Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Spark plugs  (Read 5498 times)

fukngitit

Spark plugs
« on: March 06, 2013, 11:47:36 PM »

Has anybody tried the Pulstar plugs in their bike yet. Just curious if they are worth the money and produce the power that they claim. They say up to 12%. I find that hard to believe but what do I know...?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Spark plugs
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 12:45:14 AM »

Has anybody tried the Pulstar plugs in their bike yet. Just curious if they are worth the money and produce the power that they claim. They say up to 12%. I find that hard to believe but what do I know...?

"They" be full of chit.  Keep the money in your pocket on fancy high performance plugs and wires. 

Might be worth spending a little more on an expensive plug if done to extend service intervals.  But if I did that I'd still be breaking them loose every year just to make sure nothing was seizing to the aluminum head.  So even there wouldn't really be gaining anything.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:28:53 AM »

I have found that most all adds to increase power, gas mileage, tire wear are a bunch hooey!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 08:52:56 AM »

If it was that easy to achieve 12% every would have them! load of chit....
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:04:51 AM »

Complete and total BS.  This is nothing but a scam, just like most products that make unsubstantiated claims and rely on slick ads.

Btw, I can get you a 12% power increase with a set of standard plugs IF you use them to replace a set with rounded off electrodes and wide gaps (things that cause misfires).  And if they ever were pushed to prove their bogus claim, I'll guarantee you they would dig up some really fine print that basically says "when replacing a set of worn plugs". 

Stick with the stock plugs and you will be just fine.  Spending two or three or four times as much for the various offerings hyping so-called performance improvements is like throwing your money down a storm drain.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

maia812

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 10:55:37 AM »

Scam  for sure

fukngitit

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 01:03:49 PM »

I find it hard to believe aswell but I do know that the NGK iriduim plugs make more power cause I have used them in the past and changed from a stock plug to and NGK plug while it was on the dyno and saw the numbers.

maia812

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 01:51:17 PM »

I find it hard to believe aswell but I do know that the NGK iriduim plugs make more power cause I have used them in the past and changed from a stock plug to and NGK plug while it was on the dyno and saw the numbers.
what was the difference in  # 's

fukngitit

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 02:12:25 PM »

The NGK plugs gave me 1hp and 2ftlbs more then the stock plugs. Not bad for $12 and less then 5 min worth of work

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 02:17:17 PM »

The NGK plugs gave me 1hp and 2ftlbs more then the stock plugs. Not bad for $12 and less then 5 min worth of work

Couple of thoughts.  First is that difference is within a margin of error or variation on pulls measuring from one to another as done by a human operator.  Second is that some small but measurable gain might be expected from any old tired plug to any new good plug.

fukngitit

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 02:23:39 PM »

The bike had 1000 miles when I changed the plugs and done a tune on the motor. After doing the tune and getting final results, I then changed the plugs to the Ngk. We made 3 runs with the new plugs in and it made these numbers consistantly on all 3 runs.

fukngitit

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 02:36:36 PM »

98fxstc

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 FXDFSE
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 10:57:16 PM »

Could also have been better orientation of new plugs compared with old ones.
As in indexing .
(But I have got some DCPR7EIX-9 plugs to try!!)  :)

SanJuanRon

• Full CVO Member
  • Way Up High In The Mountains and Down By The Sea!
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 11:17:17 PM »

I swapped out the stock plugs to NGK Iridium IX several years ago and would recommend.  SJ Ron
2011.5 FLHTCUSE6, Candy Cobalt & Twilight Blue, HCC 14" Apes, V&H 2:1 Pro Pipe Chrome, Stage 1
2009 FLSTN, Tango Orange, Carlini 17" Flying Apes & High Roller Risers/Air Cover, V&H True Dual Pipes/Fishtails, LePera Seat, Stage 1, Chromed
2005 FLSTCI, Vivid Black, Wild 1 18" Psycho Apes, V&H Big Shot Long Pipes, LePera Seat, Stage 1, Chromed, 21/18 Sinister Wheels

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 01:40:54 AM »

Could also have been better orientation of new plugs compared with old ones.
As in indexing .
(But I have got some DCPR7EIX-9 plugs to try!!)  :)

Slight difference in indexing, slight difference in air over the dyno and many many other things accidental or intentional will give differences larger than is being suggested here; and most of those differences aren't even real.  Here we're talking about spending money on plugs (cheap) and dyno time (not cheap) to confirm what's only a relative difference anyway and that is so small that, even if real, we'd never feel it from the saddle. 

If it feels good ride it.  Enjoy it.  Don't obsess over minutia; it ruins the ride.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 24 queries.