Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Problems Installing Amp on 2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Read 4189 times)

OldSkull

• 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • OK

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
Re: Problems Installing Amp on 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 06:58:53 AM »

My RCA plug in module was also bad when I first bought the kit. they replaced it no prob, and worked fine. I think it was actually the RCA plug that was short'n.

so you have both speaker leads from both amps to the speakers? or the stock amp output going to the module? or are you using the output from the amp, into the BT module and amp, then to the speakers?
where did you run your power wire from?

Thanks for the post and the pictures.

2013 FLHTCUSE8
"Sookie"
Bassani Slant Slip-ons / V&H True Duels / Super Sucker II, HD Tuner/Dyno, Covington Cycles Chrome Inserts, Mustang Duel Heated Seat, D-Gerbing Heated Gear System / Custom Run/Brake/Turn for Rear Lighting, Progressive Shocks / Chrome Primary Case, Ram Camera Mount/Iron Braid Levers-bag Guard

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 08:48:39 PM »

My RCA plug in module was also bad when I first bought the kit. they replaced it no prob, and worked fine. I think it was actually the RCA plug that was short'n.

so you have both speaker leads from both amps to the speakers? or the stock amp output going to the module? or are you using the output from the amp, into the BT module and amp, then to the speakers?
where did you run your power wire from?

Thanks for the post and the pictures.

The stock speaker wires connect to the hi-lo converter, then the converter connects to each amp via RCA jacks, and then the amps connect directly to the speakers via speaker wire.  Both amps are wired together with a harness that plugs to the power supply.  The power supply connects to both the battery and to the cigarette lighter, providing it with switched power.  I think that pretty much sums up the entire setup.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 10:58:38 PM »

Well, I got the new hi-lo converter box and it turns out that it wasn't that after all.  Mine was also the RCA jack on the end of the wire itself that was shorting.  I can't say that I'm real pleased with that.  The weather is finally making a turn for the good and I didn't want the bike to be down waiting for another amp, so I cut the wire so I could splice another RCA jack to the end from some audio jacks I had laying around.  Let's just say that's no easy task with the size of that small wire in the middle of everything.  I finally got it together and taped it up, but I have no idea if it will hold, since I didn't have any soldering equipment here.  I've been trying to call Biketronics for the past few days, but they aren't sitting around waiting to jump on incoming calls.  In their defense, I don't think they are some huge operation and I assume that their technical guy, Bill, is probably on other calls.  I would like them to know about this.  I figured that no matter what, to fix this was going to require either cutting the wire or replacing it the entire way back to the amp, so I couldn't do any more damage than how it came to me.  I don't know if that amp opens up, since it's securely taped into place and I can't see the back side of it to see if there are any screws to open it up.  In retrospect, if I was thinking straight at the time, I could have hooked up a "Y" connect audio cable to one amp to run both speakers for a temporary fix, and just sent the other back for a replacement.  The end result is that now that both speakers are playing, it sounds pretty awesome.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 08:03:54 PM »

I got in touch with Biketronics today.  I explained what happened and all I really wanted to do was let them know what had happened so that if there was a problem down the road, they would already have a heads up on why I spliced things together.  They wanted to replace things for me anyway, so I don't have to worry about it later.  I really appreciate dealing with a company that wants to do the right thing for their customers, even when I was more than prepared to keep it the way it was.  They're shipping me new amps and the "wings" they mount to, to make the reinstall easy.  They're sending along a return slip so I can ship the others back when I swap things out.  I have to give them an A+ for customer service, even if I have trouble getting them on the phone.  That's partially my fault, since they have voice mail, and I just never leave messages for them, since I wouldn't be able to pick up the return call when I'm at work.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 11:35:03 PM »

I received my new amps and taking it all apart and putting it back together was really a breeze.  Once you've done it one time, and not having to follow directions, I was literally done in about 15 minutes.  That was without putting the fairing back on quite yet.  I decided that since I was going to have the fairing off again anyway, I picked up some Dynamat to line the outer fairing.  That, I turned into a major job.  I ended up cutting a lot of small pieces to do the job, as I quickly found out that I suck at measuring and cutting proper sizes of material to fit the curves in there.  It all worked out well in the end, but it took me hours to do it.  The end result is that the incredible amount of sound is now much more focused back at me, instead of also coming through the walls of the outer fairing.  The base is tighter and the overall clarity at high volumes is even better than it was without the Dynamat.  Don't laugh when you see my "quilted" outer fairing Dynamat liner.  

By the way, this time around, I did a real nice job of tying all of the wires up and getting everything perfectly in place before trying to put the fairing back on.  I was very concerned that with as tight as it was before, trying to get it back together with the Dynamat might just ruin my day.  It turned out that my fairing went right into place and every bolt went in first try with no effort at all.  (Patting myself on the back for that one!)

I do want to commend Biketronics once again not only for the powerful, mind blowing combo, but for their above and beyond service.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 11:40:38 PM by 1abastarsmda »

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 10:04:52 AM »

Here is how I did mine

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 10:06:08 AM »

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 11:43:00 AM »

Mine with the J&M set !
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2013, 11:43:38 AM »

# 2
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2013, 07:35:53 PM »

I put the J&M foam in my last bike and it sure made for a super tight fit.  With the amps mounted to the outside of both speakers, they actually are pushed inward when the outer fairing is put on.  I don't think that would work with these amps.  I felt very luck that this even worked.  Since I had plenty of material with the smallest Dynamat kit I could find, I figured that there was no reason for me to stop at the outer ends of the fairing on each side and continued on to the mid section, as well.  Whether that made any extra impact, who knows?
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 20 queries.