Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Am I getting ripped off?  (Read 1505 times)

sjr

• Full CVO Member
  • The hotter the Fire.....The Stronger the Steel
Am I getting ripped off?
« on: February 15, 2013, 02:19:34 PM »

On a scale of 1 to 10, I am generally satisfied with my dealer, giving them a 9. I may need to lower that rating.
I have my 2011 Convertible in for the 1,000 mile service. ( I have more than one bike ).
Among other things I wanted checked, I mentioned that I thought the front end was a bit too soft. Even when encountering small bumps in the road at speeds over 45 the front end tends to bottom out.
as mentioned, this is not my first Harley.

Service writer called me and said the front end is within "factory specs".
I asked how that was determined and was told it was the opinion of the mechanic, however if I wanted, they would drain the old fork oil and replace it with screamin Eagle oil, which would stiffen up the front end.

Parts and labor = $100.00

Should I complain to the service manager or just pay it?

Anyone else encounter this problem?

( some may say 100.00 is not bad to get a stiffer front end, lol...but seriously.....? )

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Am I getting ripped off?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 02:29:51 PM »

I think you will get a very wide range of answers on this one.  $100 is not a bad price when you consider HD labor rates and heavier fork oil will help a little bit.  You could argue about whether this is a warranty issue, especially if you are bottoming out. Is there any evidence of a leak?  You are still stuck with an antiquated front suspension, however.  I changed to a Progressive monotube front suspension and love it.  Many others have upgraded far more than that.  It depends on how you ride and how picky you are about your suspension.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 03:09:18 PM »

It's impossible to answer your question just based on your description of a "soft front end".  Here is what I would suggest:

Get your dealership to let you ride several other similar bikes over the same course and then you determine if your bike and your front end is "normal" when compared to those other bikes.  If yours is significantly softer or bottoms much more easily, then I'd say you should insist they investigate and fix the real problem.  If yours is basically the same as all the rest, then I'd say if you want a better suspension it will be up to you to buy one.

Btw, just substituting higher viscosity fork oil isn't much of an answer but it can provide a minor improvement.  If you are reasonably handy you could drain and fill the forks yourself for just the cost of the oil.  If you have someone else do it, at today's average dealer labor rates of $80 - $100 per hour the price they quoted you isn't far out of line.  Don't expect a huge improvement however.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 09:13:19 AM »

It can be a pain in the azz to change your fork oil.  $100.00 is worth it but I don't know that the SE Fork oil will solve your problem.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 12:01:41 PM »

No to be a jerk, but how much do you weigh?

I'm 6" and weight 210, well OK 220, and neither my SED or SEUC ever bottom out upfront.  The back will on a tough one on the Deuce, and the Ultra will too, if I have the Legends pumped to the low side.

I think the key is, if the front ever bottoms before the back, there's an issue, unless you're talking about hitting curbs or something extreme.

My .02 fwiw
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

sjr

• Full CVO Member
  • The hotter the Fire.....The Stronger the Steel
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 06:19:29 PM »

I am 5'9" and weigh 189, so I don't think that is the issue. I picked the bike up today from the dealer and rode it home. about a 10 mile ride. The front end did feel a bit firmer. I think it was probably low on oil from the factory, but the service manager took 15% off ...so for $85.00 I'm not unhappy.
I'm fairly handy and I to tinker now and then but it was 35 degrees today and I dont like the cold garage. I prefer the warm living room, on my recliner, watching the big TV.

Counting the days till it's over 50 degrees out and I can ride again.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 09:35:50 AM »

All i know is its less than you would pay in Dubai at the HD dealer!
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 10:21:04 AM »

I am 5'9" and weigh 189, so I don't think that is the issue. I picked the bike up today from the dealer and rode it home. about a 10 mile ride. The front end did feel a bit firmer. I think it was probably low on oil from the factory, but the service manager took 15% off ...so for $85.00 I'm not unhappy.
I'm fairly handy and I to tinker now and then but it was 35 degrees today and I dont like the cold garage. I prefer the warm living room, on my recliner, watching the big TV.

Counting the days till it's over 50 degrees out and I can ride again.

Sounds like you got a fair deal. I have 12k on the FLSTSE3 and will have the dealer change mine when the weather warms here too.  :2vrolijk_21:
WD
'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 20 queries.