Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CVO cover?  (Read 1942 times)

BaggerProud

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 banana
    • CVO2: 1994 FXSTC
    • CVO3: 1983 XLX
CVO cover?
« on: May 16, 2013, 01:07:12 PM »

Just read that a number of guys say don't use the CVO indoor cover that comes with the 05 SEEG. Not sure about the logic. ANy help/thoughts.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Re: CVO cover?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »

Some have reported that repeated on/off cycles are causing some scratching/hazing of the paint.
I use a king sized sheet to keep the dust off in the garage.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 02:37:32 PM »

It will not keep dust off. Very low thread count, I also use a 100 thread count sheet on mine.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 02:38:26 PM »

Mines always dirty...

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 02:42:53 PM »

It will not keep dust off. Very low thread count, I also use a 100 thread count sheet on mine.
Ruby must be spoiled....Egyptian 400tpi.....pillow case's seams were falling apart and the company sent us a whole new set in a new color of our choice as the original color was disco'd.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 02:44:56 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 02:56:42 PM »

Just read that a number of guys say don't use the CVO indoor cover that comes with the 05 SEEG. Not sure about the logic. ANy help/thoughts.

While it's listed as a dust cover, it doesn't say it is dust proof and I don't expect it to be.  What it does is provide some protection while still allowing the bike and the cover to "breathe".

I've done it both ways, with a king size bed sheet and with the CVO cover.  Either way works, but the bed sheet requires more screwing around securing it (I used several bungee cords to hold it together under the bike, and several safety pins).  The CVO cover is shaped to actually fit the bike and has elastic to keep it in place.  If you have reservations about the coarseness of the fabric and potential scratching, do as I do and place a soft cloth on those areas most likely to rub, like the Tour Pak, fuel tank, and windshield/fairing, and install the cover over that.  I haven't had a problem doing it that way for many years now.  And the amount of dust on the bike when the cover gets removed in the spring is minimal and blows or wipes off easily.

You can also buy aftermarket covers that will probably work better than the one that came with the bike; just remember that you don't want an outdoor cover that will trap moisture for long term storage.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 10:24:50 PM »

I have never took the cover out of the bag, just holding on to it when I sell the bike.
Too busy ridin'
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 07:40:32 AM »

If your storing your bike in your garage, why cover it?  :nixweiss:
Hawg

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 07:42:44 AM »

If your storing your bike in your garage, why cover it?  :nixweiss:
To protect against spider poop? :nixweiss:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 08:14:36 AM »

I have a 15 year old boy that like to tinker in the garage mine gets a cover as soon as it cools off in the garage.   With something I mark on it some where to let me know if he rides it when I am not home.   Don't think he would but I would of if it was my dads.  He had a triumph that I dropped when I was 8 and it fell over on the crash bar.  Took 4 of my friends to help me get it back up before he got home.   So it discourages any unauthorized test rides.   Either way it still gets some dust on it.   I haven't had any problems with scratches but I do place soft towels over tank, front fender, and top of saddle bags.  But for some reason this bike attacks dirt,dust and bugs.   I seem to clean it a lot even with a cover.     

Not sure what wax you use but you may want to try something different and see if it helps. Regular dust just comes right off with a blow gun like someone mentioned above.  I personally like meguires but that's what I am used to.  But there are a lot of good products out there. 

Don't know if this helped any but good luck and have fun riding.        Todd
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

Fire4Effect

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 10:44:23 AM »

While in the garage, I just use one of the white covers that Harley uses while shipping the bikes to the dealer.

No scratches, they fit well, keeps dust off the bike and at free.99, the price is right.  ;D

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 24 queries.