Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: clunking in the transmision when I let off the gas  (Read 10583 times)

KenK

clunking in the transmision when I let off the gas
« on: June 03, 2013, 08:30:39 AM »

This is a newbie question ...I got 500 miles on the bike and yesterday during a long ride I noticed in 6th gear if I let off the throttle I would hear a noticeable clunk...then when I hit the throttle I would also hear a noticeable clunk..
Is this normal? Sorry if this has been ask before.....

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: clunking in the transmision when I let off the gas
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 08:49:39 AM »

Possibly your compensator engaging and disengaging...   Or could be your primary chain requires adjustment.  What RPM are you at when this occurs?

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

KenK

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 08:55:15 AM »

I am at 60 mph and about 2200 rpm and its a 2013 CVO Ultra

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 09:01:53 AM »

If you were talking about first gear I'd say it's probably normal, but not in sixth gear.  There are several possibillities, from a loose primary chain to something not right in the rear wheel sprocket isolator or even the new for 2013 assist and slip clutch, to name a few.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

KenK

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 07:20:49 AM »

Thanks for the reply's...I guess the safe thing to do is bring it in for the dealer to look at. I wonder if the drive -train is fail safe? meaning if something tears up will the back wheel keep rolling -hope to never find out the hard way...LOL
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 07:34:03 AM by KenK »

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 09:36:10 AM »

Could be as simple as the drive belt not being tight enough too.

Rappley2000

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 06:59:29 PM »

I'm noticing a similar noise on my 2013 CVO Road King w/1500 miles. Anytime I'm travelling at any speed and roll off the throttle completely then roll back on. Noticed it first in 6th gear but I can hear it just about every time I go completely off then back on the throttle. Haven't made it to the dealer yet to have it checked out. Figure they will just tell me they all do that like when I asked about the tapping noise when idling.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 07:11:47 PM »

I'm noticing a similar noise on my 2013 CVO Road King w/1500 miles. Anytime I'm travelling at any speed and roll off the throttle completely then roll back on. Noticed it first in 6th gear but I can hear it just about every time I go completely off then back on the throttle. Haven't made it to the dealer yet to have it checked out. Figure they will just tell me they all do that like when I asked about the tapping noise when idling.

A great way to respond to a dealership's "they all do that" comment is to tell them to roll out several similar bikes and show you "they ALL do that".  Anyone can spout BS, make them prove it.

I don't have any personal experience with the new A&S clutch, so I don't know if that could have something to do with the clunk when rolling off and then back on the throttle.  The only Big Twins that have this feature so far are the CVO's, so you would have to compare to another 2013 CVO Touring model.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

KenK

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 08:29:39 AM »

Ok ...after further investigation -mine also makes the noise in all gears (did not catch it at first). The higher the gear the louder the noise. Also the noise is twice as loud with a passenger on back.........

panz

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED ...GOLDEN GIRL
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO ULTRA Traded
    • CVO3: 2009 Ultra Classic Traded
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 09:40:56 AM »

I too experience the same noise in all gears. My 13 se ultra has 1500 miles on it. I just changes fluids in all three holes...for the first time ever I used redline shock proof heavy duty in the trans...the noise that i experienced earlier , sounds like the same as you do, is now gone for the most part. I'll see how long the silence lasts as i plan on a trip next week along the Ohio river.
"LIFE IS SHORT...ENJOY IT!"

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 12:22:04 PM »

Ah,welcome to the 110! Had my compensator replaced and it stopped for about a few hundred miles. When I finally got the dealer to "look" at it the compensator looked in perfect condition. They replaced it anyway.

Basically the SE compensator design is junk. It think they have so much slop in them to project their weak crank.

Until I can find a good compensator I'm just living with it. I'm thinking of belt drives.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »

Every one I've owned has done that.....I put 30k-40k on them before I trade and never had a problem. Nature of the beast.
 :nixweiss:
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

KenK

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 01:55:51 PM »

Well... yesterday I had the service manager ride my bike and guess what he said??...........................sounds normal to me! When I asked him about the new style clutch on the 13 CVO's he said oh yea -I am sure it's not that -I am not sure he knew about the new style clutch-one thing is certain they hate these forums LOL

I am close to my first service and I am going to try redline shock proof in the transmission -see what happens....
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:31:17 PM by KenK »

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 04:26:59 PM »

Ken, I just got a '13 Ultra, and I noticed the clunk in 6th gear, too.  It's not a big clunk, but it is noticeable.  I was going to wait and see what happens when I put in some Redline w/ shock proof.  It helped quite a bit with the tranny noises in my '12, but I don't think it had the 6th gear clunk like the '13 has.

I have a BDL compensator that I'm going to try out on the Ultra, and an M6 primary chain tensioner.  Probably will install them when I do the first primary oil change.  I really doubt the stealership will admit that the clunking is anything but normal.

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 20 queries.