Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Problems Installing Amp on 2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Read 4188 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Problems Installing Amp on 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« on: March 24, 2013, 05:34:01 PM »

I posted some questions before in another thread, but now that the questions are changing with a completely different amp and going in a different direction, I felt a new thread was in order, as trying to follow the old one would be very confusing.

I am trying to install a Biketronics BT480 amp to power only the front speakers on a 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra.

The instructions tell me to connect the stock speaker wires to the included high-level to low-level transformer, then the transformer is connected to the amp via RCA jacks, and the amp direct to the speakers via speaker wire.

Being that the stock front speaker wires are coming from the amp under the tourpak, this doesn’t sound correct to me.  That would mean that I’m going through both amps to get to the speakers.  Am I correct in that assumption…both that this is not correct and that it would be set up to run through both amps?

If I’m correct, I’m not sure what the right way to do it would be.

I’m guessing that I could use the open rear speaker outs on the 35 pin connector and run speaker wires from there to the transformer, and just leave the stock speaker wires not connected to anything.  If I do that, do I really need a transformer in between, and if not, will that cause a problem?  Also, if the amp controls the fade control, I would lose that function.  Plus, even though I see there are 4 open pins on the 35 wire connector, I don’t have a clue which is which.

I could also splice into the wires coming off the 35 wire connector and take them straight to the transformer, but first, I don’t know which wires to splice into, and I’m totally lost as far as what effect that would have on the total system.

I think I’m at a complete dead end without knowing what each pin connects to on the 35 wire connector.  I could really use the diagram that tells me slot by slot, what each connects to.

Wow, this is really getting mind boggling, and I’m starting to wonder if I should just throw in the towel.  It sounds like I need to talk to TIF2 or Harleypingman to straighten out my thinking on this project, but if anyone out there has some input for me, I’m ready to listen.

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
Re: Problems Installing Amp on 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 06:54:26 PM »

Try calling Biketronics.  I heard they will walk you through the entire set up.  Sorry I can't be more help.

I'm curious to hear what you think of the BT480.

Dan

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 11:00:58 PM »

I'm not sure if they know the CVO as well as we might like. I'll call them tomorrow and see what they have to say.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 02:45:25 PM »

I called Biketronics today and was told that it's okay to run it through both amps since the Harley amp isn't very high powered and that the difference was so minimal, that they decided it wasn't worth having people go through the hassle of running connectors direct from the head unit, and having the radio flashed to get fader controls.

I can't say that I'm exactly pleased with that reasoning.  So you spend a bunch of money to upgrade your stereo system to make it sound better, and then have the installation procedure give you a built in addition to distortion levels.  Maybe it's just me, but I can't say that I won't be putting this in without some level of skepticism.  I assume my ears are too old to actually hear a difference, but it just doesn't seem like the right way of doing things.  I'll report back, hopefully by next week, on how the install turned out.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 02:50:19 PM »

sounds like a load of BS to me.... maybe you should PM Tif2 or one of the other guys that are good with audio
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 02:50:24 PM »

I'm not sure if they know the CVO as well as we might like. I'll call them tomorrow and see what they have to say.

I called Biketronics today and was told that it's okay to run it through both amps since the Harley amp isn't very high powered and that the difference was so minimal, that they decided it wasn't worth having people go through the hassle of running connectors direct from the head unit, and having the radio flashed to get fader controls.

I can't say that I'm exactly pleased with that reasoning.  So you spend a bunch of money to upgrade your stereo system to make it sound better, and then have the installation procedure give you a built in addition to distortion levels.  Maybe it's just me, but I can't say that I won't be putting this in without some level of skepticism...

How did you happen to go with BT? :confused5:

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 02:54:22 PM »

How did you happen to go with BT? :confused5:

It was the only amp that seemed like it would fit without relocating the 3 modules on top of the head unit.  Also, I've seen nothing but good things written about them.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 03:46:19 PM »

Call Tony at Iron Cross Audio--he can answer your questions.

Carl

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 04:22:03 PM »

Call Tony at Iron Cross Audio--he can answer your questions.

Carl

Thanks Carl.  I just got done sending a PM to TIF2.  After I hear back from him, I'll take what I learn there and if I have unanswered questions, I'll have a little more knowledge and then call Tony.  If I end up needing to run things from the rear speaker outs on Harman Kardon, I found a post of yours with part numbers for the terminal sockets, a link to working with the 35 wire connector, and links for proper crimping procedures, etc.  That was one information packed post.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 02:06:49 PM »

Glad to help. And Rich is a great guy.

Suggestion:  Ask Rich about the Ezzell bracket. He and I helped Scott in it's development. And we both use it

It would seem to relieve issues about wiring, fader control, and amp selection.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 09:25:15 PM »

Well, my Biketronics amp (BT480) and Titan II speakers (made by Hybrid Audio Technology) arrived last night and I just got finished with the install.  The amp actually consists of 2 small amps that mount to unused space in the fairing to the outside of each front speaker.  They give you 2 "wings" that mount to the speaker bolts, giving you a flat surface to tape the amps to.  There is very little space there and they just barely fit.  Actually, it's a real mental exercise trying to figure out just how to mount them in there so that you will still be able to get the fairing to close up again.

There is also a power supply and a high to low level converter, which I mounted on top of the head unit.  With the CVO Ultra having 3 modules already on top of the head unit, the power supply just will not fit there.  It will fit, but you'll never get your fairing back on.  I removed the XM module and then mounted the power supply and converter with only the two modules, and then it will fit.  It wasn't quite that easy though.  I had the fairing on and off  a minimum of 20 times trying to move the power supply and wires around until I was finally able to get it to all close up.  It is a much tighter fit than I would like.

I did have one product problem.  The high low converter seems to have one bad RCA jack, which translates to I had to play with the plug (wiggling it and twisting it) to get a connection to one of the speakers.  I have already called Biketronics and they are shipping me a new one right away.  It just kind of sucked that the first time I actually got everything to close up and I thought I was done, one of the speakers stopped working again and I had to take it all apart again.  Biketronics did tell me that they haven't seen a problem with one of these for at least a few years, since they are being made different than the older ones they used.  Lucky me to have the one with a problem.

So, now I have an XM module to either sell or maybe I'll venture into velcroing it to the bottom of the head unit when I take it all apart next week to swap out the part.

On to the end result...the sound.  Holy crap!  I can't believe I was thinking about putting another set of these speakers in my lowers.  I'm one that can usually crank any stereo up to full volume and still want more.  I think I'll be listening to this one at around half volume.  Admittedly, I was in my garage, but it is insanely loud.  I had to put my ears right up to the rear speakers to make sure they were actually playing.  It sounds very good and those little amps put out an amazing amount of power.  Getting around that last 3 to 4 bars before max volume, I start to hear distortion sitting on the bike.  If I walk 10 or 15 feet behind the bike, even at max volume, the distortion seems to disappear.  I'm glad I decided to start with just the fairing speakers, since going beyond that would be pure overkill for me.  I think I'm going to enjoy this alot.

As far as previous discussion on running the front speakers through both amps with the converter in between, I went that route for ease of installation, and it seems to work fine that way.  I have a feeling that soldering some new speaker wires for the front, instead of going through both amps could eliminate some of the higher volume distortion, but I may never know since I think I'm going to be happy with it the way it is.

I took pics while the XM module was still mounted, and forgot to take any after I removed it.  I'll try to remember to take a photo with the final mounting position next week.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 09:32:21 PM by 1abastarsmda »

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 09:25:59 PM »

Here's a few pics showing the amps mounted.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 09:27:21 PM »

and the other side

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 03:56:20 AM »

Good write-up and thanks for posting the pics.
Glad the install went well overall   :)

The ground point we discussed worked out or did you use a different location?
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 09:35:45 AM »

Good write-up and thanks for posting the pics.
Glad the install went well overall   :)

The ground point we discussed worked out or did you use a different location?

The speaker brackets won't work as a ground.  Once I had everything together, I turned on the stereo and I was very disappointed when I had no sound at all from the front.  Then I realized that it had to be a bad ground.  I moved the ground wire to the left side screw that holds my chrome wind deflector to the back side of the triple tree.  That's a very easily accessible spot to get to.  The wire was already running on the left side, so it gets in the way of nothing and you don't even notice it there.  I can't believe I looked all over and never noticed that spot before.

I took the bike for a little ride yesterday and it really sounds fantastic...at least until the right speaker stopped playing.  The right speaker will randonly stop and then start playing again.  I should have the new high to low level converter in a few days to take care of that problem.  Even with only one front speaker playing, it still sounded good and I still had to put my head right between the rear speakers to verify that they are even playing.

Again, thanks for the help Rich.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 20 queries.