Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: New SG is very hot  (Read 8644 times)

cyco1450

• Elite CVO Member
  • Cheaper to keep her...
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO RG Black Earth/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO SG - sold
Re: New SG is very hot
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2013, 06:00:08 PM »

S$S headers, Fullsac 2.5's in the stock cans, SERT and cam and she runs nice and cool.
2018 CVO RG Black Earth
2007 CVO Springer Amarillo Gold 1 of 398
2003 100th Ann FLSTCI
2001 CVO Switchblade
1999 Dyna WG Zippers 107
1997 Heritage Springer Ol’ Boy
1997 Fat Boy Street Stalker 1 of 1
1993 Heritage Softail Cow Glide #1109
1990 Fat Boy Grey Ghost 1st year
1977 FLH Restomod
1977 XLCR
1971 FX Night Train!

dirtdobber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2013, 01:48:22 PM »

Did you buy your SESG3 new or used?  I had not heard of the wind deflectors coming standard on any version of the '12 SESG.  :nixweiss:

:devil:

It was new, I waited on them to prep it when it came off the truck. Had 1 mile on it.
The only thing I can think of is it was left off of a RG and when they serviced my SG it was laying with other things and got installed by mistake.
2012 CVO street glide, 2010 Dyna wide glide SS 106

Kilaani

• Scarlett - The Bike On Fire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • CVOH! My Scarlett built 3-13-12, & arrived 6-1-12
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2013, 05:07:07 PM »

Hey, now, it is Judy, and me, and you with the girls' red bikes. My Scarlett is definitely the prettiest bike I have ever seen. I have not had her a year, but totally experienced the leg burn. Ken gives GREAT advice, and you can do as much or as little in your budget. I am finally springing for a change out to the Fullsac, fortunately, I only live a few a few hours away from their shop. My big change comes the 17th/18th. I haven't had too much trouble with the clutch, and haven't gotten the other nifty things Ken keeps thinking up like the fancy horn and the fans, but I did get a C&C seat because I am short and never plan on anything but solo riding. I moved my passenger pegs up and got the long arms that fit around the fairings, liking that so far. I remember holding my right leg out last June and climbing the tank trying to get away from the burning right leg. Feel free to pm anytime! This is my first CVO.
Jill

I bought a new CVO SG today, didn't get a lot of miles on it yet only about 40 miles but man that is one hot bike, my right calf is almost frying. I plan to get thigh heat deflectors probably the Kuryakin ones in smoke, but is there anything that will help with the lower heat area. Worried I am going to fry my legs in the Florida heat.
My first & last CVO, Scarlett, arrived 6-1-12. I always remember my mom while riding.  She had smarts with a spirit of independence & adventure. "You Gotta LIVE!", was her motto; her favorite color red, and she loved BLING.

lauren

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2013, 07:58:09 PM »

I'm grateful for all the advice and suggestions. Took the bike on its first long ride today, about 300 miles. The clutch has eased a lot since I complained about it when the rear brake was fixed so I don't think I need the clutch wizard.

The seat is ok, butt not numb but I need a backrest. So I have to decide on Mustang, Corbin or whoever. I don't want to be any higher than I am  but it has to be soft and have a backrest and not look ugly. I could go solo seat not sure yet.

The heat is a worry, it was only 72 today and my right leg was more than toastie. Going to consider all the suggestions for pipes and cat etc. Lucky I have highway pegs as I did a lot of riding with my right foot up.
Otherwise the bike is great, terrific handling on sweeps and corners, the windshield works good for me and I added the HD windshield bag, can't see the road directly in front of the fender but I guess I'll get used to that and fortunately there are no hills in South Fl.

It's going in for it's 1000 mile service next Saturday even though I'm already a little over 1k. Anything to make sure they check? The dealership gave me that service free so I really want them to spend the time on it, so if anybody can think of stuff to add to the check list I'd be grateful.
2012 FLHX SE3
2012 Heritage Classic

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2013, 08:55:15 PM »

I'm grateful for all the advice and suggestions. Took the bike on its first long ride today, about 300 miles. The clutch has eased a lot since I complained about it when the rear brake was fixed so I don't think I need the clutch wizard.

The seat is ok, butt not numb but I need a backrest. So I have to decide on Mustang, Corbin or whoever. I don't want to be any higher than I am  but it has to be soft and have a backrest and not look ugly. I could go solo seat not sure yet.

The heat is a worry, it was only 72 today and my right leg was more than toastie. Going to consider all the suggestions for pipes and cat etc. Lucky I have highway pegs as I did a lot of riding with my right foot up.
Otherwise the bike is great, terrific handling on sweeps and corners, the windshield works good for me and I added the HD windshield bag, can't see the road directly in front of the fender but I guess I'll get used to that and fortunately there are no hills in South Fl.

It's going in for it's 1000 mile service next Saturday even though I'm already a little over 1k. Anything to make sure they check? The dealership gave me that service free so I really want them to spend the time on it, so if anybody can think of stuff to add to the check list I'd be grateful.

Congratulations Lauren on your sweet ride today!  I agree with the backrest.  :2vrolijk_21:  I purchased the HD Reach seat with the backrest and sent it off to a guy that modified it, covered it in Buffalo hide and leather.  I couldn't be happier with the looks and the comfort.  The more I ride it the more it fits me like a glove.  Yep, you will need to get rid of your "cat" to notice a difference with the heat.  I went with the V&H Powerduals and the 4" Rinehart Slipon's.  I like the look and the sound.  I love my SG as much as your gonna love yours!  Awesome MC.

Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

lauren

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2013, 09:31:52 PM »

nice seat!
2012 FLHX SE3
2012 Heritage Classic

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2013, 09:01:32 AM »

Lauren, one quick and easy fix until you can make any other mods done is to remove the lowers. I know they add a lot to the beauty of the bike but it will take the heat away Immediately. That will give you time to decide on all of the mods everyone is suggesting. CVOgirls suggestions are probably going to be the closest to what you need.

I live up in Ocala and remove my lowers by the end of March now and don't put them back on until "winter" when the temps are cooler. I have had a tune or two and several variations of header people's, mufflers and even fuel tuners. The biggest help for me was to give in and remove the lowers.

Congrats on your new ride and welcome to the best MC forum around!

Rob

Bhd

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2013, 09:40:16 AM »

My girlfriend has an 11 SESG and was having same problem with the clutch and the harley dealer changed the spring in the clutch made a huge difference.

Kilaani

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2013, 05:23:11 PM »

A lot of folks swear by the Mustang seats. I went with C&C. I am short, 5'4" so, I needed a backrest, and believe me,the heat off the right leg had me crawling up the tank in Las Vegas last June anyway. I got the reduced reach and had it moved 2" even further forward so it is perfect for me. A few days ago, I just got the highway long arm and took off my passenger pegs since I am solo only, and they make a great deal of difference with the heat on the right leg for now. In just a little while I am following Ken's suggestion and getting rid of the cat, etc. I can't wait! That will be on April 17-18, and I am sure I will make a full report. Under exhaust I posted about my changes.

Take care, have fun choosing a seat!

[quote author=lauren link=topic=83288.msg1123859#msg1123859 date=1365292689

[/quote]
My first & last CVO, Scarlett, arrived 6-1-12. I always remember my mom while riding.  She had smarts with a spirit of independence & adventure. "You Gotta LIVE!", was her motto; her favorite color red, and she loved BLING.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2013, 10:03:10 PM »

I have all the mods everyone says makes it cooler but none really made a big difference. I have the TTS with Full-Sac inserts, cat free pipe, HD upper heat shields, the Ward Fans, and cermaic innner and outer coated pipe etc. But nothing you do is going to really lower the exhaust temp over a few degrees and that is what we feel.  Read the info on Ward's page, he has really gotten involved in this problem and has some excellent information but no matter what that exhaust is still getting hot. You can add fuel as we all do with the dyno tune but hot air still comes out of those pipes. Rob has the same opinion as me, remove the lowers in March and back on in Nov or so and the added air flow makes it feel better but it is still the same temp when stopped and you rt leg is close to the pipe. Not just our bikes, I road a FJR Yamaha once that was just as bad. I think we all just gradually get used to it and live with it.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2013, 08:26:49 AM »

One thing I didn't consider was that you have speakers in your lowers. Not so easy to give those up!

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2013, 09:23:56 AM »

I would never give up my lowers and the speakers! My bike does not run very hot the way I have it set up... it's quite tolerable even in the summer. In the heat of summer, the main problem is ME, not the engine!

The most important things are getting rid of the cat and opening up the exhaust, getting rid of of the 255 cams, and getting a good TUNE.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Kilaani

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2013, 10:53:45 AM »

+1 :apple: I love my speakers!

I would never give up my lowers and the speakers! My bike does not run very hot the way I have it set up... it's quite tolerable even in the summer. In the heat of summer, the main problem is ME, not the engine!

The most important things are getting rid of the cat and opening up the exhaust, getting rid of of the 255 cams, and getting a good TUNE.

Ken

xsdbs

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Street Glide
    • Vincent's Web Page
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2013, 02:25:11 PM »

One thing I didn't consider was that you have speakers in your lowers. Not so easy to give those up!
I removed the vent doors from my lowers, get more air, keep the speakers...

lauren

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2013, 08:26:05 PM »

I removed the vent doors from my lowers, get more air, keep the speakers...

that's a brilliant idea. Are they easy to remove? I barely need them as I'm in South Florida and there aren't that many cold days.
2012 FLHX SE3
2012 Heritage Classic
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 27 queries.