Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Zumo repair trick  (Read 678 times)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
Another Zumo repair trick
« on: February 07, 2013, 02:26:13 PM »

Some may have heard this, I had not. I have an older Zumo 550 but this is also valid all Garmins. It has over 80K miles through rain, hail, snow, dust and sand storms and kept on going. Recently I had software issues (fixed) and screen issues where the screen seemed to have a mind of it's own. Changing at random, I never knew where it was going to take me. I finally learned that I had a problem with the touch screen digitiser, which is a transparent layer in front of the LCD. I cleaned the screen with alcohol and used a toothpick to clean between the digitiser surface and the bezel. I guess there was enough dirt in there to cause problems as the unit seems to be functioning correctly now.
I also found that replacement digitiser's are cheap on Eba as are the LCD panels. 

gtaboyz

• Junior CVO Member
  • Diamond Black Inferno Orange SESG

• CVO1: '04 SEEG Orange / Black
    • CVO2: '10 SESG Tequilla Sunrise
    • CVO3: '11 SESG Diamond Black / Inferno Orange
Re: Another Zumo repair trick
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 11:50:51 PM »

I haven't had to deal with that particular issue however, I always keep two bottles of alcohol handy in the garage. I regularly use 70% to clean my gps and other touch screens on my computer and touch screen radios in my cage vehicles and iPhones. I often use 90% to clean glue residue and adhesive residue when taking emblems, decals and other items off on chrome. I try to stick to the 70% on painted surfaces and plastic.
So Far....120.5HP/120.5TQ....Screamin' Eagle Pro110 Upgrade, 10.5:1 High Compression Pistons, SE-259E Cams, Baisley Adjustable Pushrods, Baisley Heads, SE 58mm Throttle Body, SE High Flow Injectors, High Performance Clutch Spring, SE Pro Super Tuner, SE Heavy Breather, D&D Fat Cat 2:1 Exhaust w/ Left Side Falsie, Chrome Inner Primary, Chrome 1.4KW Starter, HD Saddle Bag Lid Speakers w/ Rear Amp, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak, Custom Alligator Seat, Dakota Digital Hidden Antenna, Zumo 665, +++

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 20 queries.