Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: My install of Dyna Beads... grab a beer but be ready to spit it out laughing  (Read 6614 times)

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member

I'd try a turkey baster with a clear plastic tube from the baster and over the valve stem. Then hold an engraver sideways to the valve stem to create a vibration. I've read about the engraver, the baster is something I just thought about.

Hadn't heard anything about speed ratings but will look into it. Ok I opened the link. If I was drag racing and had low profile tires I'd be concerned. No notice in the motorcycle section so not gonna worry.

But I'm for sure going to use nitrogen but if the shop doesn't have it then I'll buy my own kit. I'm guilty of sending the bike to the shop for repairs upgrades mainly from a lack of time issue. Pretty much the only machine I've owned that someone else touches except for oil changes.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 12:18:02 PM by CVOThunder »
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Local guy here dumps them in prior to popping the second side of the tire on.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member

Hadn't heard anything about speed ratings but will look into it. Ok I opened the link. If I was drag racing and had low profile tires I'd be concerned. No notice in the motorcycle section so not gonna worry.
The link has nothing to do with speed ratings, it has to do with the aspect ratio of the tire.  Every tire fitted to the Touring line is a shorter profile than 65.  Many of us like to ride our bikes hard in the mountains.  There's no way I'd use a product that the manufacturer doesn't recommend for my application.

I suffered a catastrophic failure of my front tire using DynaBeads.  I had sealed spoked wheels, and the beads ate up the sealant causing rapid pressure loss.  I managed to get the bike stopped safely; it very easily could have gone another way.
The best you've had is the best you know.

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member

The link has nothing to do with speed ratings, it has to do with the aspect ratio of the tire.  Every tire fitted to the Touring line is a shorter profile than 65.  Many of us like to ride our bikes hard in the mountains.  There's no way I'd use a product that the manufacturer doesn't recommend for my application.

I suffered a catastrophic failure of my front tire using DynaBeads.  I had sealed spoked wheels, and the beads ate up the sealant causing rapid pressure loss.  I managed to get the bike stopped safely; it very easily could have gone another way.

Not specifically but it does take into consideration how fast you go and how much loading is developed as per the link. The aspect ratio is a ratio of width to height and on a wide low tire the two sides can't be balanced with beads and require real weights before installing beads. If the mfg hadn't specified dyna beads for motorcycles then they wouldn't have them for sale and would suffer many lawsuits. Dynabeads have been used on tons of GoldWings and crotch rockets which generate far more heat than most of us will ever see. Wings are usually heavily loaded and some pull trailers, the rocket guys are just nutz in the corners so these have been tested in worse conditions. I don't have them in my CVO but I do have them in my 96 Wing and it made a huge difference in the way it rides and handles. But most installs are in smooth cast aluminum wheels running nitrogen.

Considering that dynabeads must be able to move around to find their natural balance, installing them in a tire that has goop inside defeats the purpose and I can see why you had problems. Maybe I'm misundertanding what you mean by sealed spokes. If it was a compound that hardened after install on the nipples then no, there shouldn't have been any interaction between the 2 products. If there was a liquid product inside the tire as it sounds like then that was the problem. There is a sealant called "Ride-on" (I think that's the name) that seals the tire and acts as a balancing agent. Never tried it so I can't reply on that aspect. But running the two together will cause big clumping problems and a massive weight issue.

Dyna beads might not be the route you wanna go and that's cool. But for me it's the only product I'm using from now on. I expected to pull the weights off my CVO and replace them with beads but there are no weights on either rim nor is there any tape residue. Seems to roll down the road just fine so either I got lucky or I need to add some beads as I'm not feeling an imbalance. I wonder if the tires and wheels are supposed to be balanced at the factory or the dealership? If it's the later then they were just lazy fooks and didn't balance them up. Something else I better look into.
2007 Softail Custom

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2

I've never had any problems with the beads myself and don't ever see using wheel weights again.  If I had spoke wheels then using weights wouldn't be such a problem as there would be a positive attachment for them and not relying on an adhesive or sticky tape to keep them on.
Jesus is Lord

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member

Not specifically but it does take into consideration how fast you go and how much loading is developed as per the link. The aspect ratio is a ratio of width to height and on a wide low tire the two sides can't be balanced with beads and require real weights before installing beads. If the mfg hadn't specified dyna beads for motorcycles then they wouldn't have them for sale and would suffer many lawsuits. Dynabeads have been used on tons of GoldWings and crotch rockets which generate far more heat than most of us will ever see. Wings are usually heavily loaded and some pull trailers, the rocket guys are just nutz in the corners so these have been tested in worse conditions. I don't have them in my CVO but I do have them in my 96 Wing and it made a huge difference in the way it rides and handles. But most installs are in smooth cast aluminum wheels running nitrogen.

Considering that dynabeads must be able to move around to find their natural balance, installing them in a tire that has goop inside defeats the purpose and I can see why you had problems. Maybe I'm misundertanding what you mean by sealed spokes. If it was a compound that hardened after install on the nipples then no, there shouldn't have been any interaction between the 2 products. If there was a liquid product inside the tire as it sounds like then that was the problem. There is a sealant called "Ride-on" (I think that's the name) that seals the tire and acts as a balancing agent. Never tried it so I can't reply on that aspect. But running the two together will cause big clumping problems and a massive weight issue.

Dyna beads might not be the route you wanna go and that's cool. But for me it's the only product I'm using from now on. I expected to pull the weights off my CVO and replace them with beads but there are no weights on either rim nor is there any tape residue. Seems to roll down the road just fine so either I got lucky or I need to add some beads as I'm not feeling an imbalance. I wonder if the tires and wheels are supposed to be balanced at the factory or the dealership? If it's the later then they were just lazy fooks and didn't balance them up. Something else I better look into.
Sealed spoke wheels have no "goop" inside them.  Totally different than the "Ride On" product.

Aside from the fact that they don't do what they're advertised to do (if they did, ya think maybe some OEM or tire manufacturer might recommend them?), the manufacturer of this particular snake oil clearly states not to use them in our tires without external weights.  Don't believe me?  Call them.

You also mention Nitrogen, which is utterly worthless in a motorcycle tire.  Nitrogen's great in aircraft tires due to its lack of hygroscopy, but there's no benefit in cars or bikes.  There is a minimal difference in pressure loss, but if you're checking your tires as part of your pre-ride checklist as you should be, there's no benefit there either.

Debunk of Nitrogen here.

The DynaBeads thing has been beaten to death, but if the principle worked the way it's advertised, no washing machine would ever get unbalanced.  There's no guaranty that the beads will end up where you want them, especially since they get dislodged every time the tire rotates and the spot they're in flattens out when it contacts the road.  What the beads do (to a certain extent) is dampen the vibrations in the wheel unit, but that's not the same as actually balancing the wheel.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:52:30 PM by 05train »

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member

Then don't use the chit. I'll keep using it and filling my tires with nitrogen. I know for a fact that dynobeads work or at least they have for me. The case you stated before about needing external weights for A/R of 65 and below does not apply to motorcycles. Race cars with big tires and the like yes, I can see that point. A washing machine can't be totally balanced because the clothes are locked. Like pants, the seat will be in one place and the pant legs another place with whatever else is being washed. Not enough ability for clothes to relocate to completely balance the load. Apples and oranges. Believe what you wanna believe, I'll keep using it.

Ok, I'll agree on the nitrogen. After reading numerous articles since my previous write up, the benefits on a street machine aren't really worth the costs. If it's already put in like at costco then I wouldn't complain but then they don't do bike tires. Not sure now if I'd waste my cash on a fill kit but doubtful. Seems to be a big thing with car and bike dealerships...must be the cash infusion.

Long day and I was tired of not knowing where they were sending me to work. Well looks like the job is done and time to enjoy life again.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 04:53:59 AM by CVOThunder »
2007 Softail Custom

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member

No, you don't feel any vibration, you don't know that they're actually balancing the tires....Unless you've got empirical test data you've compiled that exists nowhere on the internet or published technical manuals.  Again, I don't care whether you believe me or not, simply call Innovative Balancing for yourself (I did), or call any tire manufacturer and see what they recommend (I did that too). 

Your bike, your money, your life.  Use what you want, just don't state your opinion as fact, especially when you have nothing to back it up, and when the company that makes the product disagrees with you.

ultrarider123

Wow guys.  This post started as a very funny story about the misadventures of OBB sneezing Dyna Beads all over his garage and it's taken a very weird turn.  To quote a infamous character from the not too recent past "Can't we just all get along"..... :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:15:56 AM by Haird »

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member

Yeah I enjoyed the funny parts of this as well. I'm blocked from their site at work so someone else feel free to research this.

05Train, do you have any documentation on this. The link you provided earlier is not for motorcycles and I would like to know what they are claiming is the problem. How about a phone number for the company so I can call them. I can call a 800# but I can't visit their site.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:15:19 AM by CVOThunder »
2007 Softail Custom

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle

Interesting how some feel that Dyna-beads are all bunk and yet they work well for others.  Dyna-beads work well for me, yet my buddy never could get them to work with his wheels (which turned out to be way out of balance and required lots of weights to balance).  Not having stick-on weights is a big plus for me, so I'll keep using the beads as long as they work as advertised.  Not investing in Nitrogen yet, but if someone (dealer, etc) wants to install for free, I'm not turning it down.  Still enjoy the debates on these and other 'solutions'.  :) har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK

Presently not using DynaBeads with my FLHRSEI2, that is not to say that some day i may give them a try.
Correct me if I am wrong, but my tires are D402 MT89B16. That would be a 90% Profile.
All I can say is that what i was told at Whitehores Gear was this - They have sold over 5K Kits and have had only 2 complaints.

Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member

Presently not using DynaBeads with my FLHRSEI2, that is not to say that some day i may give them a try.
Correct me if I am wrong, but my tires are D402 MT89B16. That would be a 90% Profile.
All I can say is that what i was told at Whitehores Gear was this - They have sold over 5K Kits and have had only 2 complaints.
Yes, the number in the old alpha code is the aspect ratio, so you're good-to-go in that respect.

sblade1948

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE

I have an 07 FXDSE, have had Dyna Beads in tires since first stick on weight flew off. Have never had any bounce or wobble. I've got over 63,000 miles on the bike and have went thru several sets of tires.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B

This post is very interesting as are the others related to tire balancing and the use of dynabeads.

I just finished installing a set of Metzeler 888's with my new No Mar tire changer.  My old front tire had 3.5 oz of weight and the rear had 1.25 oz.  Never had any problems, but TN commented to me at Ribfest that I might have a problem with my wheels since that much weight was required.  So when I removed the old tires I decided to check the static balance of the wheel itself.  Interesting to find that the true heavy point on both wheels was not anywhere near the valve stem.  Common practice to align dot on tire (light point) with valve stem (heavy point) on wheel when mounting tire, then balance the assembly.  Attached pic shows this point was about 90 degrees off on front wheel.

I marked the true heavy point, mounted tire and aligned dot on tire with the true heavy point on wheel.  I needed less than 1/2 oz weight on front and less than 1/4 oz on rear.  Actually debated with myself for 10 minutes on putting any weight on rear as it was that close to perfectly balanced without any weights.

Takeaway here is that you should balance the wheels first and then the wheel with tire to minimize or even eliminate the use of weights regardless of method preferred.  This may be why factory bikes have no wheel weights installed?  For those with new bikes and no weights, see if the dot on the tire is aligned with the valve stem.

I'm also considering using dynabeads in the future.  Since this was the first time I've installed and balanced my own wheels and tires, I went conservative.  There are many other factors to consider with dynabeads; have to mount tire without tire lube grease (beads will stick), inside of tire must be dry and smooth and then how much do you use?  For my tires, it's 2 oz per tire, but do you put in the whole 2 whether you need it or not?  For example, why should I put in 2 oz when I only need 1/2 oz to balance?

Btw, I'm really happy with the No Mar product and glad my buddy TN convinced me to buy one.  There are a few tricks of the trade to learn, but once you get it, changing your own tires is a breeze.  Best of all, it's done right! :2vrolijk_21:
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 24 queries.