Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legend Air Suspension Question  (Read 2133 times)

BakedInMN

• Junior CVO Member
    • MN

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE
Legend Air Suspension Question
« on: February 27, 2013, 01:30:03 PM »

I just ordered the Legend Air Suspension system for my Ultra. I ordered the handle bar switch for it as well, but have a slight problem. With the hydraulic clutch (slave cylinder) on the left side of the handle bar, the switch will not fit on the handle bars. It is supposed to butt up against the left switch housing, but there is no room for it.

I plan on taking a better look at it later this week, and will probably set something up with a different switch, and locate it somewhere easy to reach and somewhat inconspicuous. I'm not a big fan of drilling holes in my vehicles, and do so only as a last resort, with that said, does anyone here have the Legend setup and if so, where did you mount the switch? A picture with your answer would be greatly appreciated.

Rich
My current stable:
1972 FLH Shovelhead
2003 FXSD 100th Anniversary Blue
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
2014 FXSBSE Molten Cobalt

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: Legend Air Suspension Question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 01:57:38 PM »

Rich, don't give up so quickly.  I have Legends on both my '07 and my '12 CUSEs and no problem mounting the switch as you can see from the photos.  I have mine wired internally in my WO575s but I had them on the stock handlebars (externally) before I changed them out.  I installed the Legends when I had my stock bars and don't recall having any problem.  

When my dealer installed the handlebars I think he said he had to 'relieve' the switch a bit by careful grinding with a Dremel tool so it would butt up against the switch housing.

My 2007 CUSE2

My 2012 CUSE7
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 02:15:21 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

BakedInMN

• Junior CVO Member
    • MN

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 02:32:42 PM »

Thanks for the info and pictures. I'll try and install them tonight, I'll just make sure my Dremel is nearby ;-)
My current stable:
1972 FLH Shovelhead

SOTLucky

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2013 CVO Ultra Classic 110 Anniv Edition
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 06:08:37 PM »

Another idea also is you can buy the Arnott air ride switch.  I have legends and installed the Arnott switch because I had an extra one from a previous bike.  It just uses the bottom bolt.  See the pic below.

SOTLucky

BakedInMN

• Junior CVO Member
    • MN

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 10:52:38 AM »

Like every other part of my body, my fingers are short stubby sausages. The Arnott looks like it may work better for me. However, seeing as I already have the Legend switch in possession, I'll try that first. If that doesn't work for me the Arnott will be the next one I'll try.

I was going to install the system yesterday, but it was a little colder than I'd prefer to work on the bike. However, with the proper gear, it was good enough to take a short ride  :) , so I did that instead.

Once again thanks for the suggestion and pictures!
My current stable:
1972 FLH Shovelhead

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 10:55:59 AM »

How about a small toggle in the dash, opposite the odometer reset. That's how I have mine.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

BakedInMN

• Junior CVO Member
    • MN

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 01:02:47 PM »

I received an email from Thore at Legend. He told me that the back piece of the mount does not have to be installed and it is only there for cosmetics. He said that just bolting the front part of the bracket to the existing HD left switch housing will hold it securely in place.

I'll be giving that a shot first.

Drilling a hole in the inner fairing would be a last resort. I am mechanically inclined, but anything that involves cutting, drilling, fabricating, or any other precision skill is not my strong suit. I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler...
My current stable:
1972 FLH Shovelhead

BakedInMN

• Junior CVO Member
    • MN

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »

I finished up installing the Legend Air Suspension kit yesterday, and have a question.

The kit comes with two sets of spacers which goes between the shock and the mounting points on the bike. There is a "thicker" spacer, to be used on 2008 Ultras and earlier, and a "thin" spacer for 2009 Ultras and later. I initially used the thin spacer, and the top cap on the shock had about 1/16" clearance from the bottom of the rear fender trim. I was concerned that the cap would come into contact with the trim, and installed the thicker spacers to alleviate the problem.

After I got it all setup and raised it and lowered it a few times, I was satisfied with the way it worked and realized that I couldn't put my saddle bags back on (due to clearance from the side of the shock).  I should have remembered that from lowering my 2010 Ultra, but my memory tends to kick after I relive a piss poor decision, but that is a story for another day.

This leads me to the conclusion that the thinner spacers need to be installed for the saddle bags to fit. The vertical clearance between the top cap of the shock and the trim rail along the rear fender, shouldn't be an issue. I assume that the shock cap will move, but it's movement should not hit the trim.

If someone could post a picture of the shock top mount (either side) that shows the cap and it's relationship to the trim rail on the rear fender, I'd appreciate it. The cap I'm talking about is the round piece that sits on top of the rubber "body" of the shock.

Overall the install is very painless, and the instructions are very well detailed. I'll be able to rate the ride quality and functionality when the freakin' snow stops falling.

Thanks in advance for your help!

My current stable:
1972 FLH Shovelhead

BakedInMN

• Junior CVO Member
    • MN

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 07:49:29 PM »

Got home after work, and swapped out the thick spacers with the thin ones. It's a tight fit, but it seems to be working fine.

Now if the weather could stay above freezing for a few days, I'd be able to get her out for a ride..
My current stable:
1972 FLH Shovelhead

SOTLucky

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2013 CVO Ultra Classic 110 Anniv Edition
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 10:37:37 AM »

I installed the legend air ride on my 13 cvo ultra and used the thin spacer as it says in instructions.  Mine is running great and there are no issues.

SOTLucky

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 20 queries.