Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 88" to 95" conversion -- invitation to vendors and others for build ideas  (Read 9261 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

There was a recent thread that turned left from its original intent just a bit and described modern versions of 88" to 95/98" upgrades.  I'd not done one in years and found that an interesting thread.  At the time it was all conjecture.  But now get to have some fun.  So hoping to rerun the topic with more specificity. 

A local buddy is resurrecting an Electra Glide Standard that's been resting for awhile.  02 model so good bearing and bottom end.  Will end up being his son's bike when he comes home from the sandbox in a couple months so they can ride together. 

Lots of cam and head work options since the last 88 to 95 I did many years ago.  Being too lazy to do all the homework from all the options want to see what current packages are offered by our vendors or what known and run options the member brethren actually have experience with.

The vendors that build and sell parts are welcome and encouraged to pitch their wares and services.  I've got stipulations though.  Pitch your ideas; to me.  Any vendor that cross talks to another to build his up or belittle the other will not get any money from this build.  I'm not the brightest bulb in the box but I can separate the wheat from the chaff when considering the options presented on my own.  Someone definitely will get paid here.  But it won't be anyone who can't make their own pitch and let it stand on its own.

Here are the order guidelines to be pitched around:

Exhaust:  The bike will have Fatcats.  Not bought as part of this build.  Already acquired.

Air cleaner: Bike already has good free flowing air cleaner.

Compression:  Nothing that requires compression releases.  High torque starter is a consideration.  But no compression releases.

Cams: Gear Drive

Head Work: He's willing to pay for head work.  Just not break the bank on the effort for the gains that will come from it.

Use: Bagger.  Ridden like a bagger.  Two up half the time.  2500-4500.  It needs to pull down low but no care at all is given to what top end numbers might be.

Throttle body: He'd buy or rework as might be suggested.  But only if the cost benefit is really worthwhile.  A very small extra gain within the operating area for a few hundred bucks won't be worth it.  Not looking for throttle body that would require purchasing a new air cleaner.

Citation of work:  dyno sheet showing the curve for the package you're suggesting will earn stronger consideration when purchase time comes

Tuner: The bike has a Thundermax installed.  Extra credit at purchase time for any package suggested which can be supplied with a T-Max map that matches it well.

Thanks to all willing to pitch their wares.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member

I love this post!!!!!!!!!!

Straight talk rules!
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member

This is a dyno of a typical Street Pro head on a 97" TC at 9.8:1 using a TW37. A 95" with cast pistons would be right there, very close and would be my long range endurance choice plus save a few bucks, stock HD pistons with modified valve reliefs.
Anyone can call me, if they are serious.
Thanks for the opportunity
Don
253-691-5893

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

95 inch
basic CNC head
compression 10.1 no comp released needed
S&S 570 easy start cam. Save your money on a bigger starter ;)
Run the t max

Same set up set compression at 9.8

andrews 37 cam.

Have t max maps for both set ups with the fat cat.. Basic kit both would break the 100/100 mark for the peak numbers .. curve on both is very broad. I have been having a few issues with the old computer so I will give a try to get these sheets to post . ( not having luck with that right now...)

Funny post .. to the point  back to the point the very basic kits are all going to be pretty close. Going to a 96/97/98 CI in set over the 95 will gain you a broader tq line and a few more across the board, cost is no higher through us.. Sorry not into posting prices as I find it in poor taste.. If that drops me out   I am ok with that as well...   Good luck with the build. Hope it works out.   :xyxthumbs:

No price info not a problem at all.  Getting the details out here is much appreciated.  Glad to work out the price points via PM.  Just getting comparisons of the details right now for the buddy I'll be doing the work for.

Have you got cylinder and head cores to prep first and get his cores back later to save a little time on our end?  Or need the cores first?  See no suggestion of doing anything with the stock TB so assuming that stays the same?  I know it's got the white band injectors. 

Whenever you're able to toss up a dyno sheet representing the suggested build that'd be great.  I know he likes to see them.  Alternatively if the computer glitches are more of a pain than is worth dealing with right now just let us know what you the sheet would show for tq and hp from 2500 to 4500.  I've finally convinced him he never rides past 4500 so the numbers beyond that only help with the full on robot chubby; but not the bike ride.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

This is a dyno of a typical Street Pro head on a 97" TC at 9.8:1 using a TW37. A 95" with cast pistons would be right there, very close and would be my long range endurance choice plus save a few bucks, stock HD pistons with modified valve reliefs.
Anyone can call me, if they are serious.
Thanks for the opportunity
Don
253-691-5893

Thanks Don.  I'll collect all the info that comes in for the next week or so.  Will then set down with the buddy over beers one evening and get it sorted. 

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

have to agree with the S&S .570GEZ,but ide go 98" with some 1.900 headwork

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member

Jim Kennedy, tuned a 98"/.570's/our heads to 108/115 some time ago.
Report was posted on HTT.
Peak torque was all in by 3500.
Andrews 26's, 37's, Wood 6, are all good grinds, for the lower lift set-ups.
Dan Thayer has tuned our 37/98" combo to 108/111 at 10.0 cr.
26's at 9.6 cr, and some mild headwork can be VERY powerful, for a touring set-up, and on the flip side a Wood 8 can/does tap on the 120 hp door, with a good set of heads.
Scott

TorqueInc

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. Mark Twain
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

We have cylinder kits and head kits that are ready to go for the most part.. That is right now I have a 97 inch kit ready price wise its very close to a cast 95 inch kit, heads are stripped and ready for CNC. Turn around from order date is within 3-4 days .. its getting a bit longer as we are running WOT everyday right now. But that is a great thing.  Power wise I see 100 Tq by 2500 and it will stay above that until 5000-5300 rpm. Curve is very broad. The 37 cam is a very nice item as well the 570 is another go to cam that will lay down the power all day every day.

This one will load and its its not 100% what you are looking for but its an idea of the power curve.

Not sure if that is what the OP wants but those curves are  :2vrolijk_21:
2011 SG Sedona Orange 105" 125/123

www.jwperf.com

prodrag1320

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

heres a couple good,proven builds we do here:
touring: 95",S&S .551 or .583 cam set. street port (touring version)
comp. set @ 9.8-1

a good middle of the road build,98" (or 95") S&S .570 cams,1.900/1.615 headwork (either street port or stage II)
comp. set @ 9.8-1 to 10.0-1

then alittle more hotrod, 98" (or 95")S&S .585 cams,stage II or III headwork
comp. set at 10.5-1

you can do more (or less) but we`ve found customers to be VERY happy with these.easy to tune,very dependable & streetable builds

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Just got back from breakfast with the guy who owns the bike.  Found out a bit more.

He's just not interested in a "hot rod" build of any kind.  It's a bagger that will be two up and might pull a trailer occasionally.  He wants it quick not fast.  In other words pull hard early and lasts through the pass-a-truck RPM range.  So 2500-4500 like originally suggested.  Wants it quick to respond in that range but beyond that he just doesn't care (he used to, but he's listened to me too much over the years).

There is likely one change now.  He's compared prices between using the SE cam plate kit to use the newer style tensioners versus dumping the tensioners altogether and going gear drive.  He's going to save some coin and use the newer style tensioners rather than go gear drive. 

All this being so I'm going to put up a line-item sheet here next.  Will ask that anyone wanting to pitch a build please just cut and paste it into a PM so the buddy can make the best possible apples-to-apples comparison.  Here goes:

Cylinder/Piston kit...(basic description please).$__________________

Cams __(part # here)_.................................$__________________

Head work (basic description please)..............$__________________

Throttle body work; yes or no?  If so cost and will it require different air cleaner?

Do you have a Thundermax map that matches this build to supply with the parts?

Any gasket kits not supplied?

I've got a set of adjustables, roller rockers and lifters here to throw in.  I think he's getting the SE cam plate/oil pump kit at Lake Shore.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG

I had a 2000 RKC that just had the factory 95" kit with the Screaming Eagle heads that made compression 10-1 and chose the 203 cams and rode 2-up and pulled a tent trailer hills and all very good. The other choice was 211 cam which is better on the top end but didn't pull quite as good as the 203 when it came to the trailer. I'm sure there are better combos out there this was just my experience. And I never had it tuned just used Dobeck fuel fattener. Prolly would have been better tuned.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member

That Andrews 26/9.6 cr/98"/our Stage I Head is darn near spot-on for that trailer-pulling set-up.
Straightforward approach that produces.
A lot of snap all the way out to about 4500, pipe dependant, naturally.
Once again, Dan Thayer pulled one recently in 4th(why, I do not know)94 hp/108 ftlbs.
That entire combo, minus pushrods is EXTREMELY reasonably priced.
Scott

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Have him get the 95 kit there as well use stock heads the 204 SE cam and you have your basic kit no reason that would not be a very solid  kit.  Ported heads are not going to be a huge help in the low rpm range anyways. Te dollar to small gain does not sound like what he wants.  We have done tons of big bore kits with stock heads that made great low and mid range power. Lakeshore can be where he buys all of it.  Good luck hope it works out.

Easy but otherwise solid options are always appreciated.  Thanks.  In a bit of price irony I'm not sure what he won't do though.  It seems he's intent on spending some of; just not entire bank :huepfenlol2: .

prodrag1320

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member

Just got back from breakfast with the guy who owns the bike.  Found out a bit more.

He's just not interested in a "hot rod" build of any kind.  It's a bagger that will be two up and might pull a trailer occasionally.  He wants it quick not fast.  In other words pull hard early and lasts through the pass-a-truck RPM range.  So 2500-4500 like originally suggested.  Wants it quick to respond in that range but beyond that he just doesn't care (he used to, but he's listened to me too much over the years).

There is likely one change now.  He's compared prices between using the SE cam plate kit to use the newer style tensioners versus dumping the tensioners altogether and going gear drive.  He's going to save some coin and use the newer style tensioners rather than go gear drive.  

All this being so I'm going to put up a line-item sheet here next.  Will ask that anyone wanting to pitch a build please just cut and paste it into a PM so the buddy can make the best possible apples-to-apples comparison.  Here goes:

Cylinder/Piston kit...(basic description please).$__________________

Cams __(part # here)_.................................$__________________

Head work (basic description please)..............$__________________

Throttle body work; yes or no?  If so cost and will it require different air cleaner?

Do you have a Thundermax map that matches this build to supply with the parts?

Any gasket kits not supplied?

I've got a set of adjustables, roller rockers and lifters here to throw in.  I think he's getting the SE cam plate/oil pump kit at Lake Shore.

cyl/piston kit 495.00 (boring his cyl.,inc WISECO 98",9.7-1 piston kit & cometic .030 gaskets)
S&S .551 or .583 cams 399.00
VTR touring SERDI street port headwork 399.00
easy 100+/110+ and with stock like dependability
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:22:26 PM by prodrag1320 »

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member

Strickly Wicked Cycles, Salinas, CA, tuned off a 98"/S&S .583(he had)/ 9.4 cr/our heads/42 Mik/RB pipe to 95 hp/120 ftlbs. this past winter.
Doc's Performace Tuning has expertly tuned our 37/98" in the past. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
Dyno report also located on HTT.
Scott
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 25 queries.