Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PN# and Recommendations for New Trans Case? '06 SEUC  (Read 940 times)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
PN# and Recommendations for New Trans Case? '06 SEUC
« on: June 18, 2013, 02:23:28 PM »

Well, the shoody install of my Baker DD6 at the local stealer is coming back to haunt me.  Turns out the leak out of the shifter shaft isn't going to be solved by just a new seal. There's a good .030" of slop up and down, so either the bushing was worn to begin with, or something, but after 10,000 miles this shouldn't be a problem.  The seal washer gouged into the case shoulders so the repair guy is recommending a new case.

Before I lay down the ~$700, are there any options?  I suggested boring this area out and sleeving it, but he said this would cost more than just getting the new case.

The dealer said the PN was AM34765-02A and there is a cross to a 43-0081-VT, but both suggest year ranges through 2005 only?  I'm wondering if the dealer got this wrong?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: PN# and Recommendations for New Trans Case? '06 SEUC
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 03:18:19 PM »

.030" was that of a micro meter? that's a lot of play. With that much play may be you should check that the shifter shaft is not also contributing to the number. As for the seal do you mean the shaft pushed the metal that the seal rubber is molded on to into the bosh of the seal retainer? If that's the case in most seal retaining bosh there is room to set a new seal in a .001/.002" of from the old one. This is so you can relocate the seal off the old point of were the seal was originally seatting on the shaft. Put a little blue lock tight around the seal and tap in. Make a note/ photo as to were the old seal is seated be for removing it. For one thing I can't see having to replace the casing do to a seal bosh. I've in the past used liquid metal to build up gouges. Just a thought.
Sorry can't help on the PN.  
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:53:33 PM by longlast »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 03:28:47 PM »

According to the parts listing for a 2006 CUSE the trans case is part number 34765-02A (silver).  I assume that's all you want, and not all the other stuff like the pan.  There is liable to be an extra lead time required if it has to be ordered versus just happening to have one in dealer stock somewhere, so take that into account.  Kutter indicates 10 days lead time on top of regular shipping for instance.

I've never had a case repaired, but it just seems strange that your guy couldn't offer up a solution short of a new $679 case.  Hopefully some of the guys around here can give you some alternatives.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 10:15:13 PM »

The bushing can be replaced, the seal washer may have damaged the outer face of the case but this in no way affects the shift shaft seal. Replace the bushing and seal, inspect and replace if needed the shift shaft and be done with it.

Do you have any pictures of the damaged area?

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 01:20:08 AM »

I didn't think to take pictures, but I did go and look at it tonight.  The bushing was removed, along with the shifter shaft with prong, and something definitely wasn't right with those two. Either the bushing's ID was too big (most likely), or the shaft was too small, but there was a lot of play. The face of the case where the washer sat had about a .005" ring gooved into it. On the other side, you can see where the prong was rubbing on the drum. I'm sending the bushing, shifter shaft and drum to Baker to inspect. They are going to send back a matched pair. I think we're going to be able to shim the washer, or just machine one approx .005" wider to make sure the depth is correct and the prong to drum spec is cnetered properly. At this point, after talking with the Baker folks, I think we're not going to need to change the case, thank god.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 20 queries.