Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Windshields  (Read 3483 times)

georgied

Windshields
« on: May 26, 2013, 10:00:27 AM »

My 2011 SGSE has a Klock Werks "Flare" windshield. It does  fine job with the wind but is so distorted that if I want to look through it I almost loose my equilibrium. I want something that I can see through. Anyone have any experience with a more optically stable windshield?
Georgied

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
Re: Windshields
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 10:20:26 AM »

I love my Freedom Shield. Due to a neck injury I need the shield high enough to stop wind buffeting therefore I look through my shield.  I have NO visual distortion.  The quality of this shield is OUTSTANDING.  :2vrolijk_21:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 10:26:56 AM »

x2  they are excellent.   And they give us a discount.  I have three different sizes  

sinktip

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 12:01:58 PM »

x3 on Freedom Shields
Best by far that I have found.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 12:15:01 PM »

Long ride shields has a recurve 7" that works great. They usually give big discounts too.

http://longrideshields.com/xcart/Harley-Batwing-Fairing-Windshields/

georgied

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 12:45:34 PM »

Looking at both Freedom and Long Ride. Freedom claims to be 30% thicker but I trust this is not a problem for mounting?
Georgied

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 02:16:02 PM »

You might want to check out Clearview shields too. They have a quality product and good return policy and customer service. At one time they offered a CVO site discount too.

http://clearviewshields.com/shop/manufacturer.php?id=9

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »

Freedom all the way !!!!!!!!!!
DND

sinktip

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 03:51:40 PM »

Yes Freedom shields are thicker but I have had no problem mounting. No gap and the shield is less flexible than some I have tried.  They also polish the edges so you don'tnhave the matte finish on the edge.  The only slight downside is some have claimed a reflection off the edge. It has never bothered me but see where you could get it at certain sun angles.

georgied

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 05:02:27 PM »

OK! Thanks for all your great input. I'll repost after I decide and install the new shield. You all have been very helpful.
Georgied

Tannehill Kid

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 12:13:34 AM »

I just put the Freedom 7'" on my SG and made my first long ride with it this weekend!  After the first 50 miles I hated it.  Could not make of my mind if I wanted to look over the top or thru the sheild.  After riding another 300 miles on the ride I never thought twice about the shield.  I have the tinted shield and need to ride at night to see if looking thru the shield is a problem.  Still have some buffering but not as bad.

georgied

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 09:06:23 AM »

Tannehill Kid: How tall are you and what is your inseam measurement? I have the Klock Werks now which is 7". It is the perfect height but it has a pretty steep rake on it. Looks like the 7" Freedom may have a higher profile which would not be good. Trying to beat Murphy's Law by choosing between the 6" or 7"? I am 5'10" + with a 31 " inseam.
Georgied

georgied

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 08:41:11 PM »

OK, so here's the deal. I ordered from Freedom. The reason might surprise you. I decided to give Aero a shot. Their website would not take my order no matter how hard I tried. OK, so second choice was Long Ride Shields. Their site wouldn't take my order. I mean we are not even talking about getting to first base! So, If a site cannot get it's chit together to take and order, how do you think I would deal with that? I have been in the IT bus for many years so I know how to nav a site but nope! So ..... no problem with Freedom. Order placed! No problem. Now the only reason I didn't go with them from the beginning is cause I wanted a Polycarb shield. It's Ok. I'll deal with it!
Georgied

AZ Sparky

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 in Kryptonite/Black
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 07:00:55 PM »

OK, so here's the deal. I ordered from Freedom. The reason might surprise you. I decided to give Aero a shot. Their website would not take my order no matter how hard I tried. OK, so second choice was Long Ride Shields. Their site wouldn't take my order. I mean we are not even talking about getting to first base! So, If a site cannot get it's chit together to take and order, how do you think I would deal with that? I have been in the IT bus for many years so I know how to nav a site but nope! So ..... no problem with Freedom. Order placed! No problem. Now the only reason I didn't go with them from the beginning is cause I wanted a Polycarb shield. It's Ok. I'll deal with it!

Well, its been a few days since you ordered - did you get your new shield yet?  Get it installed and test it out yet?
If not, leave the plastic on it while mounting and if it is not what you want then you can return it.  If all is good then you can uninstall, take off the plastic and re-install.

If you already installed and tested, how did you like it?
Oh, and how bout a pic or 2?
Sparky

Tannehill Kid

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »

Tannehill Kid: How tall are you and what is your inseam measurement? I have the Klock Werks now which is 7". It is the perfect height but it has a pretty steep rake on it. Looks like the 7" Freedom may have a higher profile which would not be good. Trying to beat Murphy's Law by choosing between the 6" or 7"? I am 5'10" + with a 31 " inseam.
Sorry about being so long responding to your question.  Have been really busy.  I'm 5'10 with a 30 inseam.  Hope this helps.  Did some riding this past week end and took Freedom shield off and put the Harley accessory recurved shield back on.  The freedom shield is heavier and all but just did not work for me.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 20 queries.