Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Full faced helmets in the Southern heat  (Read 14852 times)

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
Full faced helmets in the Southern heat
« on: May 15, 2013, 12:19:54 PM »

I've always wore a 3/4 helmet and I'm now considering going to a modular, full faced, helmet for the added protection but it gets pretty darn hot and humid here in the summer. My questions are for those that are riding in the heat with full faced helmets. How uncomfortable do you get? How well do the venting systems work? Would you recommend one model over another? My choices are somewhat limited because I have a fairly big melon (3XL) and quite a few I've looked at only go to 2XL.

Thanks for any input.

Joe

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
Re: Full faced helmets in the Southern heat
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 12:38:13 PM »

I live in Memphis and I always wear a full-face helmet and have done so for years.  I remember years ago reading an article about the riders at the H-D testing place in AZ (I think) and how they always wear full-face, not so much for safety as they are riding 35 mph or so but because it also protects you from the heat coming off the asphalt.

I would wear shorts when it is hot because it is too uncomfortable when the road gets real hot, same applies here.   

Don't worry about the color of the helmet either because you have 1" of styrofoam insulation between your head and the helmet surface so the little bit of radiant heat does not get through.

Just been my experience.   

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:49:42 PM »

Joe, I don't know of too many people who have gone from a full-face to something else.  Once you have one, you usually don't want to go back.  I doubt you would notice a tremendous amount of difference from a 3/4, as far as the heat goes.  Vents don't do a lot behind a fairing, though.  With a modular, you can flip it up to get some fresh air if you need to.  No more bugs smacking you in the cheek or glasses, plus more quiet, too.  I've had HJCs, Nolans and Shoeis.  Generally, you get what you pay for with a full-face.  Take your time and try several on.  You will know when you find one that fits right.

Just some ramblings while eating lunch ....

:)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 01:06:22 PM »

X3. When it's hot it's hot and the helmet is not going make much difference imo. I find my HJC modular just great and wear it year round.  Even got my wife converted after many year of resistance for fear it would be claustrophobic and hot in the summer. Neither proved to be the case.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 01:08:19 PM »

Joe, I gots a fathead too and mishapen...

If you have a cycle gear store nearby you can torture them until you are happy...they have a 7 day return policy on helmets...I ended up with an Arai Profile..that I hardly wear.

http://www.cyclegear.com/

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 03:23:18 PM »

Mrs.R and I wear modular helmets now and was concerned about the heat also, after a few long days in 100+ temps the helmets were no problem as we were wearing soak in water then wear dry cool vests that made the heat bearable. As was said before opening the sheild a little helps also. I didn't think much about those cool vest things until I used one now won't leave home without it. We got so used to soaking them at each gas stop that we had to pull over at the end of the day cause we were freezing after the sun went down. :huepfenlol2:

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »

We live in AZ, so we know heat quite well.  We wear modular full face here all the time.  I believe I am cooker in my full face than in my 1/2 helmet.  I ride with the modular closed and the face shield open 98% of the time.  Only when it is very cold do I close the face shield.  This works for us.
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 04:56:44 PM »

Joe, I worried about the same thing, but my Nolan N-104 is surprisingly comfortable in the summer heat.  Try on a few and pick the one that fits you best.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 05:31:48 PM »

I think you will find, as others have said, that the heat is really not an issue...in fact, IMO, it blocks some of the heat coming off the road and blasting you in the face while going down the road at speed.  If you get hot at a red light, just flip it up for a minute or two.

IMO, there are a few things to look for in a modular helmet:

1.) That it fits the shape of your head...this is true for any helmet, but particularly for a Flip/Full Face.
2.) That it is fairly well ventilated
3.) That it has an internal sun shield that is easy to operate with one hand
4.) It has a removable liner so that you can wash it from time to time (wearing a Buff helps...or a do-rag)
5.) That the outer shield has detents so you can adjust the opening to several different positions

Depending on the shape of your head, if I were buying one today, my choices, in no particular order, would consist of:

Nolan N-104
Shoei Neotec
Schuberth C3
HJC (their top of the line model)
Shark Evoline 3

The Shoei Neotec and Nolan N-104 have generally received the best reviews with regards to ventilation.  But that is going to be limited to some extent on a bagger.  But you will get some ventilation from the top vents on the helmet. In addition, those get some good reviews for comfort and the sun shield coming down far enough to not be in your line of sight.  They are also easy to open/close.

If you want to read a lot of reviews on helmets, go to:   http://www.webbikeworld.com/

They review all kinds of gear there, and are generally up to date on the latest and greatest stuff.  They also have a good article on head shapes, shell sizes, getting a proper fit, etc.

A nice source, IMO, for helmets on line is Revzilla.com  They have good prices, do their own video reviews, and have an exchange policy that is excellent.

As others have mentioned, once you go to a flip/full face, it's hard to go back to anything else for a number of reasons.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »

If you have a cycle gear store nearby you can torture them until you are happy...they have a 7 day return policy on helmets...I ended up with an Arai Profile..that I hardly wear.

http://www.cyclegear.com/

Thanks for all the feedback guys, and thanks to Miker on the tip about cycle gear. When I first read your post, I thought there was no way there was a store around here but I used their store locator and found there is one about 25 miles from my home. I'll head over there tomorrow and check them out. Let the shopping / torturing begin!  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: I'll let you know what I end up with.

Thanks again,

Joe

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 07:30:04 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Be a good kid a bring a head rag to wear.... ;)

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 07:34:52 AM »

good info here, my skid lid has served its purpose and a modular is in my near future.  :2vrolijk_21:

TN

Wut the hell was that maneuver

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 12:17:11 PM »

We have the N90's and very happy sometimes use the little dark shield like a visor on a car, just a little to block the sun when riding into the sun.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 12:25:18 PM »

We have the N90's and very happy sometimes use the little dark shield like a visor on a car, just a little to block the sun when riding into the sun.

Terry...that's the way I used to use the sunshade on my Nolan N-102.  I'd bring it down just enough to shade my eyes.

Once your helmets "wear out" try one of the newer styles that have the internal sun visor...it is seriously a nice feature, particularly if you wear glasses and don't want to spend the big dollars on prescription sunglasses and have to keep up with two pair of spectacles.  And those tunnels you go through occasionally are a real bitch if you've got sunglasses on...all of the sudden, you can't see chit!   :huepfenlol2:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 12:52:30 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Be a good kid a bring a head rag to wear.... ;)

Hadn't thought of that but I'll do it. Thanks!!

Haven't been called a kid in quite a while. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 12:54:05 PM by JoeVibe »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 26 queries.