Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 'Dead spot' in ETC ,2012 FLTRSE 110  (Read 1467 times)

flroadglidese

'Dead spot' in ETC ,2012 FLTRSE 110
« on: April 09, 2013, 09:48:04 PM »

Since I purchased my 'skunk', I've had a constant problem with stalling and a 'dead spot' when reving the engine, for example; when downshifting.... I've been told by the Service Dept that it's operator error??? I was advised to 'roll' into the throttle. I had an 2007 FLTR with a stage three kit and never experienced this problem.....any suggestions?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 'Dead spot' in ETC ,2012 FLTRSE 110
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 09:58:06 PM »

Since I purchased my 'skunk', I've had a constant problem with stalling and a 'dead spot' when reving the engine, for example; when downshifting.... I've been told by the Service Dept that it's operator error??? I was advised to 'roll' into the throttle. I had an 2007 FLTR with a stage three kit and never experienced this problem.....any suggestions?

Is the bike stock or has it been tuned?  If it hasn't been properly tuned you may want to consult a qualified professional tuner (obviously not the moron from the dealership who fed you that BS).  The bike shouldn't stall, but the flat spot in the response to the throttle is something Harley built in to the electronic throttle control system.  A good tuner can fix both issues for you.  While you shouldn't have to accept such crap from Harley, and stalling is definitely a safety defect, no one I know of has had any luck trying to force Harley to fix it under warranty.  Feel free to contact H-D and raise hell, but be prepared to wind up fixing it yourself at your expense. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 09:17:36 AM »

Like grc said, "is it stock?"

I have seen more than one person put on some mods and not tune the bike.

dmattlin

• 2013 FLHRXSE2
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 09:21:52 AM »

in December I purchased a 2013 CVO RG. I am experiencing the same thing. It is very annoying!! A few weeks ago as I was riding getting miles built up (currently I have under 500 miles on the bike) I also noticed the bike bike backfired a few times (sounded like a carburetor backfire.. weird). I was close to my HD dealer so I stopped in and had a tech take it for a test ride, the Tech noticed the "lag in throttle response, it is did back fire for him and he actually killed it pulling out of the parking lot. The service writer sent a report to HD. I received a call yesterday from my dealer ship letting me know HD got back to them on this issue and stated that they have several reports of the same issue, so when my bike is in the shop for the 1,000 mile oil change and check up to test ride it and run diagnostics and send a report to HD. SO... HD recognizes this problem but has no fix for it!! :confused5:
This is very disappointing. I purchased a 35k bike and now have to spend about $1,500 on aftermarket pipes, tuner, throttle pak and dyno tune to make it run correctly...  Maybe HD will at least split the cost with me to make it run correctly. WISHFUL THINKING!!

Bottom line is that this problem does exist. Harley recognizes the issue and has no fix for it..

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 09:40:27 AM »

in December I purchased a 2013 CVO RG. I am experiencing the same thing. It is very annoying!! A few weeks ago as I was riding getting miles built up (currently I have under 500 miles on the bike) I also noticed the bike bike backfired a few times (sounded like a carburetor backfire.. weird). I was close to my HD dealer so I stopped in and had a tech take it for a test ride, the Tech noticed the "lag in throttle response, it is did back fire for him and he actually killed it pulling out of the parking lot. The service writer sent a report to HD. I received a call yesterday from my dealer ship letting me know HD got back to them on this issue and stated that they have several reports of the same issue, so when my bike is in the shop for the 1,000 mile oil change and check up to test ride it and run diagnostics and send a report to HD. SO... HD recognizes this problem but has no fix for it!! :confused5:
This is very disappointing. I purchased a 35k bike and now have to spend about $1,500 on aftermarket pipes, tuner, throttle pak and dyno tune to make it run correctly...  Maybe HD will at least split the cost with me to make it run correctly. WISHFUL THINKING!!

Bottom line is that this problem does exist. Harley recognizes the issue and has no fix for it..

Since this is a bit of a safety issue, why don't you insist your dealership deal with the problem now, versus waiting the 1000 mile service...  I wouldn't want to be you pulling into traffic and having the motor die, as it did for the tech who test rode your bike.

There's no reason for this issue to cost you a cent...  It's an obvious defect, already experienced by your tech and confirmed by the MOCO.  That's what your warranty is for....  Whether you add pipes, tuner, ect. after the problem is solved is a different mater.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 11:57:46 AM »

Since this is a bit of a safety issue, why don't you insist your dealership deal with the problem now, versus waiting the 1000 mile service...  I wouldn't want to be you pulling into traffic and having the motor die, as it did for the tech who test rode your bike.

There's no reason for this issue to cost you a cent...  It's an obvious defect, already experienced by your tech and confirmed by the MOCO.  That's what your warranty is for....  Whether you add pipes, tuner, ect. after the problem is solved is a different mater.

Yup, what he said.

Once again I'll remind folks that stalling is a definite safety related defect, and in the automotive industry it has resulted in many official safety recalls over the years.  If you are the type who is willing to fight, by all means contact H-D corporate and file an official complaint, and also file a complaint with the NHTSA.  And this stuff has been going on for a lot of years, so don't fall for the BS from Harley that they've had a few complaints recently but don't know what the root cause is.  If they don't know what the cause is by now, they are all incompetent fools that definitely don't deserve your business.

My previous advice about fixing it yourself is for those who don't want to fight for what's right and don't mind paying the "Harley tax" to make the bike run right.  Harley and it's dealers have been collecting that "tax" for decades, making customers buy parts and tuners to "fix" the problem Harley created. 

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 20 queries.