Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: There goes this summer.  (Read 6393 times)

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
There goes this summer.
« on: July 04, 2013, 05:05:34 AM »

Well, shyte.  :-\

I never thought it would happen to me, but last week I was hit by a car while riding.  It was a relatively a small bump, and I'm grateful that it wasn't worse, but my summer riding has come to an end for the year.  I wasn't hurt badly (road rash, bumps and bruises, a broken foot, and sore old man muscles), but the bike will be out 6-8 weeks.  As some here know, I just traded my SG for a brand spanking new Ultra;  it didn't even have its plate yet!

Basically, the cars ahead of me stopped, I stopped, and the car of distracted teenagers behind me didn't stop.  The driver was out celebrating his 18th Bday in his mom's UN-insured car with his buddies.

This being my first true car vs motorcycle mva, I made a couple observations:

-I'm even more vain and superficial than I thought.  The first thing I did was check for scratches/rash on the fairing, front fender, and saddlebags.  Praise Buddha, Allah, and Jesus!  The only damage, besides that from the impact, was to the highway bars and the saddle bag bars!

-Even though I've never taken his Ride like a Pro course, I've heard IronHorse's constant nag, nag, nagging ( ;) Thanks, Mark) about riding strategies and always looking for possible escape routes.  It  probably saved me from more serious injury.  The split second I stopped, I thought of the possibility that the car behind me may not stop in time, and I immediately tried to pull to the left side of the car ahead of me (we were in a single construction lane).  I was struck on the left saddle bag and rear fender just before pulling off the lane to the left shoulder.  After knocking me out of the way, the car finally stopped when it plowed into the car that had been ahead of me.  Thanks again, Mark.  :2vrolijk_21:  Things could have been so much worse for me.  :nervous:

-It's amazing how hard it is to control a 900lb blob of metal when its locomotive force comes from an external source delivered at an odd angle.  I flopped around like a boned fish trying to keep the bike from going down. 

-I have Super Man-like strength when I'm in shock.  The bike's saddle bag guard came to rest on my left foot, and I pushed that 900lbs off me like it was a throw pillow.  Then I picked up the bike off the asphalt like it was a 250lb dirt bike.  Thank you, adrenaline.

-Adrenaline is an awesome analgesic.  I felt nothing for at least an hour. 

-Asphalt is amazingly efficient at taking skin off an unprotected human limb.  Can't imagine how much skin one could lose in a high speed crash.

-Times like this show us how important the "Harley Brotherhood" is.  No less that four guys with HD shirts stopped to offer help and volunteer to be witnesses when the police arrived.  I think the kids in the car were intimidated by this flash biker gang that formed so quickly.

-This may have been a message from the great beyond telling me that I should have gone to the Santa Fe GTG.   :orange: :mango:  :pepper:

Everyone here, have a happy and safe 4th of July, ride safe and smart.  And watch out for those little uninsured bastards driving their mommies' cars.

Dan

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
Re: There goes this summer.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 06:37:08 AM »

Sorry to hear, glad no more damage to you or the bike. Hope everything heals and is repaired to better than before.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 07:23:53 AM »

Bikes, fenders and parts can always be replaced.  So glad your aren't hurt too bad.  Unfortunate when things like this happen.  Praying for a speedy recovery for you. You are so right when you say it could always be worse.   :(

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 08:25:55 AM »

Glad you got out without serious injury, although I'm sure pain has no boundaries. How strict are the Ca laws for no insurance? Sort of reminds me of gun control, only the law abiding people obey the law!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 08:31:02 AM »

Sorry to hear of your accident! Glad it wasn't more serious! Heal quickly and get back on the horse.

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 08:59:28 AM »

Bummer and Happiness at the same time Dan, bummed this happened, happy your well enough to tell us. Heal up and we will ride again when it gets a little cooler.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 09:29:25 AM »

Sorry to hear about your accident, got hit in my pick 3 years ago same situation only my guy was 16 and searching on the floor for a dropped CD.  Get well soon.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 09:41:58 AM »

Hate to read this Dan.  Great that you're ok and the bike isn't too bad off but, damn, a bunch of uninsured kids.  That's gonna suck to eventually get sorted out. 

Feel better soon man.  Really glad you're only in mid-hobble.  Take your meds and enjoy the holiday.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 09:57:56 AM »

Darn....sorry to read of your accident.  Glad your injuries (you and your bike) are relatively minor...  Feel better and heal quickly!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 10:16:24 AM »

so sorry to read of your accident, but so glad to read of your immediate evasive action that obviously saved you from much worse damage.  Heal quickly and enjoy rides in your future.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

CircleRacer

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 11:10:47 AM »

Sorry to hear about your crash Glad you were not hurt more but sorry you were hurt at all!!!

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 12:23:52 PM »

So sorry to read about your accident, and that you were injured. Hope you heal up quickly, and your insurance makes the bike good as new.

Very good advice from Ironhorse about leaving yourself an out!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

King2013

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 01:08:47 PM »

sorry to hear of your accident. unfortunately i know all to well how you feel. hope you have a speedy recovery.

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 05:34:41 PM »

Sure glad your injuries were not more severe.  Hope you recover quickly.

JMHO, but people with no insurance should have the vehicle confiscated.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 07:21:41 PM »

Dan, reading your story was like a flashback for me when I was rear ended.  Heal quickly and I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.