Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2013 SEUC Stock Muffler Mod Question  (Read 4575 times)

Lars

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, "IT'S THE RIDE"

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC8
    • CVO2: 1983 Shovelhead "Ole Black Betty"
2013 SEUC Stock Muffler Mod Question
« on: February 18, 2013, 08:09:01 PM »

I read in a publication, don't remember which one, that a guy drilled the center of the stock mufflers with a 1/2" drill bit to improve the sound and let the engine breathe better. Anyone seen this done before? What were the results?
With old age has come the wisdom to embrace my immaturity.

Lars

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: 2013 SEUC Stock Muffler Mod Question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 08:59:01 PM »

Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Lars

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 10:51:54 PM »

Thanks 2ksoftail for turning me on to the post.
I read the whole series of posts and I am going to try the mod.
The exhaust pipe extensions the MOCO put on the 2013's I have already removed them by just using a dremmel to cut the spot welds and they came right off.
With the exhaust pipe extensions removed the removal of the baffle should be the same as illustrated in the posts.

Thanks Again.

Lars

ultrarider123

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 08:29:39 AM »

Hey lars, make sure to post a reply on either this thread of my thread on the plug removal and how you did/didn't like it.  You should really like the change it makes and cost is pennies if you have a dremel and the grinding wheel already.  Good luck  ;D

Lars

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »

How does the muffler mod sound compared to the sound of Rinehart or V&H Ovals???
Is it louder? Is it a deeper rumble?  Just curious as to what to expect sound wise compared to after market brands.

Lars

ultrarider123

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 10:51:09 PM »

Nice thing on the plug removal is during highway rides and idling or normal acceleration, it's a bit louder with a nice rumble. But getting in it from takeoff or accelerating at highway speeds you really notice. And, if its still not loud enough for ya, you can then spend some dough on a muffler and/or header. It's a cheap start and about all I plan to do exhaust wise. When my warranty is gone, may go the fulsac header and a tuner but that's way down the road. Pretty happy with the 110 as is

Lars

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 09:49:16 PM »

When I do the plug removal I was wondering if it would be advantageous to look at maybe having the ECM remapped (If that's even an option) to richen things up and get the best performance out of a basically stock 110 motor or just buy a plug and play Xi ed unit??
I'm showing my electronic tuner ignorance so please have patience.

Lars

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 10:31:20 PM »

With just the plug removal, you don't have to do anything else unless you choose to. As they come very lean from the factory, a tuner wouldn't hurt but if it was mine and I still had warranty left, I would only go with an HD SE tuner but that's me. You will get lots of opinions either way. I chose not to do a tuner and it runs fine as is (for me)

Lars

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 11:35:49 PM »

I removed the plugs from my CVO mufflers today and man what an improvement. I like the sound, it's just what I was hoping for. It has a low deep rumble at idle and very mellow at road speed and has a deep bark when you roll on it. I don't know if it was just me but it felt like it has a little more snoose than before. It felt good. It only took about 15 minutes per muffler and that included the removal and reinstall.
If it hadn't been for this site I would never have realized how simple a process it was.
I think I will get a set of adjustable Xied mod to richen the mixture up a little and call it good for now.
Love that SEUC, Harley at it's finest. Can't wait for the trip to Milwaukee in August.

Lars

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 03:04:15 PM »

yeh Lars, I took my plugs out last week. I'm impressed with the difference, so far. I've already had the cat removed & se tuner. The price was right! talked with Haird the other day. He doesn't think I'll need to re-map. Hiard seems to be up & up, as are most on this site. But I'm still a "newbie". After 38 yrs of scootin. Enjoy         :orange: :orange:
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 03:20:01 PM »

Guys, ain't if fun to do a mod that doesn't cost an arm or leg and actually does make a difference.  Again, as I've said many times before, not all would be satisfied with just the plug removal but it's a good, inexpensive beginning and you don't have a ton in an exhaust system you may not be happy with.  Ray and Lars, glad to be of help.... :2vrolijk_21:

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 03:28:16 PM »

yeh Lars, I took my plugs out last week. I'm impressed with the difference, so far. I've already had the cat removed & se tuner. The price was right! talked with Haird the other day. He doesn't think I'll need to re-map. Hiard seems to be up & up, as are most on this site. But I'm still a "newbie". After 38 yrs of scootin. Enjoy         :orange: :orange:

Shout out to Howard for helping these guys out.  :biggthumpup: :2vrolijk_20:  I think you have a few Fans Howard and that includes me!   :P
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 04:36:11 PM »

Hey Haird - this is a pretty cool little mod!

But I still prefer ripping the bike apart and spending tons of $$$ and time replacing everything... preferably multiple times... as in two completely different exhaust systems and three sets of cams. And then retuning. And then ripping it apart again to change more stuff inside. And then retuning... again...  :drink:

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

ultrarider123

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 09:47:39 PM »

The honey badger is worth it!   :2vrolijk_21:

Lars

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 10:03:24 PM »

Living here in beautiful NW Washington State it hasn't stopped raining long enough for me to take the scoot for much of a ride except for around the block and up the freeway for about five miles but I like the plug removal mod.
I want to thank Haird for the help and to let 08glide know that I hope he has many good miles ahead of him on his great sounding scoot.

Lars.

Lars
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 24 queries.