Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: My install of Dyna Beads... grab a beer but be ready to spit it out laughing  (Read 6612 times)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue

I had the bike in for it's 15k service the other day and asked them to check the fall away again as it has it's "wobble" back.  Turns out it's the tire without the wheel weights,,,gee, I wonder where they went  ???

Anyway, Figured I'd grab some dyna beads instead of them mounting more wheel weights that are gonna fly off again. Stopped by the local NAPA store and pick up a 4oz bag (smallest they had). Checked the website and it calls for 2oz for motorcycle tires. Easy enough to split that in half right? haha,,,ever open one of those bags before? I was very careful and slowly poured the bag onto a cookie sheet to split the contents in half. I think trying to pick up mercury out of a thermometer would be easier than this stuff. Those suckers are tiny.
I split the beads up into two parts. One part in a baggie and the other in a paper envelope.

Now for the interesting part. Did I mention I don't do my own tire installs? No tire spoons or anything like that. Figured it can't be too hard to pour them through the valve stem. Have never seen a funnel small enough so I had to improvise. Took the old valve out of the stem, took a plastic straw and cut a slit in one end so it would fit into the valve stem. Cut a notch in the "feed" end to be able to pour the beads into it.

Put the bike on the jack, put a plastic tarp under the front tire as I knew those damn things would be going everywhere. I cut a tiny hole in the corner of the envelope to pour the beads out of. Started off pretty good until I sneezed. Damn, half the beads on the tarp. Got that out of the way. Back to putting more in the tire. Stupid beads kept clogging in the valve stem if I went too fast. Take a pick and dig around a little to unclog the valve and start over again.  I finally get the contents of the envelope empty, try to scoop the ones off the tarp, not gonna happen. Get about the equal amount out of the baggie that's on the tarp put those in the envelop and back at it.

Took about an hour an a half from start to finish but I got it done and no more wobble!  :huepfenjump3: Put 300 miles on it today without any issues. When it's time for new tires, I'll order the beads and have the dealer put them in when they do the mounting. I won't be going through that again.  :'(
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE

Well, I blew in the straw once, thought it would force those things into the tire, won't do that again.  Those little suckers  come right back up the straw!   :'(

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)

What are the Dyna Beeds made of?

2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

RANGER73

They sell a small plastic bottle with a pointed tip, you have to keep tapping the bottle as you squeeze it in. Also don't be surprised why the dealer won't put in the beads.
SUA SPONTE
PAID CLOSE ATTENTION TO ALL MURPHY'S LAWS

RANGER73

Not sure what they're made of. Glass or plastic.
SUA SPONTE
PAID CLOSE ATTENTION TO ALL MURPHY'S LAWS

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

Tiny ceramic balls, imbued with magical properties by a wizened old sorcerer, possibly the guy from the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6

This would make for some good tv.  I had tears running out my eyes as soon as a read sneeze.  I am thinking to myself damn that straw idea was a good one then I read sneeze and I am crying with laughter.   

Thanks Ohiobellboy I needed that laugh about 4 and half whiskey sours and I read this.  I don't know if I can finish the rest of it. 

Yep I could.   Thanks I needed that.   

Before your next tire change might find a small funnel that you could cut down and thread down on valve stem.   Just a thought.  I have never tried them beads before but the idea sounds like it would work. 
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8

You'd think Dyna Beads would include a funnel of some kind with every package of beads they sell.  :sauer055: :dunk:

When you have to get a new tire, can you get the beads back out, or do you have to pony up and buy another bag of beads?

At least it's good to hear that they work.  Thanks to Gandalf.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue

You'd think Dyna Beads would include a funnel of some kind with every package of beads they sell.  :sauer055: :dunk:

When you have to get a new tire, can you get the beads back out, or do you have to pony up and buy another bag of beads?

At least it's good to hear that they work.  Thanks to Gandalf.
I'm sure there's a way to get them back out if it's time to change the tire. Maybe put the bike on the jack,let the air out of the tire, drill a hole towards the top of the tire then rotate the hole down where you have a catch pan waiting for them. dunno. A guy on the RG forum put an explanation out on how to do it but I'm not quite sure I can visualize what he was talking about.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK

When it's time for new tires, I'll order the beads and have the dealer put them in when they do the mounting. I won't be going through that again.  :'(

Dynabeads does have a kit to make it a bit easier to install and they also sell varioussize packs
Dyna Beads Innovative Balancing Complete Kit
http://www.whitehorsegear.com/dyna-beads-innovative-balancing

You may want to let the Shop know that you have Dynabeads in your present tires. Just think how hard it was to pick them up off the tarp. Imagine the Dealer's Shop Floor?

Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' EagleĀ® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK

What are the Dyna Beeds made of?

Here is Wikipedia's Answer
Dynabeads
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynabeads
Dynabeads are superparamagnetic, monosized and spherical polymer particles with a consistent, defined surface for the adsorption or coupling of various bioreactive molecules or cells.

They were developed after John Ugelstad managed to create uniform polystyrene spherical beads (defined as microbeads) of exactly the same size,[1][2] at the University of Trondheim, Norway in 1976, something otherwise only achieved by NASA[3] in the weightless conditions of SkyLab.

This discovery revolutionised the liquid-phase kinetic separation of many biological materials.[3] The technology behind the beads, called Dynabeads, was licensed to Dyno Industrier in 1980 and this magnetic separation technology has been since used for the isolation and manipulation of biological material, including cells, nucleic acids, proteins and pathogenic microorganisms.[4][5] The uniformity in size, shape, and surface area allow for reproducibility and help to minimize chemical agglutination. Dynabeads is also used in cancer research applications for what is called cell isolation.[4]

Following a series of mergers and acquisitions Dynal and Dynabeads are currently owned and produced by Invitrogen,[4] part of Life Technologies.

Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' EagleĀ® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member

Ohiobellboy, you are aware that Innovative Balancing doesn't recommend their product for tires with an aspect ratio of 65 or lower without use of stick-on weights as well, right?  They also don't recommend the product be used "for any application involving cornering at high speeds, or in tires placed under high acceleration beyond normal highway use". 

Not trying to bust your balls, just sayin'.....
The best you've had is the best you know.

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold

LMFAO  :2vrolijk_21:

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty

If you have some left over beads, you wanna line them up on a mirror and snort them through a straw. You will find it almost impossible to fall over after that. Great for us old folks who are having balance problems. ;)

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs

If you have some left over beads, you wanna line them up on a mirror and snort them through a straw. You will find it almost impossible to fall over after that. Great for us old folks who are having balance problems. ;)

ROTFL! Maybe I should try that...

I have two sets of DynaBeads sitting here, but I have never put them in. After reading this thread, I'm not sure I really want to try. I would surely sneeze at some point!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 24 queries.