Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2004 Cutting out, running rough  (Read 6884 times)

Steppr

2004 Cutting out, running rough
« on: July 17, 2013, 11:42:28 PM »

Been running rough this season. Cutting out mid intersections when rolling throttle up shifting gears. Changed throttle position sensor last week. Stopped the cutting out issue but still running rough at slow rpm / speed. Will try new plugs next couple days, then perhaps check in tank fuel lines??????
All suggestions appreciated. (28k miles). I know. Have two other bikes that go through the tires.
Steppr

kennmrl

• This is the place

• CVO1: 05 seeg
    • CVO2: 01 Iron horse tejas
    • CVO3: 09 ultra classic
Re: 2004 Cutting out, running rough
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 07:49:20 PM »

Sounds to me that if the speed sensor fixed your cutting out problem then it probably has fouled plugs from doing so, good luck, hope that gets you fixed!

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 02:07:17 AM »

As said, change the plugs now. It probably will take care of the problem.
D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq

Steppr

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 09:43:30 AM »

Update - Changed plugs from NGK Iridiums to Harleys Champions - runs like she used to.
Called dealer that changed the sensor to let him know issue solved - curious why he didnt suggest it - will give him your guys numbers.

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 01:34:08 PM »

Glad that fixed it. Just remember the simple stuff. It is still a mechanical machine under the electronics.
 Ride and enjoy.
D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq

Steppr

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 07:19:20 PM »

Apologies for not posting earlier. Thought I had, but unsure so checked today.
The issue did not clear up with simply changing plugs although it did help for a short time. The problem became worse with intermittent backfire, cutting out etc. On the final occasion I avoided shutting it down, rocking the throttle out of frustration I guess, and it eventually threw a code which turned out to be "faulty engine head temperature sensor". Forty bucks and 5 minutes and it run better than had for some time. Googled this fault and came up with numerous others experiencing the same problems, most without codes. Turned out one gent with same issues was mapping his rpm and head temp when out of the blue the sensor temp peaked for a bit then returned to normal When it did it told the ECM to change the fuel mixture resulting in conditions we all were having. Apparently it did not throw a fault as the sensor believed it was still working condition or whatever. Thanks to those that responded initially, I hope that the delay with this final post did not cause others similar grief unnecessarily. Stepper.

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 20 queries.