Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Some body damage and some damage to bike...  (Read 7299 times)

Gearheadfmc

• Full CVO Member
Some body damage and some damage to bike...
« on: February 21, 2013, 06:14:39 PM »

6:40am 2/13......

Heading into work -- as I have done at least 400 times in last 2 yrs.  Road is paved with ground aggregate -- light in color rather than black and bonded by asphalty black syrup.  One block away, I slow down to take the last right and bingo..... sliding on my back, watching bike ahead of me by 20 feet.  I look around and see 1/2" aggregate all over the road -- a spill of someones gravel.  I was going between  5 and 10mph.  It was instantaneous.  Not unconscious.... I sit up and lift my leg but, right foot does not look too good.  My foot was dangling free.  I set it down and was sure there was no standing.  I laid down and waited for the routine actions of the police, paramedics and watchers.

In emergency room, it is clear the tibia is broken. X-rays show it broken with a spiral fracture from ankle to knee AND it is sheared right off -- perpendicular to the length.  Yes.... time for emergency surgery.

Now, I am the proud owner of an approximately 20" length of 9.5mm titanium rod drill and installed the length of the tibia.  It is held in place by 3,  5mm bolts.  the fibula is sheared off at the top near the knee.  They leave that alone saying it will be fine.

Surgeon says I'll be off walking for 4 weeks minimum and that it will take 12 months to fully heal.

I thank God I have my foot.

I wear leather jacket, gloves and chaps.  No boots and a half helmet.  Jacket has a hole sanded into it on right arm, shoe is sanded down, chaps are sanded about 90% on right kneed -- inside nylon just melted, helmet is gone.

Bike, 2011.5 CVO Ultra..... has $4500 damage.  From 10', looks like there is no damage.  Major components damaged is front fender ($1000), Outer fairing ($400), Lower fairing ($400), front crash bar, rear crash bar, latch of saddle bag, brake lever, mirror and a foot board.  labor from dealer to fix is $900

All in all outcome is pretty good.  Nice wake-up call from me.  Been riding on the street for 34 yrs with just a few minor incidents here and there.  Seems like a rookie mistake as I examine the situation.  Just plain careless on my part. 

People drop crap all over the roads all of the time for certain.  Part of our job is to SEE those situations and all of them.  We must be alert all of the time.

For just a moment, I asked myself if I should "retire"...... only lasted a moment (1 day)...

Riders...... please, please SEE and be careful, it only takes a split second for things to go bad. I was lucky!  Keep the shiny side up....!

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
Re: Some body damage and some damage to bike...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 06:30:23 PM »

Wishing you a speedy recovery. That sucks, amazing how much damage can be sustained at such low speeds. Best of luck to you, very glad to hear it wasn't worse.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 06:35:05 PM »

Sorry about your mishap. Hope you heal quickly.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 06:47:16 PM »

Cringed and tried to tuck my leg out of the way just reading that.  Heal fast.  PT can be kicking the house cat

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 06:52:24 PM »

Sorry for your ordeal, heal well and soon and thank you for your concern to remind us all how quick it can befall us.

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary #61
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 07:06:25 PM »

Holy crap. You were very lucky!!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Something to be looking for this spring for sure!
2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 07:27:30 PM »

So sorry to read this story.  :-\.  Sending you a speedy recovery.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 07:32:17 PM »

:( This sucks  :'(  Thank you for sharing. I wish you a speedy recovery and appreciate the reminder to watch all things including the little things.  :2vrolijk_21:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 07:50:27 PM »

Sorry to hear of your mishap...  The county lays fresh gravel on our roads once a year.  It's like riding on ice when it's fresh...hold your breath time for sure...  Good luck with your recovery!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 08:44:05 PM »

Sorry to hear of your mishap...  The county lays fresh gravel on our roads once a year.  It's like riding on ice when it's fresh...hold your breath time for sure...  Good luck with your recovery!   :2vrolijk_21:

Have a good friend local here that's about 25 miles out of town.  The last four miles up to his place is gravel farm road.  The last 1/8 mile up the house is steep and crooked too.  I stopped riding to his place several years ago after the first time.  It's just too wicked.  I don't want to ride that bad...

maia812

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 09:32:19 PM »

Sorry to hear that you went down. Take care and get well FAST...

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 09:37:12 PM »

Really sorry to hear of your mishap.................County or State going to step up and and accept responsibility? Of course thats not the most important thing, but it sounds like you will heal. Good Luck!!!!!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 09:19:28 AM »

Glad to hear it wasn't worse...Heal fast! 

Growing up in New England, they pour hot tar then spread loose gravel and have everyone's cars pack it all down over time on many of the secondary roads.  It's hell on a nice car and worse on a bike.  Of course they have to do it in warmer weather and with such a short riding season, it makes for interesting summer riding.  I never understood why they couldn't just buy a roller....

The roads down here in GA are exceptional but there is a place about four miles from me that grinds wooden pallets into mulch.  Every turn for miles around has bark chips spread throughout...it keeps me sharp! 

ultrarider123

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 10:41:37 AM »

Cringed and tried to tuck my leg out of the way just reading that.  Heal fast. 

X2 on that.  Whew, gave me a chill just thinking about it. 

These scooters are so much fun but we have to keep on our toes at all times on these things.  The one time I dropped my guard, it bit me, too.
Bad deal on your accident but can be used as a great example for the rest of us to stay alert.  Lord be with you during your speedy recovery.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 11:27:20 AM »

Gearheadfmc,

Sorry to read of your injuries but very glad that it was not worse.  Good right up. Thank you!  Also impressed that you took responsibility.   Seems to me that is the only way we can avoid the next one.  Best of luck on your recovery!

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 20 queries.