Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Doing engine work- New HD lifters?  (Read 9545 times)

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
Doing engine work- New HD lifters?
« on: April 17, 2013, 01:54:04 PM »

Taking the bike into a local guy who specializes in doing a package on the 110's- I've mentioned him before, but he's done about 24 110" bikes, and has great results.

I told him I want to replace the lifters regardless of if mine look good or not- he is telling me to stick with the HD lifters as he personally hasn't seen any issues with them. I told him that I've heard of many people complaining of failures. He gave me the spiel about reading too much on the forums give the impression they are problematic, when in fact their are thousands of people that have no issues with them.

He said some of the aftermarket lifters "are gimmicky", and since he is old school, he wants to stick with HD. Without getting into a whole debate about whether he is right or wrong, I want to know if anyone has any insight into the new SE lifters? (part number 18572-13).

If not, I will likely just show up with a set of Gaterman lifters, since it seems that those are similar to the OEM lifters, but have more oiling holes, and are of better quality and tolerance.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Doing engine work- New HD lifters?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 02:23:00 PM »

Taking the bike into a local guy who specializes in doing a package on the 110's- I've mentioned him before, but he's done about 24 110" bikes, and has great results.

I told him I want to replace the lifters regardless of if mine look good or not- he is telling me to stick with the HD lifters as he personally hasn't seen any issues with them. I told him that I've heard of many people complaining of failures. He gave me the spiel about reading too much on the forums give the impression they are problematic, when in fact their are thousands of people that have no issues with them.

He said some of the aftermarket lifters "are gimmicky", and since he is old school, he wants to stick with HD. Without getting into a whole debate about whether he is right or wrong, I want to know if anyone has any insight into the new SE lifters? (part number 18572-13).

If not, I will likely just show up with a set of Gaterman lifters, since it seems that those are similar to the OEM lifters, but have more oiling holes, and are of better quality and tolerance.

I'm curious about this as well.  I've not read or heard of failures with this latest "larger diameter needle bearing" SE lifter.   Who's running them and what's your experience?   :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 02:29:06 PM »

I'll also add that according to him, most of the failures in the 110 are due to excessive heat as a result of poor design, fit, and the catalyst.

His package consists of re-flowed heads on his flow bench, intake porting, re-degree of the stock 255 cam, and cometic .030 gasket, cylinder honing and re-ringing of pistons. Crank run out and a full inspection is also done. I already have the Fullsac B x pipe and Rinehart 4" cans, so no exhaust work needs to be done.

The idea is to get a 80%/20% intake/exhaust flow established (or vice versa?). Heat will be decreased by 20%.

I've seen his results and heard from the happy customers. End result will be around 108/128, with over 100 tq at 2500 rpms up until over 4000.
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 02:32:29 PM »

Btw, I'd love to hear from Doc on this. I'd like to mention I appreciate all the communications I had with him about doing a build....I was willing to do the 1200 mile ride down to Florida to have him work his magic, but in the end, I decided it would be best to stay local just in case I ever have any issues down the road.
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

HDGearHead

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • CVO2: 2007 FLSTN
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 07:09:28 PM »

After just having to do a complete rebuild of my 2010 110 motor with 12K miles because of a failed HD lifter, I say to replace them with S&S lifters w/limiters or Fueling Lifters.

I don't trust the new HD SE lifters.

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 07:22:46 PM »

Around here everyone is using Chevy lifters from Comp Cams.  Something like $75 a set. 

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 07:27:57 PM »

The lifters in the 110 are different from the 103'' Mexican lifters.....there is nothing wrong with these lifters and S&S with limiters are not any better. No mater what lifter you have there are failures but all and all the stock 110 lifter has proven to me they are good to go. The SElifters are REALLY bad for performance....they bleed off too easily and drop power.
Doc
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

North Star

• 1K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 07:47:47 PM »

Thanks Doc. So since the builder is telling me just to order stock HD lifters, which ones/part numbers should I get?

I'm still thinking just to get a set of Gaterman's anyhow- I don't know much about lifters, but I get the impression they are similar in design to the OEM's, and aren't "gimmicky", so he should approve (said something about wanting the pushrod lining up in the center or something). Would you recommend the 1023 or the 1021's, which I hear are similar to the old HD B lifters?

Also, I can't seem to find anyone who sells the Gaterman's- any ideas where to purchase or do you have any to sell?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 07:49:24 PM by North Star »
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
HD Daymaker headlights

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 07:52:03 PM »

According to the parts listings I've seen Doc the lifters in the CVO110 are the same as the ones in the TC96 and TC103's through 2011 (18538-99B), then the 110 shows the 18538-99C version for 2012.  The 110 for 2013 now has the new SE lifter with the larger needle bearings.  

Jerry

Btw, if there wasn't a real problem with the earlier lifters in the CVO110's, how do you explain the fact that Harley went to the expense for 2013 to use a new more expensive design in production?  There have been way too many reports of premature lifter roller failures on 110's over the past few years for me to believe the stock lifters are all that great. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 07:55:01 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 08:29:57 PM »

The lifters in the 110 are different from the 103'' Mexican lifters.....there is nothing wrong with these lifters and S&S with limiters are not any better. No mater what lifter you have there are failures but all and all the stock 110 lifter has proven to me they are good to go. The SElifters are REALLY bad for performance....they bleed off too easily and drop power.
Doc

I agree with this statement as it applies to the previous SE lifter 18572-07. 

Not so much as it applies to the current SE lifter 18572-13 that now comes stock in the 2013 110 and 120 motors.

In fact, my understanding is the premature failures of the stock 18538-99C lifters (in 110 motors) and rapid bleed rate of the SE 18572-07 lifters is the reason the MOCO redesigned the SE lifter to include the higher load capacity larger diameter needles in the current SE 18572-13 lifter. 

I've not heard of issues with the current SE 18572-13 lifter - yet...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 08:47:12 PM »

One thing that has always got to me is that these are a copy of a GM lifter. So why not look at GM specifications to see if we can figure it out. GM limits low oil pressure as anything under 16 psi at normal temp and idle speed. Now stick them in a HD at 0 - 5 psi and wonder why they fail. Every bike I've ever done I raise the oil pressure at normal idle to above 15 psi and have never had a lifter failure so while it may not be the total answer it sure seems to work for me.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 09:31:55 PM »

One thing that has always got to me is that these are a copy of a GM lifter. So why not look at GM specifications to see if we can figure it out. GM limits low oil pressure as anything under 16 psi at normal temp and idle speed. Now stick them in a HD at 0 - 5 psi and wonder why they fail. Every bike I've ever done I raise the oil pressure at normal idle to above 15 psi and have never had a lifter failure so while it may not be the total answer it sure seems to work for me.

They are a GM (Delphi these days) lifter, as opposed to something specifically designed for the unique operating conditions found in a big air cooled V-twin.  I have to assume Harley changed to the Delphi parts from the original Johnson parts that were stock in the early Twin Cams because they could get a better price.  We all know by now that price trumps quality in the world of Harley.

Btw, if you spend any time on the big block forums you will find a lot of reports of early roller failures on heavily modified big block Chevy engines with lifters from Delphi or Crane or whoever.  I'm personally not convinced that roller lifters are a good idea in engines with fast ramps and high lifts.  Roller bearings don't tolerate being pounded.  It's the same thing that leads to all those warnings to Harley riders about not lugging their roller bearing engines; roller and ball bearings with flat spots don't roll very well, and they don't last very long when they slide rather than roll.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 09:50:35 PM »

I may jinx myself but I have to agree with you. I always run a fueling pump and fueling lifters and I have had nothing but good luck!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:20:59 AM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 07:57:04 AM »

we pretty much stick with the S&S lifters here,HD changes them so often,i afriad to use them,never had probs with S&S units

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 09:32:55 AM »

we pretty much stick with the S&S lifters here,HD changes them so often,i afriad to use them,never had probs with S&S units

Don't know if it is the lifter or the cam. But, I took out SE lifters with a little over 20K on them and put in S&S's, same cams. After several thousand miles there is a score on one lifter that doesn't match up to the cam lobe
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 20 queries.