Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: While I'm in there? (cam install)  (Read 6634 times)

silverone

• Full CVO Member
While I'm in there? (cam install)
« on: March 18, 2013, 05:12:20 PM »

My 07 SEUC 110 is getting a new set of cams, Kury tc24d's & crusher slip ons the motor has 26k I'm already going to have new lifters and cam shoe installed, but what about the oiling system? Would it be a good time to upgrade that as well? Thanks in advance. Any thing else you can think of that I should do?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 06:20:22 PM by silverone »

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: While I'm in there? (cam install)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 07:25:44 AM »

Zippers offers an oil bypass upgrade.
Scott

silverone

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 10:51:07 AM »

Scott
Thanks Scott , do u think I should do a Fueling or the moco's oil pump upgrade?

silverone

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 11:10:34 AM »

Scott
Looks like they only offer the shim for 99-06 TC's

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 12:55:10 PM »

Isn't it better to go with gear driven cams? I had a problem with the shoe on mine. Checked it just before leaving for Sturgis.......would have been a problem!!

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 01:10:50 PM »

it probably is better to go with gear driven cams

but.......

the runout has to be near perfect and few cranks are - a crank that will work fine for years with a chain drive will not work at all with gear drive.

so if the crank is not perfect you have to add in the cost of having the crank trued to the cost of the cam plus the gear kit.

and then it IS better - but at what cost

to

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 01:21:59 PM »

Silverone,

I woudlnt worry about the shim, fwiw ( baisley and zippers both make them i am sure someone else does as well), because you have a high flow pump already in the bike.  I would swap out my bearings, consider a good set of lifters, although you may have them if you have the 07 bike in that you would have the 99b lifters which are fine to use.   If you go with the kuryakyn cams you might consider a tapered pushrod so you can eliminate the rubbing at the top of the pushrod tubes.   The builder might also consider going slightly tigher on the turns .. eg  SE recommends 2 1/2 turns or 15 flats but you may want to go 18 flats or 3 turns.   I would consider going to the S&S 58mm throttlebody over the ones available.   not sure what pipes you are going to run, but a good 2 - 1 with falsie or a 2-1-2 like the complete unit from Kury should compliment the build nicely.

who is tuning this for you? and what tuner are they using?

Good luck, 
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 02:26:30 PM »

Looks like they only offer the shim for 99-06 TC's

Part # 626-002, along with part # 626-010........
Scott

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 02:27:46 PM »

The stock oil pump in 2007 was an upgraded higher volume pump, so you don't need to "upgrade" it for street use at all.  However, with 26k miles it would be a very good idea to closely inspect the pump and cam plate for excessive wear and replace them as needed.  The '07 and later cranks are not known for good runout numbers, so the plates and pumps can be worn fairly severely at relatively low miles.  It would be a good idea to actually measure runout while the cam plate is out.

Installing supposed "racing" high volume pumps or jacked up bypass springs is not only not necessary for a street engine, it can be detrimental.  Some of those aftermarket pumps aren't designed to work with the kind of runout commonly seen on late model Twin Cams and can bind and even break.  And forcing a lot of extra oil through the engine can result in a bunch of excess oil collecting in the heads and the sump, leading to carry over and power loss.  The engine was designed to work properly with the stock oiling system.  Unless you plan some serious mods and a future on a racetrack, you don't need to fix what isn't broken.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

silverone

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 02:30:15 PM »

Silverone,

I woudlnt worry about the shim, fwiw ( baisley and zippers both make them i am sure someone else does as well), because you have a high flow pump already in the bike.  I would swap out my bearings, consider a good set of lifters, although you may have them if you have the 07 bike in that you would have the 99b lifters which are fine to use.   If you go with the kuryakyn cams you might consider a tapered pushrod so you can eliminate the rubbing at the top of the pushrod tubes.   The builder might also consider going slightly tigher on the turns .. eg  SE recommends 2 1/2 turns or 15 flats but you may want to go 18 flats or 3 turns.   I would consider going to the S&S 58mm throttlebody over the ones available.   not sure what pipes you are going to run, but a good 2 - 1 with falsie or a 2-1-2 like the complete unit from Kury should compliment the build nicely.

who is tuning this for you? and what tuner are they using?

Good luck, 
thanks for all of the replies, yes they are doing the cam bearings and I read in the Hd form that the stock Harley lifter's are about as good as anything out there but with 26 K it's a good time to change them.  I'm planning on going with the Kury crusher mufflers the dyno numbers are great with that set up.  Could you explain a little more to me about the tapered push rods does screaming eagle make them, or would I have to get aftermarket and why they need to go a little tighter, this is all being done at the dealer were I'm buying the bike their installing these parts as an incentive to get me to buy the bike but I'm paying for the new lifter's just because I want them swapped out.  There also installing a new cam shoe and primarie chain adjuster all at their cost.  The bike comes with a screaming eagle race tuner so I'm going to try to get them to get it close then I will probably have it retuned at a later date. thanks in advance!

silverone

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 02:35:27 PM »

The stock oil pump in 2007 was an upgraded higher volume pump, so you don't need to "upgrade" it for street use at all.  However, with 26k miles it would be a very good idea to closely inspect the pump and cam plate for excessive wear and replace them as needed.  The '07 and later cranks are not known for good runout numbers, so the plates and pumps can be worn fairly severely at relatively low miles.  It would be a good idea to actually measure runout while the cam plate is out.

Installing supposed "racing" high volume pumps or jacked up bypass springs is not only not necessary for a street engine, it can be detrimental.  Some of those aftermarket pumps aren't designed to work with the kind of runout commonly seen on late model Twin Cams and can bind and even break.  And forcing a lot of extra oil through the engine can result in a bunch of excess oil collecting in the heads and the sump, leading to carry over and power loss.  The engine was designed to work properly with the stock oiling system.  Unless you plan some serious mods and a future on a racetrack, you don't need to fix what isn't broken.

Jerry
Jerry thanks for the info since this is being done pre purchase at the dealer I'll see if I can get them to let me see the cam plate so I can check it for excessive wear which should tell me if the crank has a runout problem.  Thanks again

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 02:38:20 PM »

look in the screaming eagle catalog there are 2 different pushrods that are adjustable.   One has a tapered top to it its not as thick all the way around.   This came out a few years ago and would be the ones you want if that is the route you are going from Harley.   Otherwise I would want S&S or Smith Brothers Pushrods.
Because they are tapered they will be less likely to rub at the top of the pushrod tubes.   In the past we have had to Champher the tops to minimize the rubbing.

Also on the 07's remember to have them double check your rockerbox clearances.   In 08 they came out with a new rocker box where this was already done, many of us had noise from the hitting that was going on in there and the dealers had to clearance the rocker boxes by hand not a big deal just a real annoyance.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 02:39:02 PM »

Jerry thanks for the info since this is being done pre purchase at the dealer I'll see if I can get them to let me see the cam plate so I can check it for excessive wear which should tell me if the crank has a runout problem.  Thanks again

If your going that far check both sides of the crank for run out.   

AMP

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 03:26:25 PM »

I assume you are going with the chain drive cams, but you should check the run out on the crank anyway. If you are going to use HD lifters then use the SE version. Stock, everyday lifters....no.

silverone

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 04:11:54 PM »

I assume you are going with the chain drive cams, but you should check the run out on the crank anyway. If you are going to use HD lifters then use the SE version. Stock, everyday lifters....no.
thanks for the reply, is there an acceptable amount for run out of the crank?  And I will check into the screaming eagle lifter's.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.