Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Breakout and ABS  (Read 3975 times)

CVOBreak

• Full CVO Member
Breakout and ABS
« on: April 05, 2013, 01:20:50 PM »

Just got a call from the dealer. apparently the routing of the ABS wires to the front brake are located in such a way that the left steering stop cuts through the wires. Mine were cut and shorting out. Now I'm waiting a week for the part just when the weather was improving enough to ride. the other issues with intermittent power loss is still being investigated, As usual after the 5 minute ride the Harley tech didn't experience the symptom. then they declared nothing was wrong. I told them it never happens until about 15 minutes of riding time. they the blamed the race tuner, pipes, well, you know the rest.

they did agree to take a 30 mile ride so we will see. that is happening now so no new update yet. Maybe it was the ABS wire shorting out and messing with the ECM or O2 sensor.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Breakout and ABS
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 03:44:29 PM »

If the ABS wire is the black one that runs with the front brake line is the one I just looked at.  Mine doesn't bind or get tight at all.  It comes out from under the tank with a little bit of slack. 

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 05:42:20 PM »

I hate to say it but if there is any way possible to repair it yourself, I'd do it before letting some H-D service moron touch it. I've yet to have a decent experience going to the H-D service department at three different dealers.  I'll say one thing for them. They do their part in hiring the handicapped.  Mentally handicapped!  :soapbox:
Jesus is Lord

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 05:43:24 PM »

If the ABS wire is the black one that runs with the front brake line is the one I just looked at.  Mine doesn't bind or get tight at all.  It comes out from under the tank with a little bit of slack. 

Yep, that's the cable that connects to the speed sensor on the front wheel.  

mine is routed ok as well....no where near pinching or hanging anywhere when turning full lock.
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 05:47:29 PM »

I hate to say it but if there is any way possible to repair it yourself, I'd do it before letting some H-D service moron touch it. I've yet to have a decent experience going to the H-D service department at three different dealers.  I'll say one thing for them. They do their part in hiring the handicapped.  Mentally handicapped!  :soapbox:

I am extremely lucky that I have a master tech with 11 years of HD experience at my dealership.  He is meticulous, dedicated, and very finicky about how my bike is cared for when having service done.  Whenever I have an intermittent problem he will stay after it until he can reproduce it and fix it.
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 05:52:42 PM »

I am extremely lucky that I have a master tech with 11 years of HD experience at my dealership.  He is meticulous, dedicated, and very finicky about how my bike is cared for when having service done.  Whenever I have an intermittent problem he will stay after it until he can reproduce it and fix it.

That must be great. I wish I could find one around here.  I know they're out there but just not any in my area.  Count your blessings and yourself fortunate.   :2vrolijk_21:
Jesus is Lord

cvo1717

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2013 CVO BREAKOUT BLACK SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 CVO FATBOB BLACK DENIM HELLFIRE FLAMES TRADED IN
    • CVO3: 2020 CVO street glide
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 07:23:30 PM »

I just checked my wire and its also getting pinched.I re routed it and used speed locks to tie it up and away.So much for paying for prep from dealer
Mike
2013 CVO BREAKOUT 117 KIT
ROSAS HEADS WOODS TW 8-6 CAM
RB RACING 2 INTO 1 PROSTOCK CHALLENGE PIPE
130 HP  134 TQ STD
126 hp   131 TQ SAE

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 08:49:46 PM »

I just checked my wire and its also getting pinched.I re routed it and used speed locks to tie it up and away.So much for paying for prep from dealer

:2vrolijk_21:  Or having them scratch your paint and say that you must have done it.
Jesus is Lord

CVOBreak

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 08:58:11 PM »

here is what I know so far. apparently the intermittent poor performance disappeared after the shorting wires were removed. the dealer did the prep so it is kind of their fault. they didn't know if the ABS ran through the ECU data bus, I suspect it must have if eliminating the short also eliminated the performance issues. I'll know more once they replace the ABS sensor and I actually ride it myself. I did get a few data errors when trying to flash the ECU while the ABS was shorting out.

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 11:43:39 PM »

my stealer told me to stay off the forums, they don't know sh*t, :orange:

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 08:49:37 AM »

That must be great. I wish I could find one around here.  I know they're out there but just not any in my area.  Count your blessings and yourself fortunate.   :2vrolijk_21:

yessir, I think this is the exception.  won't hijack this thread since it's not about this, but I had horror stories with other dealer's service until I hooked up with these folks, including setting my rear fender on fire once....deplorable....

Big-Aye

• -Verae Navis Vacillant-

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE CVO Breakout-Hard Candy Gold/Liquid Sun
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 05:21:40 AM »

the dealer did the prep so it is kind of their fault. they didn't know if the ABS ran through the ECU data bus

The ECU receives Wheel Speed Sensor (WSS) and ABS Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) inputs from both wheels. They can look at Fig A-8 Main Wiring Harness in the 2013 FXSBSE Maintenance Manual Supplement.

Seems like something they SHOULD have known though.

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 07:31:52 AM »

[/quote]
My ABS wire was pinched, thus the error code.  Dealer replaced and it was all okay.  I also received a new BCM download for 2013 softails for my stage 1 tune . . . but it also seemed to help the power loss issue with 40 miles remaining.  Haven't had a problem since.  Coincidence?
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

CVOBreak

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 10:29:12 PM »

My ABS wire was pinched, thus the error code.  Dealer replaced and it was all okay.  I also received a new BCM download for 2013 softails for my stage 1 tune . . . but it also seemed to help the power loss issue with 40 miles remaining.  Haven't had a problem since.  Coincidence?

I'm sure when I ask my dealer about the 2013 softail download they will be clueless. Mine is getting the 1K mile service tomorrow. is it a Harley service bulletin?

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 05:25:37 AM »

I'm sure when I ask my dealer about the 2013 softail download they will be clueless. Mine is getting the 1K mile service tomorrow. is it a Harley service bulletin?

Not sure if its a service bulletin . . . but he noted that the stock module was not appropriate for the SE tuner I had ordered.
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.