Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXR3 before saddlebags and after  (Read 4780 times)

Deerhead

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI
FXR3 before saddlebags and after
« on: September 27, 2006, 11:25:43 AM »

Hi all
This is my FXR3 before and after the saddlebag and GPS mounting. It is now set up for traveling. These are the original FXR saddlebags and I have the knowledge and mistakes of what to do and what not to do. These bags are set up with the screw wellnuts but if you were familiar with the FXD Conv saddlebags you really don't need the wellnuts. Also Harley's clip bracket is a piece of S*it and you must use a locking nut to keep the attaching screw in place and not the stupid clip. Also bought the new Harley switch handlebar housing and have the GPS set up to run of the battery through the on/off rocket switch. Also have the highway lights in the housing but they only come on when the ignition is on. Also, turn signal relocated does not leave but 1/4 inch clearance if you use the wellnut modification.
Next week, I have bought some 2inch wide SOLAS reflective material and will have it sowed onto the rear of the saddlebags for added safety and visibility. Pics of that to come.
Any questions if I can answer I will.
Thanks
Robert
IBA Member #11042
1999 FXR3 Green
2000 FLTRSEI Triple Red (Gone but not forgotten)
2018 BMW R1200RT

RedFXR2

Re: FXR3 before saddlebags and after
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 12:29:01 PM »

An FXR3 near-bagger!  Tell me about that small bag on the back of your sissy bar.  It looks like it sleeves over the top of the bar as an attachment point.  HD thing or aftermarket (the bag)?

Deerhead

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 03:20:01 PM »

Red
Round T-bag mounted to OEM Sissy bar/backrest. I have 3 sissy bars. Tall, medium and OEM. This T-Bag mounts perfectly with the OEM mount, with the excess tucked inside. It is the normal mount I use for around town, etc. large enough for frogg togg rain gear, first gear rain cover for gloves, 1/2 liter MSR gas bottle, first aide stuff, extra gloves, jacket liner, windbreaker jacket, lock, spare key, streamlight scorpion flashlight, leatherman, tire kit, and other stuff.
On my CVO Rally trip the OEM sissy bar/backrest will be replaced with the tall one and I have the older style touring T-Bag that mounts over it. Actually quite stable kinda made for each other. I normally reverse mount the T-Bag so it rests on the seat and I have a back rest and that then allows the touring T-Bag 1 cuft round bag (not the one in the pic) to rest on my luggage rack.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 03:35:25 PM by Deerhead »
Thanks
Robert
IBA Member #11042
1999 FXR3 Green
2018 BMW R1200RT

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 08:14:59 AM »

Deerhead,

You told us a lot of what you use the bag for, but not much about the bag. Is it a H-D product or aftermarket? What is it called? Where'd you find it? etc. Think like, "if I were interested in something like that for my bike, how would I set out to find one". Thanks...
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 09:12:51 AM »

Deerhead,

You told us a lot of what you use the bag for, but not much about the bag. Is it a H-D product or aftermarket? What is it called? Where'd you find it? etc. Think like, "if I were interested in something like that for my bike, how would I set out to find one". Thanks...

Red
[highlight]Round T-bag mounted to OEM Sissy bar/backrest. I have 3 sissy bars. Tall, medium and OEM. This T-Bag mounts perfectly with the OEM mount, with the excess tucked inside[/highlight].....

T-Bags can be purchased at many dealers, J-P Cycles, or you can get them direct from T-Bags.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

elvislee

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 07:24:53 PM »

Hey Deerhead...Ya got a fine ride there! I saw a green FXR3 on e-bay I think about a month ago with the highway bars mounted and man the 3's look good with the bar; hell, they look good without!. Can ya give me some info on your bar and where ya got it?...Thanks and Stay Cool!

Deerhead

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 08:51:20 PM »

Hi
Regular Harley crash bars, don't have the part number.
Thanks
Robert
IBA Member #11042
1999 FXR3 Green
2018 BMW R1200RT

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 09:32:43 PM »

Hi,
 I am getting my FXR4 ready to drive to Sturgis 2009. I have HD quick release windshield and Easy Brackets on my Viking bags that match the Nustang flip seat. There are numerous changs not listed, Just ordered a T-Bag Universal bag. Will upgrade front fork spings and damper and get a set Of B&T Smooth ride shocks soon. Guess I di have a FXR Dresser now. It is not the fastest bike around but I can still get a speeding ticket!!
Ltank

Bullwinkle

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 04:39:32 PM »

Very nice scoot, congratulations.

I have an FXR-SP with the convertible bags on it and they are -nice-.  But...

There is a pretty good chance they will slide out of the well nuts on you.  This happened in TN a few years ago and my son, who was following, told me it was dragging.  eBay had a fair number of them for sale with the bottoms frayed, so that says it is not uncommon.  Anything that diminishes friction can aggravate this.  Water, oil, whatever gets between the rubber and the well nut.

The solution is to strap the handles together across the seat.  A tie down strap from a bicycle shop works very well for this.  You can strap it under the seat but it might scratch the paint, and it will certainly make it harder to remove the bags.  Over the seat works fine unless you have a passenger and even then, might work fine.  Just move the snap, hook, buckle, or whatever you use to fasten the ends of the strap together, to the side.

Bullwinkle
1993 FXR-SP
1999 FXR3

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 08:19:48 PM »

Hi,
 I am getting my FXR4 ready to drive to Sturgis 2009. I have HD quick release windshield and Easy Brackets on my Viking bags that match the Nustang flip seat. There are numerous changs not listed, Just ordered a T-Bag Universal bag. Will upgrade front fork spings and damper and get a set Of B&T Smooth ride shocks soon. Guess I di have a FXR Dresser now. It is not the fastest bike around but I can still get a speeding ticket!!
Ltank

Please tell us something about that rear fender ..... it's certainly not stock .... looks like the rear fender off of a soft tail custom ..... about the 1999 2000 year vintage...

Thanks
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 20 queries.