Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Author Topic: Quietest mufflers  (Read 30564 times)

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
Re: Quietest mufflers
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2007, 10:46:41 AM »

Okay.  One last question  ;).  Anyone have any experience with the D&D Police Interceptor slip-ons?  Their pitch is they have a "special" noise reducing baffle that doesn't rob power...
I'm still looking for that "perfect" exhaust.
TIA,
Tony

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2007, 11:02:24 AM »

CVOwner,
What I'm looking for is improved performance, less heat, but without obnoxious exhaust bark.  I'm concerned the stock SE Touring mufflers won't give me all three.  They certainly are quiet, but less heat and performance - I'm not so sure.
I appreciate everyone's input.
Tony

Well, I have the freedoms. Now, when you stomp on it, it barks! Performance is really good with these pipes, or, it has been for me. But normal riding, I cant even hear'em. Many people have told me how much they like the sound, not loud, I dont like loud for no reason. Like the guys at the light crackin the throttle to try and get people to look at them. But, then again, I am a little deaf too!
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2007, 12:36:42 PM »

Okay.  One last question  ;).  Anyone have any experience with the D&D Police Interceptor slip-ons?  Their pitch is they have a "special" noise reducing baffle that doesn't rob power...
TIA,
Tony

The only things I can tell you is:

Like the SPO's, they are stainless.  Not too flashy, but they were actually made for police bikes, so sound/performance were more important than looks.

Heard a police bike the other day with them on it. It was OK, pretty similar to the HD touring muffs, but knowing D&D, I'm certain the performance is better than anything HD.

Take a look at the Supertrapp stuff.  Either the megaphone or internal disc set-up. Supertrapps have always been know for quiet power.

2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2007, 12:56:02 PM »

TIA,
Tony
Tony,
Those look more like the SE Slash-down mufflers and may be more what you're looking for.  Wonder if you can get a sound clip from them?  :nixweiss:
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2007, 02:13:03 PM »

Tony,
Those look more like the SE Slash-down mufflers and may be more what you're looking for.  Wonder if you can get a sound clip from them?  :nixweiss:
Red
Thanks, Red.  I emailed them requesting exactly that.  I know the motor cops up here in Prince William use Kerkers.  A bit too "tin can" sounding to me.  Guess I'll keep fishing for awhile.  I'll be seeing Howie hopefully in York and will get a chance to hear/see his SPOs.  I've pretty much decided at this point to break it in stock with the exception of the A/C and a SERT and go from there.
Tony

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2007, 02:52:54 PM »

Thanks, Red.  I emailed them requesting exactly that.  I know the motor cops up here in Prince William use Kerkers.  A bit too "tin can" sounding to me.  Guess I'll keep fishing for awhile.  I'll be seeing Howie hopefully in York and will get a chance to hear/see his SPOs.  I've pretty much decided at this point to break it in stock with the exception of the A/C and a SERT and go from there.
Tony
I hear ya Tony.  It's a tough choice.  There aren't very many real quite aftermarket pipes out there.  I believe some of the DC cops use the D&D's (or something very similar) and they are definitely quieter than their fat cats, but I wouldn't exactly call them quiet, especially when they get on them.  Like I said in another thread, I got a chance to hear the S&S's and they are quieter than my V&H Ovals, but louder than stock.  I personally didn't care for the sound or the looks, but that's just me.  Obviously, I like oval mufflers though.  ;)  I'm very happy with the sound of the V&H Ovals, they're, at least in my book, not too loud I can keep them relatively quiet when going through the neighborhood at 5:15 in the morning, but will bark if I get on them.  I know you had/have the ovals, so you are looking for something even quieter...that will be tough.  :-\
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2007, 03:00:24 PM »

Has anyone had an opportunity to listen to the Rineharts with the 2" baffle instead of the standard 2 1/4"?  I haven't, and was just wondering how much quieter they are.  That be worth checking into.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2007, 03:06:55 PM »

I hear ya Tony.  It's a tough choice.  There aren't very many real quite aftermarket pipes out there.  I believe some of the DC cops use the D&D's (or something very similar) and they are definitely quieter than their fat cats, but I wouldn't exactly call them quiet, especially when they get on them.  Like I said in another thread, I got a chance to hear the S&S's and they are quieter than my V&H Ovals, but louder than stock.  I personally didn't care for the sound or the looks, but that's just me.  Obviously, I like oval mufflers though.  ;)  I'm very happy with the sound of the V&H Ovals, they're, at least in my book, not too loud I can keep them relatively quiet when going through the neighborhood at 5:15 in the morning, but will bark if I get on them.  I know you had/have the ovals, so you are looking for something even quieter...that will be tough.  :-\
Red

Tony, this is a correct statement except, I happen to like the sound. They are definitely the loudest I wanted, but not too loud for me. Basically, I'm saying the volume is perfect. I like the tone also. Some might not. They are definitely big and heavy. They also seem like they'll last forever. I don't know how to describe them any better. But you'll get to see and hear them in York! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2007, 03:21:21 PM »

Tony, this is a correct statement except, I happen to like the sound. They are definitely the loudest I wanted, but not too loud for me. Basically, I'm saying the volume is perfect. I like the tone also. Some might not. They are definitely big and heavy. They also seem like they'll last forever. I don't know how to describe them any better. But you'll get to see and hear them in York! ;) Hoist! 8)
Thanks, guys.  Maybe I should just start a home for wayward, cast-off Harley exhaust systems - send me your tired, your troubled Fat Cats, SPOs and I will wash them, care for them, and "try them out"...
The next time you guys are out and see some idiot running around with a recording device behind Harleys, it'll probably be me ;).
Thanks again,
Tony

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2007, 03:24:29 PM »

Thanks, guys.  Maybe I should just start a home for wayward, cast-off Harley exhaust systems - send me your tired, your troubled Fat Cats, SPOs and I will wash them, care for them, and "try them out"...
The next time you guys are out and see some idiot running around with a recording device behind Harleys, it'll probably be me ;).
Thanks again,
Tony
Hmmmmm, maybe you can put an S&S on one side and a V&H on the other and you'll get the perfect "tweener" sound.... :D   Might look a little bizare though.... ;)
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2007, 03:30:13 PM »

Hmmmmm, maybe you can put an S&S on one side and a V&H on the other and you'll get the perfect "tweener" sound.... :D   Might look a little bizare though.... ;)
Red
Just imagine the tuning headache that would be. :nervous:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2007, 03:37:11 PM »

Just imagine the tuning headache that would be. :nervous:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
d00d, you got that right...forget AFR, just trying to get the jugs to balance out.... ;D
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2007, 06:46:39 PM »

Has anyone had an opportunity to listen to the Rineharts with the 2" baffle instead of the standard 2 1/4"?  I haven't, and was just wondering how much quieter they are.  That be worth checking into.

Been there, done that. It was on a different bike, but it's really a joke to call the 2" baffle quiet. I really couldn't tell any difference. Even tried packing. Not much change in sound.  If mufflers/exhaust systems were like women, I'd be in Wilt Chamberlin's company.  ;D  Lots of notches on my muffler bedpost.   :P  Got three sets on the shelf now I need to sell, trade, or trash.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

hwyfever

• Full CVO Member
  • Stopped Living Vicariously

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2007, 02:13:30 PM »

My results are the same as yours Super...  I got sucked into buying the quieter 2" baffle...  Not even a little change in sound...  Now I am considering the SPO mufflers and am resisiting because I am running out of storage space to put all the exhaust systems I've "tested"...   By the way, did we ever decide which was better to install SPO onto stock HD headers or TDs???  Also, I wonder if the exhaust mfg ever visit these sites to see how much interest there is for a quieter perfomance exhaust system?
HD Hyd Cam Plate Conversion, Zippers Red Shift 575, SE Adjustable Push Rods
SE Race Tuner, Zippers Highflow Air Cleaner, S&S True Duals, Bub Stealth 7,
Progressive Monotube Cartridge Forks, Progressive 940 shocks

What I fear most when I die is my wife selling my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2007, 02:27:58 PM »

hi hwyfever,
I did lot's of research before I decided on my SPOs. I contacted both S&S and Vance&Hines and got email from their techs about which way to go.(Take a look at my thread about headpipe survey)
Both companies told me that if I wanted to have the best low and mid range torque that I should keep the stock headpipes. Vance& Hines did say the true duals would help prevent popping on deceleration but so far I have about 450 miles on my SPOs with stock headers and have not heard any popping and the bike runs cooler and has more pep over stock setup. I have not had it  run on a dyno but seat of the pants dyno tells me it was an improvement. I have not had the bottoming out that another member has had with the SPOs but I am on flat ground and am not very aggressive in the corners when I ride.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.