Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shop manuals wrong?  (Read 1102 times)

Doubletap

• Full CVO Member
  • 2005 FLHTCSE2
Shop manuals wrong?
« on: May 08, 2013, 05:13:19 PM »

Ok, so I buy a 2005 Touring model shop manual and the CVO supplement manual. Thumbing through it last night I see several things that aren't right. For instance it shows engine oil level dipstick between the oil filer and the right side floorboard. Nope. Also shows adjustments for front floorboards. Nope. Wiring harness in fairing. Not the same as mine. Gas cap door. Different. On and on and on. So now I'm wondering if I have a bike that someone modified the hell out of or if the factory manuals just that bad. I realize I'm late to the party here with a 2005 model and maybe everyone else already knows this. Anyone?
2005 FLHTCUSE2 custom blue paint, SE-259 cams, Vance and Hines duals, Rinehart mufflers, Stage 2 air kit, Dynojet tuner, Progressive 940 Ultra shocks, Bad Dad bags and rear fender, more to come

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Shop manuals wrong?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 08:21:31 PM »

Ok, so I buy a 2005 Touring model shop manual and the CVO supplement manual. Thumbing through it last night I see several things that aren't right. For instance it shows engine oil level dipstick between the oil filer and the right side floorboard. Nope. Also shows adjustments for front floorboards. Nope. Wiring harness in fairing. Not the same as mine. Gas cap door. Different. On and on and on. So now I'm wondering if I have a bike that someone modified the hell out of or if the factory manuals just that bad. I realize I'm late to the party here with a 2005 model and maybe everyone else already knows this. Anyone?

Actually there is a small height/angle adjustment for the front floorboards where the supports actually attach to the frame.  The front support has two possible holes in the frame gusset, and the rear support has two as well. Actually on mine the left side has three possible holes but only two on the right side, which I always thought was rather strange.  The adjustment went away with the new frames in 2009.

The gas filler door is different on a CVO versus the standard E'glide, as is the console (longer version on the CVO, requires the Road King style seat with a shorter nose).  So if you are just going by the regular Touring manual for those items they won't match up with a CVO.  The only difference I'm aware of in the fairing wiring is the overlay harness for the audio system and the wiring for the garage door opener transmitter.  The turn signals are also different on the CVO so that wiring is routed differently.

Without seeing what you're talking about in person, it's hard to tell if what you have is the stock CVO stuff or perhaps the result of modifications.  If you can post photo's of any particular item you're not sure about it may help.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 24 queries.