Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Dyno Results - Opinions?  (Read 1450 times)

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
Dyno Results - Opinions?
« on: June 11, 2013, 04:48:49 PM »

Guys,

The attached file contains the results of the dyno with the super tuner, Fullsac X-pipe, and stock baffles.  I'm embarrassed to say that it means nothing to me, and was hoping that someone more knowledgeable can tell me if these are respectable numbers.

Thanks!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Dyno Results - Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 04:54:09 PM »

Here's your file reposted as a JPG so it'll display.  Some will likely good naturedly rag a bit that the numbers are lower than might be expected.  But a dyno is a comparative tool so we honestly can't say much about the numbers when just seeing one run/data point.  The curve, however, is suggestive.  Nice flat torque curve from 2500 to 4500.  And that's the area we run.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 05:08:31 PM »

Twolanerider, that's OK.  I'm not posting to flaunt good numbers, but to find out if the bike is properly tuned.  The dyno was part of the my total purchase package on the bike, which also included the HD Super Tuner and installation of the X-Pipe.  I didn't notice a huge difference before and after, so I assume that I can chalk it up to a conservative dealership tune job.  Thanks for the feedback.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 05:20:29 PM »

Numbers are close to the avg.  but some was left on the table in the torque area.   The motor is too lean for Wide Open pulls you don't want 14.0 to 1 the motor should have been done around 13.0 - 12.8 to 1 A/F ratio like the very last inch of the dyno there not on the dashed lines.

Over doesn't look bad is in the hunt, but I would take it back and be sure they haven't left you to lean not only wide open but the rest of the way too.    They should be able to show you the step runs for each percentage to prove where the bike was tuned at.

I mean a dynosheet or run files (if dynojet dyno)  should be available for 5%-30% throttle where they did their step testing to tune your bike.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 05:24:10 PM »

...but I would take it back and be sure they haven't left you to lean not only wide open but the rest of the way too.    They should be able to show you the step runs for each percentage to prove where the bike was tuned at.
Unfortunately, shortly after the work was done, I moved from PA to Georgia, so taking it back to the dealer is not an option.  I may have to save up for another tuning down here.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 05:32:01 PM »

What product / technology was the bike tuned with Woode?

TTS
SESPT
Power Vision
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 05:37:01 PM »

Harley part #32109-08C
Description: Kid-EFI Super Tuner, Screamin Eagle
Unit is orange & says Super Tuner Pro.

I assume that this is what you are asking for.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 05:53:47 PM »

Based on your comment of saving up a bit before having it checked out, if it were mine I might consider doing the following:   

Depending on how interested/concerned you are you could always run your own v-tune on the SESPT (Your tuning device) to see how much change comes about (peace of mind)
validate your tune that is in the bike so to speak.  Its not perfect, but might give you some semblance of how good it was tuned by the tuner in PA.

Another thing could do would be to add say 3-5 percent to your 90/100 column to be sure you have enough fuel at the very top.   I am just not a fan of running Wide open at 14 to 1.   Things can get hot and melt, so I steer away from running on the edge.  I would rather lose 2 mpg and know its not to lean.

This is not doom and gloom, but based on the sheet provided I would be a little concerned if it were mine cause I do open the bike up on occassion.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 06:17:18 PM »

Unbalanced,

I wouldn't mind trying that, but the super tuner did not come with software - just the orange device.  Since the temps in GA are going to be much higher than in PA, I would like to have it running as cool as possible, so I'll do whatever is necessary to make it right.  BTW, retirement has its benefits, but an endless supply of $$ to maintain my CVO ain't one of them!  I am finally going to have to start prioritizing my expenses!

Buckeye_Tuning

• Mister Dick
  • Banned
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 07:55:49 PM »

Woode

I agree with Harry on everything he has said.  You can buy the software and the cables for like $100 from a dealer.

I would NOT give two hoots about the numbers, too many variables to TRULY compare from one dyno to the next.  Torque curve looks pretty decent and right on for a good Stage 1.

I, too, am looking at that fuel line and not liking that much.

Once you get things all squared away, we can direct you over to a different site, HDF, and those guys could help you learn how to richen the bike up a bit for the WOT portion.
Never Ever Forget; Never Ever Forgive

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 08:09:16 PM »

The Air/Fuel ratio looks a bit lean.

As everyone mentioned, your numbers are in the ball park, maybe a bit low on the torque.  Every bike is different, so don't worry.

Should you get it retuned?  I wouldn't, unless it's backfiring or running poorly.  Are you satisfied with the way it runs now?  Is it worth it to you to pay ~$400 to get better numbers on a piece of paper?  Because even if you get it perfectly tuned, you may not be able to feel any seat-of-the-pants difference.  Any extra cooling from enriching the ARF would be insignificant, IMO.  If you're really concerned about heat, get an oil cooler and/or fan, like the Ward's Parts Werks fan.

Just my 2 cents.  

Good Luck,

Dan

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 08:12:56 PM by lilcoot »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 10:01:16 PM »

Note it's an STD chart, so SAE, the numbers would be a few lower.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 01:58:31 AM »

Woode

I agree with Harry on everything he has said.  You can buy the software and the cables for like $100 from a dealer.

I would NOT give two hoots about the numbers, too many variables to TRULY compare from one dyno to the next.  Torque curve looks pretty decent and right on for a good Stage 1.

I, too, am looking at that fuel line and not liking that much.

Once you get things all squared away, we can direct you over to a different site, HDF, and those guys could help you learn how to richen the bike up a bit for the WOT portion.
It sounds like it may be worth the cost for cables and software to be able to have some control.  I had TTS on my last CVO, and I loaded it up a few times to change maps, so I suppose it would be similar.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 02:06:41 AM »

Should you get it retuned?  I wouldn't, unless it's backfiring or running poorly.  Are you satisfied with the way it runs now?  

It does backfire occasionally, although it does not seem to be excessive.  Overall, performance is not terrible, but not noticeably different from stock.  Gas mileage is about 40mpg - primarily in the N. Georgia mountains, compared to about 33mpg on my CUSE4 in the Pittsburgh area.  Maybe the last bike had richer AFR?

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 02:11:56 AM »

Note it's an STD chart, so SAE, the numbers would be a few lower.

My first reaction was "Huh?", so I dug around and I see what you mean.  I also noticed that the run conditions included a temperature of 44 degrees.  The dealer told me that the cold Winter weather would negatively affect the process, so they were going to preheat the dyno room.  Apparently, they did not do that, so how much of an impact would this have had?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 20 queries.