Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: My Ride Like a Pro experience  (Read 2723 times)

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
My Ride Like a Pro experience
« on: April 22, 2013, 01:32:07 PM »

I took the Ride Like a Pro class yesterday.
It was Humbling..
I have seen the video and thought it would be pretty easy with someone to instruct me I found out I have more fear in me than I thought. 
There was 18 riders in the class and a lot of them were repeat students.  some were very good and others were more like me.
I started off real good with the Slow Race no problems, Head up Look down range foot on the brake and slip the clutch.
Now the cone weave at 14' going out and 12' comming back.  Now I am learing something getting the dip on my 3rd run it is feeling better.
Third exercise cone weave and then turn about a point.  Here is where I started having trouble after the cone weave I turn toward the instructor (the point to turn about) and I came in to close with no dip to start the circle, I try to tighten it up and here is when my eyes left the point...*L.  I never did get that to my satisfaction.  From here on I was having trouble and i think it basically is fear.  Fear of dropping the bike and the friction zone.  I would slow down too much for my U Turn and then need to speed it up in the turn, my eyes....now my eyes are looking down again.
If you guys have tried this you know what I am talking about.  So I need to practice, practice, practice and take it again.
I can take the class again and again for $50.
Things I need to work on:
I need to get over the fear of dropping this expensive motorcycle.
I need to relax.
Develop a better deeper aggressive Dip
Keep my eyes where I need them.
Better operation of the Friction Zone during a maneuver carry my speed.
Trust the system.
I highly recommend the class.  It looks easy but there are skills to be learned that are not intuitive
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.

mark

Re: My Ride Like a Pro experience
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 01:36:31 PM »

I see nothing wrong with a fear of dropping a $30k+ bike.  One drop could cost a couple thousand. 

Vyscera

• Angsty Youth
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FXDFSE2- Taken out by a Ford
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 02:43:19 PM »

A couple of my friends are MSF instructors, and I've got out as a "range aid" to perform demos and what not. I cant tell you how many times I had to do the figure 8 box until I was happy with the result. But i can now do a 360 at full lock, so the practice was worth it to me. I'd rather drop it in a controlled environment, than in the middle of the street.
Motorbreath is how I live my life, I cant take it any other way...

Soot

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5- Road King in Crushed Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Typhoon (blew in and blew out)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 03:48:25 PM »

I took the Ride Like a Pro class yesterday.
It was Humbling..
I have seen the video and thought it would be pretty easy with someone to instruct me I found out I have more fear in me than I thought. 
There was 18 riders in the class and a lot of them were repeat students.  some were very good and others were more like me.
I started off real good with the Slow Race no problems, Head up Look down range foot on the brake and slip the clutch.
Now the cone weave at 14' going out and 12' comming back.  Now I am learing something getting the dip on my 3rd run it is feeling better.
Third exercise cone weave and then turn about a point.  Here is where I started having trouble after the cone weave I turn toward the instructor (the point to turn about) and I came in to close with no dip to start the circle, I try to tighten it up and here is when my eyes left the point...*L.  I never did get that to my satisfaction.  From here on I was having trouble and i think it basically is fear.  Fear of dropping the bike and the friction zone.  I would slow down too much for my U Turn and then need to speed it up in the turn, my eyes....now my eyes are looking down again.
If you guys have tried this you know what I am talking about.  So I need to practice, practice, practice and take it again.
I can take the class again and again for $50.
Things I need to work on:
I need to get over the fear of dropping this expensive motorcycle.
I need to relax.
Develop a better deeper aggressive Dip
Keep my eyes where I need them.
Better operation of the Friction Zone during a maneuver carry my speed.
Trust the system.
I highly recommend the class.  It looks easy but there are skills to be learned that are not intuitive

Is that the course that Jerry (the Motorman) Palladino from FL talks about?

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 06:03:53 PM »

Ya gotta let that fear go man, I took the bags off and wrapped everything I could in automotive heater hose and zip ties.  One thing (believe it or not ) that REALLY helped me with the dip was to holler WOOP out loud to make me do the dip.  That was my instructors suggestion and it really worked.  Ya gotta keep that head UP and on a pivot, ya dang near have to be able to turn your head like 270 degrees, BUT that scooter will go where your eyes tell it to (hopefully not straight down).  The other thing to work on is when the bars are cocked to right lock tend to twist the throttle open and let the clutch out more, and when cocked to full left, ya tend to pull the clutch in more and throttle off . so takes some concentration there to balance that out.  For me it was like the little lite bulb in my head came on and the bike started goin where I wanted it to go.  Best money I EVER spent in 30 yrs of ridin"  Man if I can pass it anybody can.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 06:52:02 PM »

One thing that will really help is to sit WAY forward. Motor cops call it nuttin' up on the tank. Well you get the idea. Gives you much more mechanical advantage when turning the bars and helps with the long reach in full lock turns. Try it. It works!

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 07:05:17 PM »

RedEagle, do you think having another bike, a training bike, that you would not be afraid to drop would have made you relax? I have found that when a rider is no longer afraid of dropping their CVO, they are able to concentrate and learn the techniques.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 07:10:30 PM »

RedEagle, do you think having another bike, a training bike, that you would not be afraid to drop would have made you relax? I have found that when a rider is no longer afraid of dropping their CVO, they are able to concentrate and learn the techniques.

Nice setup!

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide, Skunk
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 08:32:11 PM »

Holy smokes, I just watched a YouTube of this guy.  I'm amazed and I need to go and try this.  Absolutely cool!
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE Light/Dark Cherry
    • CVO3: 2008 Ford F150 Harley Edition - Supercharged
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 09:51:45 AM »

Thanks for your take on the course.  I have been thinking about it for a couple of years and your perspective really helps.  My biggest problem now it that I am picking up my 10 SESG this week.  Maybe I should take the course on my 08 FLHT before I sell it!
Ride Safe,
JustDennis

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 10:27:38 AM »

A couple of my friends are MSF instructors, and I've got out as a "range aid" to perform demos and what not. I cant tell you how many times I had to do the figure 8 box until I was happy with the result. But i can now do a 360 at full lock, so the practice was worth it to me. I'd rather drop it in a controlled environment, than in the middle of the street.

When I did the MSF course I found the figure 8 box to be the most difficult part.  Takes a lot of confidence to throw a strange scooter into a tight figure 8 with lots of peeps watching.  The epiphany would seem to be learning to drag the brake and add power as opposed to trying to just work the throttle.  Once you get rid of the low speed buck and surge, the tight turn feels a lot more secure.

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 11:05:22 AM »

Thanks guys; I appreciate the feedback.
Snowbound again for a few more days!
This is the bike I have now and it is the one I will master even if I drop it!!  I have kept my protective rubber in place on the crash bars and I can remove the saddle bags in a snap.
 There is so much information to process it will take practice.  I am not scared to death but tight and stressed which is to be expected learning new skills.  If I had a beater bike like a police bike I would use it.  But I would still have to learn the CVO's hydraulic clutch which is a issue for me (see thread This Clutch is a Bear).
I found that Opossum is right on the money at least for me with this statement.
The other thing to work on is when the bars are cocked to right lock tend to twist the throttle open and let the clutch out more, and when cocked to full left, ya tend to pull the clutch in more and throttle off . so takes some concentration there to balance that out.
Hey and I am going to try the WOOP!  I have found that things like that do work.  I learned to ski by singing a song "Friend of the Devil" I think it shifts your brain activity and lets your subconscious take over instead of the analytical portion of the brain weighing all the options.

Guys a couple more things I took away from the class that I am going to incorporate in my riding.
  High side mounting and dismounting.  Motor Officers are trained to mount and dismount on the high side to stay out of traffic.  Felix spoke of the lights on a police bike attract drunks like a moth to the flame.  Same thing as starring at a pot hole you will hit it!  With my back rest and tour pac I don't swing my leg over I poke it thru over the riders seat.  Felix showed us to mount by standing on the right floor board and stepping thru I like it and it makes sense.
  The other one is stopping and starting from a traffic light with my foot on the rear brake.  I used to use the rear until I got real slow then drop feet to the ground and use the front brake for the final stop.  I am going to change that and keep my foot on the right brake all the way to a stop and as I leave from the light, more control and feels better.  It is not a habit yet but it will be!

Thanks guys for your support.

Hey NYSport do it!  Take the class..its fun and these skills are money in the bank.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 11:46:23 AM »

The other one is stopping and starting from a traffic light with my foot on the rear brake.  I used to use the rear until I got real slow then drop feet to the ground and use the front brake for the final stop.  I am going to change that and keep my foot on the right brake all the way to a stop and as I leave from the light, more control and feels better.  It is not a habit yet but it will be!

That is one of the first things I teach riders. The amount of control that comes with that makes a big difference, especially on a big and heavy bike. Just work on starts and stops. Soon you will find you can stop with the bars turned. After a while you will find yourself stopping and keeping your right foot up on the brake almost all the time.

To help with the clutch throttle, position your throttle hand so the knuckles are always up, and keep a relaxed grip. As you turn the bars lock to lock, a relaxed grip will allow you to change hand positions ever so slightly on the throttle for better control. The way to work on that is with the bike off, keep the clutch in the friction zone, and throttle slightly rolled back. Then snap your head to the left, putting chin on shoulder, and turn the bars. Concentrate on keeping the controls smooth and in place. Then snap your head the other way keeping the controls in place. Then do it in neutral with slight throttle. The engine speed will tell you how your control is. Then finally in gear. This is where you will really learn the friction zone, keeping the bike at the edge of movement using only clutch. Remember to TURN YOUR HEAD, as you turn the bars.

The key to this as with everything is regular practice. If you don't practice, the skills will erode.

"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 12:47:32 PM »

"Click"...Print...
Thank You

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 07:39:24 AM »

With my back rest and tour pac I don't swing my leg over I poke it thru over the riders seat.  Felix showed us to mount by standing on the right floor board and stepping thru I like it and it makes sense.

with my short legs, i have had to mount this way ever since i put the tourpack on.  much easier and quicker (less pull on the groin muscles as well)

i know what you mean about the braking thing.  i live at the end of a street that has a pretty steep incline right at the highway.  holding the bike with the rear brake makes it much easier to start from a stop.  i've got to work on making it a habit at other stops though.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 24 queries.