Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thoughts on New Tires  (Read 2905 times)

Johnny

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Thoughts on New Tires
« on: August 12, 2004, 03:10:48 AM »

Soon it will be time to replace the worn tires on the SEEG.   Does anyone have any thoughts or reccommendations on brand of tires (am not going to go with Dunlops).  Has anyone replaced there tires with another brand - would appreciate comments good or bad??  Also, what size replacement have you gone with in the rear, has anyone put on a slightly larger tire??  Thanks

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
Re: Thoughts on New Tires
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 10:06:32 AM »

I'm getting ready to order new tires myself and will not be going with the Dunlops either. One of the local bike shops (not a HD Dealer) recommended the Continental Milestone as a good replacement, so I am going to try them.
[/b][/size][/u]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

FastFreddie

• 08 Ultra, 00 FLSTC, XR1000, 48E,01 Deuce
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 10:31:16 AM »

Haven't gotten my SEEG yet, but on tires for my Heritage Softail i wore out two Dunlops' then changed to Metzler's slightly wider at 140, in only lasted about the same as Dunlop but seemed to handle better. I now have a Avon Venom 140 and so far so good. I would recommend either Avon of Metzler ME088.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 11:46:21 AM »

On the touring bikes (two Ultra Classics prior to this SEEG) I've had better success with the Dunlops than the Metzler ME 88.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 11:48:54 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
  • Always Lookin fer sumtin but dunno what!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 08:18:17 PM »

YO All,  When I was in Milwaukee for the 100th I talked quite a bit with one of the factory guys about these new long life tires.  These are only on the rear by the way.  The Dunlops were redesigned with a stiffer sidewall to cure flexing since the clearance between the fender and belt was very small.  The most important thing was the compound was the same but the depth of the tread was much deeper.  It was suggested that 20% more tread life could be expected.  If you test the tread depth yourself, check a new rear against an new front.  This will show you how much more tread depth there really is on the new tires.  I too had 5,000 miles on the original rear and it had much tread life left.  Mine was a bit more than half worn compared to the original depth.  I do tend to ride heavy as in 2 up with a bunch of stuff in the bags and pak.  I would think that 10-12k is not unreachable with the new tires where in the past I only would get about  7-8k.  Keep in mind when you put on those other brand long life tires......the compound is very hard (so it does not wear out) and you give up some traction especially in wet conditions.  I am not willling to chance that.  Just my Opinion.   Keep the comments commin!
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

wesuggs

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 10:26:40 PM »

i've had avon venoms on my fatboy and my RKC, and like them just fine.  Don't care for the handleing of the dunlops.  when i got my SEEG in January i had them put the metzler me880 's on the bike and i like them for crusing and curves.  Seem to be a little less aggressive in the turns then the avons.  About 5k on the tires and the treads looks fine.  Much better then the dunlops.

Johnny

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 01:01:56 AM »

Thanks for the reply's, while I still have some life left on the dunlops (have slightly more than 7,000 miles) I have been very disapointed in the traction provided by these tires.  Previously have run bridgestones and avons which seem to be much more agressive in corners and feel better in wet conditions.  Since getting the SEEG I have been surprised how easy it is to lock the rear tire when agressively braking - I believe a softer compund tire would be safer which I would be willing to give up tread life for.

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 09:46:08 AM »

103Eagle I hope your not suggesting the "Dunlops" are a better rain/wet tire than some of the alternatives out their!!! [smiley=behead.gif] These tires SUCK[smiley=furious3.gif] in the rain and that is putting it mildly, now I am basing that on the ballpark 1000 miles in the rain I do annually. The only tire I remember ever having a worse time of were "GOODYEARS" [smiley=vrolijk27.gif](Harley used those in the 70's and early 80's) I did hear the same thing in regards to the stiffer sidewall on these "Harley Dunlops" but what I was told was that the reason for the stiffer sidewall was that you could get a flat and PROBABLY still ride on it (if you could believe that, I haven't tested it personally) and if in fact their is some truth to this, I am sure you are giving up some ride quaility.  [smiley=wall.gif] [smiley=stars.gif] [smiley=sweatdrop.gif] [smiley=dizzy2.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

starvin

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 10:36:28 AM »

Just got back from sturgis and I now have 7100 on the rear tire, it won't make it to 10,000 which is no better than my '02 classic.  Thats riding 2 up 90% of the time and loaded down. Tire looked real good before we left but the 2000 miles at 90mph really wore down the tread.

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
  • Always Lookin fer sumtin but dunno what!
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2004, 03:42:56 PM »

Yo Offender,
    Maybe I should have said it differently.  First off NO I am not suggesting that other tires are worse in the rain than the dunlops.  GOSH NO!  he he!  Heck I had some of those good ol' GOODYEARS on an 52 Panhead years ago.  All I was trying to say was that most often when you goto a harder compound tire you gain tread life but in most cases sacrifice some traction capability compared to the softer compounds.  I for one have rode too much in the rain as well but have not used anything other than dunlops in the last 5 years.  So I am all ears for suggestions on a replacement that offers decent tread life and good traction especially when wet.  
Thanks Dude!  Ride Safe!
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

FastFreddie

• 08 Ultra, 00 FLSTC, XR1000, 48E,01 Deuce
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2004, 06:30:58 PM »

Don't forget Dunlop is now owned by Goodyear!!!!!

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2004, 08:28:22 AM »

Just got back from Sturgis have 11,986 miles on the bike the rear tire looks like it has a few miles left on it.  That is the most I have ever gotten on a dunlop will have front and rear Metzler install at end of the month they are great tires!!
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 10:13:11 AM »

had  flat tire 3 miles from home(finish nail) drove home 25-30mph   not to bad of a ride tire didn,t come off rim or get thrashed. pluged it when i got home still holding air this morning, i most always have repair kit with me plus co2 not with me last night- i,ll stick with stock tires for there rideabilty  when flat, i,ve had flats on avalon,metslers years ago trying to drive on thoses tires when flat was spooky and tires were ruined in short order-ak
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2004, 12:41:51 PM »

And I'll volunteer up for AK that his home sits on the side of the mountain (overlooking the valley below) with some steep grades and several twisties.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 12:42:36 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2004, 08:31:39 AM »

Yes JC ABS is on a HD,  police models only so I'm told.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 20 queries.