Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Open Primary?  (Read 4826 times)

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
Open Primary?
« on: March 26, 2013, 12:47:30 PM »

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of making lots of mods to my 2012 CVO Convertible and am now considering the new Performance Machine Open Primary!
What do you Guys think?
What are the pluses and minuses?
I know its an expensive mod but cant help but think how amazing it looks and dont mind spending the $! (the new 2013 Chrome version)

Thanks,
Charlie
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:14:32 PM by Charlie »
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
Re: Open Primary?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 12:54:09 PM »

A shot of the Open Primary!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 04:47:32 PM »

If you like the look, go for it. Lots of +'s. Quieter, no fluid, no tensioners. Haven't heard of any -'s, except looks  :nervous:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 05:24:11 PM »

The only downside is the noise from the clutch.

I love the look, smooth shifting, and no fluids.

WVHoop

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012FLHXSE3

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus Antique Gunstock, Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner,V&H True Duals, Turn Down Slip Ons, Windsplitter Windscreen, Mustang Solo Seat, AK-20's, Penske Shocks, WO 575's
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 08:50:57 PM »

Shouldn't the crank be welded before running one of these things? I don't know, I'm just asking. I definitely like it.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 09:08:08 PM »

Shouldn't the crank be welded before running one of these things? I don't know, I'm just asking. I definitely like it.
I did check that and they said no! its a direct bolt on application,

WVHoop

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012FLHXSE3

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus Antique Gunstock, Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner,V&H True Duals, Turn Down Slip Ons, Windsplitter Windscreen, Mustang Solo Seat, AK-20's, Penske Shocks, WO 575's
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 09:16:35 PM »

Sounds good Charlie........Good Luck :2vrolijk_21:

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 08:04:16 AM »

I like the open primary idea.  Cooler, no fluid, no tensioner, MUCH smoother operation.  Had a chance to ride a bike with the belt style primary and it really made a big difference mainly in the smoothness of operation as I could tell.  My deal is looking out for things that could get into/under the belt or clutch springs as your ride.  I could see getting a rock or something in that and it being a disaster.  You would really have to watch where your rode (no gravel roads I would think.... :nixweiss: ). That would be the only negative I could think of.

Charlie, I would ask the manufacturer about your being in a desert/sandy area of the world and what, if any, issues with dirt/grit/sand in their open primary system and see what they say.  Might be something to consider.... :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 08:31:13 AM by Haird »

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 08:24:49 AM »

You may also want to look at Karata and BDL (Belt Drives Limited).  They both make quality products.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 08:26:16 AM »

I like the open primary idea.  Cooler, no fluid, no tensioner, MUCH smoother operation.  Had a chance to ride a bike with the belt style primary and it really made a bid difference mainly in the smoothness of operation as I could tell.  My deal is looking out for things that could get into/under the belt or clutch springs as your ride.  I could see getting a rock or something in that and it being a disaster.  You would really have to watch where your rode (no gravel roads I would think.... :nixweiss: ). That would be the only negative I could think of.

Charlie, I would ask the manufacturer about your being in a desert/sandy area of the world and what, if any, issues with dirt/grit/sand in their open primary system and see what they say.  Might be something to consider.... :2vrolijk_21:
Hi Haird,
Thats a very good point about the sand! its not a problem on Gravel etc, but sand!! we have a lot! could certainly be a problem with wear!
Ill mail Performance Machine and see what they reckon,
Cheers,
Charlie

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 08:33:46 AM »

You may also want to look at Karata and BDL (Belt Drives Limited).  They both make quality products.
Have been looking at BDL,s but for now I'm stuck on the Performance Machine! always been happy with the Quality of Performance Machine in the past and that open primary sure is sweet!

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 09:03:21 AM »

The only downside is the noise from the clutch.

I love the look, smooth shifting, and no fluids.
I also love the look, smooth shifting and no fluids, i also kind a like the noise! adds a bit of character! and to be honest i like to be a bit different, haven't seen many on CVOs

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 09:34:12 AM »

I also love the look, smooth shifting and no fluids, i also kind a like the noise! adds a bit of character! and to be honest i like to be a bit different, haven't seen many on CVOs
I caught alot of grief for putting a 21" spoke on the front of mine......bottom line you need to do what looks good to you.
BTW, BDL makes a 1 1/2" that will fit behind your stock covers. I had one on a 2k Softail and had lines milled through the inspection & derby for cooling. Good luck with your decision.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:15:31 AM by 2ksoftail »
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 09:39:45 AM »

I caught alot of grief for putting a 21" spoke on the front of mine......bottom line you need to do what looks good to you.
BTW, BDL makes a 11/2" that will fit behind your stock covers. I had one on a 2k Softail and had lines milled through the inspection & derby for cooling. Good luck with your decision.
Hi 2K,
Do you have any photos of the one you did?
Thanks,
Charlie

• 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 09:44:10 AM »

The 2000 or the 21" front? Figure you mean the 2000 belt drive. Sold it last year, have plenty of pics will try and find a close up  :nixweiss:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.