Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Quietest mufflers  (Read 30565 times)

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
Re: Quietest mufflers
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2007, 06:49:54 PM »

Sorry to jack this one up again, but I been thinkin' (all I can do 'til the B&O gets here).  Someone in this thread indicated that true duals will make any pipes somewhat louder.  I'm thinking about going to the V&H true duals (thanks Howie - more $$), but keeping the stock SE Touring mufflers that come on the CUSE2.  Anyone gone down this path as yet? I want the HD sound, but without the loud bark on the highway.  Any tuning issues with this arrangement?
TIA,
Tony

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2007, 06:57:30 PM »

Sorry to jack this one up again, but I been thinkin' (all I can do 'til the B&O gets here).  Someone in this thread indicated that true duals will make any pipes somewhat louder.  I'm thinking about going to the V&H true duals (thanks Howie - more $$), but keeping the stock SE Touring mufflers that come on the CUSE2.  Anyone gone down this path as yet? I want the HD sound, but without the loud bark on the highway.  Any tuning issues with this arrangement?
TIA,
Tony

I tried it, but didn't like it. They are so restrictive, you could hear the breather trying to suck air. In my search for quiet, I just bought some Supertrapp megaphone disk slip ons. With all twelve discs in, they are still very quiet at anything other than full acceleration. Just a nice deep sound, no popping, grumnbling, or decel sounds between shifts.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

• CVO1: 2010 Burnt Amber/Citrus
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG Two Tone Red
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG BWO
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2007, 07:16:01 PM »

TC, I had a  conversation with my sales guy this afternoon about doing that very thing.  I was going to try the V&H duals with SE muffler for 07, the one the book says will not work on our bikes.  Read somewhere that they are only a couple of db's louder than stock.  My sales guy says they are a waste of money.  So in the name of saving some dollars I am going to do the duals with the stock mufflers and see what it sounds like.  Based on my history with the 05, this will probably not be where I end up.  If I did not like the way the stock mufflers look the decision would be easy.  Some kind of V&H slip and be done with it.  But that is too easy.

I am kind of intrigued with the Fulsac conversion the GCSuper did.  But I believe that he had stated they were too loud.  I had done the Kerker conversion on the 05, both different baffle set ups that were mentioned on this site two years ago.  Did not like either one of them.  The 12 inch was way too loud and the 18 inch had popping sound to it that I could not get by.

john

"The past is a place to be remembered, but not a place to dwell"

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2007, 07:51:54 PM »

All I hear is everyone asking for the SPO's in this thread! Learn to love 'em! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

• CVO1: 2010 Burnt Amber/Citrus
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG Two Tone Red
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG BWO
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2007, 07:58:24 PM »

Sound great.  Look like chit, IMHO.

john
"The past is a place to be remembered, but not a place to dwell"

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2007, 08:00:30 PM »

All I hear is everyone asking for the SPO's in this thread! Learn to love 'em! ;) Hoist! 8)
Howie,
Should I have expected anything less from your corner :nixweiss:?  I'm thinking that's probably where I'll land at some point, but remember I'm "getting older" and don't hear so good anymore ;D, so want to try some options along the way.
Thanks John and GCSuper,
Tony

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2007, 08:12:06 PM »

Sound great.  Look like chit, IMHO.

john

John you hit it right on the head. Nothin' better than spending $30K on a bike and putting hi performance ugly chit on it. One mans junk is another man's treasure! There's plenty of beauty in all the ugliness, especially when it annoys others that can't see how you could do that to such a "lovely" motorcycle! And if you want everybody's approval, buy the Rineharts! ;) Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2007, 09:13:20 PM »

TIA,
Tony
Tony,
You can take this for what it's worth, but if you want the HD sound, don't stick with the stock SEUC mufflers.  They don't sound "HD", they sound Japaneese.  I've never heard an HD sound so "tinny" until I heard the stock mufflers.  The stock FLHTCU mufflers on the 96ci engine sound better than the CVO stock pipes.  I am so glad I got rid of those stock mufflers.  JMHO ...
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2007, 09:39:11 PM »

Tony,
You can take this for what it's worth, but if you want the HD sound, don't stick with the stock SEUC mufflers.  They don't sound "HD", they sound Japaneese.  I've never heard an HD sound so "tinny" until I heard the stock mufflers.  The stock FLHTCU mufflers on the 96ci engine sound better than the CVO stock pipes.  I am so glad I got rid of those stock mufflers.  JMHO ...
Red

Tony, ditto Red! ;) Hoist! 8)

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2007, 09:58:21 PM »

Tony, ditto Red! ;) Hoist! 8)
I think I get it guys :).  Now just have to decide which way to go.
Thanks for all the input guys!
Tony

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2007, 08:36:20 AM »

TC, I had a  conversation with my sales guy this afternoon about doing that very thing.  I was going to try the V&H duals with SE muffler for 07, the one the book says will not work on our bikes.  Read somewhere that they are only a couple of db's louder than stock.  My sales guy says they are a waste of money.  So in the name of saving some dollars I am going to do the duals with the stock mufflers and see what it sounds like.  Based on my history with the 05, this will probably not be where I end up.  If I did not like the way the stock mufflers look the decision would be easy.  Some kind of V&H slip and be done with it.  But that is too easy.

I am kind of intrigued with the Fulsac conversion the GCSuper did.  But I believe that he had stated they were too loud.  I had done the Kerker conversion on the 05, both different baffle set ups that were mentioned on this site two years ago.  Did not like either one of them.  The 12 inch was way too loud and the 18 inch had popping sound to it that I could not get by.

john

Yea, I was a little dissapointed. The sound is great, and the looks great also, but I guess I'm just getting old. Plus the full face helmet that I now wear changes the sound of mufflers drastically. I'm very happy with the Supertrapps sound wise, just wish they looked like the FC conversion.

Robert
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2007, 11:18:21 AM »

Okay I give up! apparently stock mufflers just don't handle mods very well.

Why not just leave the stock mufflers on? I dont understand you want quieter? There aint quieter than stock!
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

UglyJohn

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2007, 11:31:11 AM »

I left the stock SE muffs on for I like the quietness of them. Most of the brothers that I ride with have the more quieter muffs now since our goal is to run the tires off the bikes and stealth through any town.  8) We don't like to be noticed if you know what I mean. Also, most of us are part deaf anyway from the years of having loud pipes, such as me. However, just to let you know, you can still have some performance with the stock pipes, not on top, but respectful. Mine just got dynoed with SE muffs, SE A/C and SERT and I'm told that the bike has 94hp with 104 pounds of torque. I haven't had the chance to actually pick up the dyno sheet yet, but that's from the tech yesterday and they have always been straight up with me.
Ugly John
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

woody

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2007, 10:22:33 AM »

Tony,
Red

I agree, the stock 110 CVO mufflers have a strange sound to them. Just don't like. :nixweiss:
WOODY

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2007, 06:41:17 PM »

Why not just leave the stock mufflers on? I dont understand you want quieter? There aint quieter than stock!
CVOwner,
What I'm looking for is improved performance, less heat, but without obnoxious exhaust bark.  I'm concerned the stock SE Touring mufflers won't give me all three.  They certainly are quiet, but less heat and performance - I'm not so sure.
I appreciate everyone's input.
Tony
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.