Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suspension options, new bike last week  (Read 2922 times)

roundincircles

Suspension options, new bike last week
« on: May 19, 2013, 12:15:25 PM »

After ordering a red CVO RK last September it arrived this Thursday ( in the UK ).

Big surprise how well this bike turns in and corners like it's on rails. Great easy change box and very light clutch.....what a relief. Paint finnish is impressive but that acre or so of chrome makes me think intimacy with polish and cloth is essential.

Great engine that has character in spades when in that sweet spot.....love it.

But there is a But.

The front and rear suspension jars so harshly over the UK poorly maintained roads its seriously killing my back. I damaged my lower vertebrae earlier this year.

So what is the solution?

I have googled suspension upgrade here in the UK and Ohlins comes up but very little else.

Any advice on the options would be welcome.

Great bike. My first Harley.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:17:28 PM by roundincircles »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Suspension options, new bike last week
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 12:57:30 PM »

Probably the easiest way to go for you because you're in the UK is to go with Progressive Monotubes (full length version) on the front end and either Progressive 940's on the rear, Bitubo's, or Ohlins.  Bitubo's would be my first choice, but only because I know what they can do for the ride and have not used the others.

I don't know what's available over there, but you can probably get it all from the US and have it shipped?

One US dealer for the Bitubo's is Traxxion Dynamics.  Talk to Dan.  They offer an excellent front end too, but the logistics would be a real problem getting it installed.

Most any competent shop can install the Progressive Monotubes...the rear shocks are a piece of cake, if you have any kind of bike jack.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

roundincircles

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 01:00:57 PM »

Midnight. Thank you that is very helpful. One question. Is progressive a generic term or a Brand......I'm new to Harley?

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 01:11:16 PM »

Midnight. Thank you that is very helpful. One question. Is progressive a generic term or a Brand......I'm new to Harley?

http://www.heritagecycleworks.com/Product_View.cfm?int_ProductID=7688&ID=0&SubMenu=0
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 01:13:19 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »

Progressive suspension is a brand.  I am unsure of their distribution in the UK.  The front fork kit is about $300 here in the US.  It will make a huge difference in how the front end behaves.  Of course, you'll have to pay for installation.

The rear shocks...if possible, I would get a shock that has three adjustments:  Spring preload (sag), Rebound damping adjustment, and Compression damping adjustment.  Bitubos do that.  They are made in Italy.  There are other good shocks too.  You will get what you pay for in a rear shock, as a general rule.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide, Skunk
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 05:05:54 PM »

I used Ohlins model 159.  They are 13 inch but they are adjustable length.  With them configured at the shortest setting there was no ride height change!  The best part is they retain the travel of the longer shock, great for rough roads.  The Ohlins make a big difference in the ride.  We have pretty bad roads around here and the improvement over stock is tremendous.  I used Ricor and race tech up front, not bad, but I'll add Ohlins cartridges as soon as they are available.
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 06:31:55 PM »

I just installed Works Shocks ( black billet ) in the rear and Works Cartridges in the front of a 2010 SE Ultra. Cost $2000.00 installed.  And I can tell you the difference is beyond amazing!!! Works are way better quality than progressive. And about the same as Ohlins, but cheaper.  The equipment is built by hand by Works for your specific bike, weight, riding style and preference. Can't just buy off the shelf, have to order directly from Works after talking to them. This is the best upgrade, and one that gave me the most bang for my buck I have ever done, to any bike that I owned.  Night and day difference. Check out Works first. Cheers.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 01:31:14 PM »

I had Ohlins on my Limited, decided to go with JRIs on the CVO.  The Ohlins totally transformed the ride of the bike, and I expect that the JRIs will do even better since they have an additional 22mm of stroke to them.
The best you've had is the best you know.

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 01:57:17 PM »

Hi there,

Nice bike, I have a 2007 CVO RK, have tried a couple of HD front suspension systems, my advice on those is "DON`T" go there, one of them was a disaster,  after the front end going away from me last August and me ending up on the floor (only doing 30-35), decided I had to make a serious attempt to find something better,  anyway ended up getting the Progressive suspension Monotube conversion for the front, and Progressive 440`s on the back, and they are great, rides great now, no bottoming out when my wife is on the back and the front is now planted much better with much less nose dive under braking (almost none), I know that progressive now do an updated rear pair called 444`s, got mine from jcmotors(USA), got really good deal, saved about £220 on U.K. prices, even after shipping and taxes. Good luck.
WHUFC   COYI

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 04:04:25 PM »

Of course, you'll have to pay for installation.

3-4 hours on a SG to install...even easier on a RK...if you have any mechanical inclination, go for the install yourself.

I stay away from anything HD offers as a front suspension 'improvement', have not heard good things about them and I already bought a POS front suspension from them that came with the bike...not gonna give them more money for another one!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 04:06:51 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 10:04:30 PM »

After ordering a red CVO RK last September it arrived this Thursday ( in the UK ).

Big surprise how well this bike turns in and corners like it's on rails. Great easy change box and very light clutch.....what a relief. Paint finnish is impressive but that acre or so of chrome makes me think intimacy with polish and cloth is essential.

Great engine that has character in spades when in that sweet spot.....love it.

But there is a But.

The front and rear suspension jars so harshly over the UK poorly maintained roads its seriously killing my back. I damaged my lower vertebrae earlier this year.

So what is the solution?

I have googled suspension upgrade here in the UK and Ohlins comes up but very little else.

Any advice on the options would be welcome.

Great bike. My first Harley.

As previously stated, Works Performance Suspension products are excellent. Give them a call and they can handle your suspension needs.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 05:51:05 PM »

Round,

Is that a custom license plate [HD13 YKE], or do all UK motorcycle tags have the manufacturer and year on them?

Good advice above.  I've used the Progressive monotubes up front, with the Works or Legend air shocks on the rear.  All of them have been huge improvements over the stock HD components.  I found my Works shocks on eBay; maybe the others also are available there?
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 25 queries.