Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Author Topic: Quietest mufflers  (Read 30576 times)

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
Re: Quietest mufflers
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2007, 10:39:12 PM »

You gotta watch those DB numbers. Each 3DB is exactly double the referenced output sound level. For example, 88DB stock  and only 3DB above is double the noise level, another 3  DB is double the last 3 DB again.

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2007, 01:53:41 PM »

I had Harley's slip on Touring Mufflers on my 2000 Ultra.  I really liked them.  They worked well with my Stage 1 big bore 95" motor.  Does anybody know if these are still available? 
They had a nice sound, were quiet, provided an increase in performance vs. stock- just about what most people on this site seem to be looking for.
I'm sure Harley doesn't sell 'em, but they were probably made by Kerker or Supertrapp. 
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

rmarion

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2007, 12:31:46 AM »

I know beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, but has anyone actually tried the LSR Blackhole 2-1 pipes?  From what I have read on their site, and other V-twin forum sites, people seem to really like 'em.

yep

I have them on my ride..........
2006 FLHTCUSE - Candy/Black
SERT
SEAC
Branch Head Work
BP 595 cam gear drive
2:1 RB Racing Black Hole
Hawgwired Speakers & Amps
Rock & Roll Paint
Danny Grey Seat

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2007, 01:33:04 PM »

yep

I have them on my ride..........

How do you like them?  How's the noise level?  Fit and finish?  I am thinking of getting a set of these.  -Steve

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2007, 01:52:52 PM »

I orignally put the LSR Blackhole on my bike with the Jims 120 Engine great looking and well built pipe, however, I had Matt Gross (Phoenix) attempt to tune the bike with them on, and for the life us we could not get the engine to run like we thought it should.

What we found was that torque and horsepower dropped like a brick. He covered half of the rear of the pipe with a piece of plywood the HP and TQ shot up were we expected it should be. Removed the piece of plywood and it dropped rapidly again. Put it back on and it was great, removed and dropped back down.

This engine was the Jims 120, it had the SBC Vortec Heads, S&S 675 Gear Drive Cams, Kuraykyn 57mm Throttle Body c/w 6.63 injectors, rest engine stock. 

Put the V&H Pro Pipe on and has HP of 131 and TQ of 134 lb. ft., so needless to say, ran with the V&H Pro Pipe, now back back the Freedom Cycles True Duals as I was blowing the packing out of the V&H Pro Pipe and after 600 - 700 mile days the noise was apain in the ears.

I am going to try the new BUB Seven True Duals when I get the new JIMS 120 engine in the bike.

geezerglide

geezerglide
I know beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, but has anyone actually tried the LSR Blackhole 2-1 pipes?  From what I have read on their site, and other V-twin forum sites, people seem to really like 'em.

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2007, 02:29:21 PM »

Thanks, Geezerglide.  I won't waste my time on the LSR Blackholes.  -Still trying to figure out something quiet but with a nice increase in performance.  I used a rented '07 Ultra (non CVO)for a recent trip and enjoyed the stock pipes.  However, as much as I like slightly salted roasted nuts, when they're my own, I really don't care to partake!
The bike averaged over 52 mpg on the trip, but was hotter than the hubs of hell.  -I know that's mostly do to the lean AFR. 

I have a good friend who recently insalled a set of Supertrapp SE slip-ons on his '07 Ultra and he thinks they are a little too loud.  From what I've read, they are probably the quietest alternative to stock pipes.  I know they are 3 db louder than stock- which is double, but that doesn't seem like it would be too bad.  (My buddy lives 400 mi. away, so I haven't heard them myself.)

The search continues!  I play guitar and have see the same problem in reading reviews about amps and guitars as I do  when researching exhaust systems.  No matter how much you try to explain what something sounds like, until you have heard it and tried it for yourself, you're really not sure what you're getting.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2007, 02:44:13 PM »

Try this site...they now have a slip on that fits the Rinehart stepped header pipes, so you can have the best of all worlds.  They offer baffles from 1.5" to 2.5", and a miriad of end caps, some of which I have never seen before.  I think these folks used to build the 98B Screaming Eagle Slip ons, which were excellent mufflers.  This application (the 2" headpipe version) is not listed on their website yet, but it is available.

From what I understand, this will give the low end TQ that the RH true duals lose, and have less reversion for easier, more accurate tuning.  The guy recommended the 1.75" baffle for good sound, but not too loud to overpower the radio.

Just another option.  They have sound bites you can listen to.

www.epiflex.com

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2007, 03:03:58 PM »

Thanks, Geezerglide.  I won't waste my time on the LSR Blackholes.  -Still trying to figure out something quiet but with a nice increase in performance.  I used a rented '07 Ultra (non CVO)for a recent trip and enjoyed the stock pipes.  However, as much as I like slightly salted roasted nuts, when they're my own, I really don't care to partake!
The bike averaged over 52 mpg on the trip, but was hotter than the hubs of hell.  -I know that's mostly do to the lean AFR. 

I have a good friend who recently insalled a set of Supertrapp SE slip-ons on his '07 Ultra and he thinks they are a little too loud.  From what I've read, they are probably the quietest alternative to stock pipes.  I know they are 3 db louder than stock- which is double, but that doesn't seem like it would be too bad.  (My buddy lives 400 mi. away, so I haven't heard them myself.)

The search continues!  I play guitar and have see the same problem in reading reviews about amps and guitars as I do  when researching exhaust systems.  No matter how much you try to explain what something sounds like, until you have heard it and tried it for yourself, you're really not sure what you're getting.

If you're doing it on a relatively stock setup (mild or stock cams and freeflow A/C), I've said it a million times. NOTHING BEATS THE S&S SPO's (Stainless Performance Ovals) for quiet performance!!! Use any 1-3/4" TD's or stock headpipes, and these slipons rule!!! The looks take some getting used to. If you can't get past that, oh well. But I loved them until they couldn't keep up with my new build. No quiet exhaust outperforms the S&S SPO's! Period!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2007, 08:25:19 PM »

Try this site...they now have a slip on that fits the Rinehart stepped header pipes, so you can have the best of all worlds.  They offer baffles from 1.5" to 2.5", and a miriad of end caps, some of which I have never seen before.  I think these folks used to build the 98B Screaming Eagle Slip ons, which were excellent mufflers.  This application (the 2" headpipe version) is not listed on their website yet, but it is available.

From what I understand, this will give the low end TQ that the RH true duals lose, and have less reversion for easier, more accurate tuning.  The guy recommended the 1.75" baffle for good sound, but not too loud to overpower the radio.

www.epiflex.com

I actually had the 2" Rush mufflers on my '06 CVO Ultra.  They were really pretty nice.  Most of the time they weren't too loud, but sometimes they were.  I asked about smaller baffles.  Actually talked to one of the owners.  I was told that I would lose performance and that they recommended sticking with the 2" baffles.  One thing I noticed was that the right side exhaust turned blue and gold in the middle.  If I didn't have a radio, or had a Road King or something, I wouldn't hesitate getting another set.  They are really well made and have a nice deep rumble.  -Steve

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2007, 05:15:37 AM »

I orignally put the LSR Blackhole on my bike with the Jims 120 Engine great looking and well built pipe, however, I had Matt Gross (Phoenix) attempt to tune the bike with them on, and for the life us we could not get the engine to run like we thought it should.

What we found was that torque and horsepower dropped like a brick. He covered half of the rear of the pipe with a piece of plywood the HP and TQ shot up were we expected it should be. Removed the piece of plywood and it dropped rapidly again. Put it back on and it was great, removed and dropped back down.

This engine was the Jims 120, it had the SBC Vortec Heads, S&S 675 Gear Drive Cams, Kuraykyn 57mm Throttle Body c/w 6.63 injectors, rest engine stock. 

Put the V&H Pro Pipe on and has HP of 131 and TQ of 134 lb. ft., so needless to say, ran with the V&H Pro Pipe, now back back the Freedom Cycles True Duals as I was blowing the packing out of the V&H Pro Pipe and after 600 - 700 mile days the noise was apain in the ears.

I am going to try the new BUB Seven True Duals when I get the new JIMS 120 engine in the bike.

geezerglide

geezerglide

so, do you think the black hole would work well for high output applications if you welded a bar or strap inside the end of the pipe? kinda like bending the tabs on thunderheader for final tuning? or should we just avoid the pipe for large motors?

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2007, 06:42:07 PM »

so, do you think the black hole would work well for high output applications if you welded a bar or strap inside the end of the pipe? kinda like bending the tabs on thunderheader for final tuning? or should we just avoid the pipe for large motors?

It might work, however it would be a very expensive experiment, if I remember correctly the LSR Blackhole 2:1 is approximately $1200.00.

geezerglide

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2007, 07:39:12 PM »

www.epiflex.com

Thinking about going to Basanni Power Curve  and Supertrapp Super Meg slip-on's. Any feed back on this combo??? I think the Basanni is kinda Fugley but I 'm told it makes some damn good numbers and the Supertrapps would let me tune it with discs>>> Thanks Greg     

Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2007, 08:00:37 PM »

Greg, one thing I'll tell you is the Power curve thingy is hot in our part of the USA. Even if you might be able to tune another hp or 2, it wasn't worth it to me. Plus, with the supermegs, you could maybe run different #'s if discs like they do with stock headers. I've not dynoed mine since going to the ST's cause it just runs too good like it is to take a chance of F'ing it up. If these are the ones you got on e-bay, how many discs did you get?

Later, Robert
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 08:02:53 PM by GC_Super »
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Ultra
    • CVO2: 09 Fatbob
« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2008, 10:38:53 PM »

I had the opportunity to listen to a bike with the Rinehart true duals, and one with the V&H duals and oval slippons, at my dealer before I made the decision on what to put on my 07 SEUC.   I really liked the sounds of both mufflers, but the V&H ovals just sounded a little more "Harley" to me then the Rineharts.  The Rineharts were just a tad louder than the ovals too.   I have the standard baffles in my ovals and I can hear the radio fine at 75 mph.  V&H also makes a "quiet baffle" as an option for the ovals, so that might be something you want to considers.   Supposedly, the ovals with the standard baffles measure 98 db at three feet distance/half throttle, where the Rineharts are 103 db measure three feet directly behind the bike at half throttle.  Like I said they are a tad louder.  The V&H quiet baffles are supposed to drop the noise down to 93-94 db using the same measuring technique.  My understanding is the "stock" CVO mufflers are 88 db.    Quite a few muffler manufacturers are starting to come out with "quiet" baffle options now.

Red

Are you sure about the quiet baffles for the oval? I have been looking around and have not found them.

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2008, 10:46:30 PM »

Sure wish there were quiet baffles for the V&H Ovals.

I just removed them and replaced with Harley SE slipons (82db vs. 98dB). The ovals will be on sale online here in a coupla weeks.

They seem to pull just as good as the Ovals without deafening the ears but I'll have it dynoed after they replace my top end in the next few weeks (oil leak number 3).

Mark
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 21 queries.