Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil catcher results improvement  (Read 1783 times)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Oil catcher results improvement
« on: July 22, 2013, 03:43:47 PM »

Last time I started a thread about this oil catcher from Harley (orange plastic unit with black rubber drain hose).  I said the final score was catcher 100...me 0.  I have since updated the score.  As of yesterday the score was catcher 25.....me 75.  When I started the original thread I had only used the unit once.  But that was enough.  The heat from the oil does indeed make it almost lose its shape and become useless.  I pulled it back out of the garbage and gave it another go.  Have used it a couple times now.  I did make a couple changes however.  I realized shortly afterward that I was draining the oil filter on the level (I have my bike strapped down in an upright position when draining all fluids so they will drain completely).  Well, oil flows according to gravity which is directedly affected by the angle of the dangle, as many of us know.  So, the 2nd time I put it down on the jiffy stand to pull the filter.  A little better (I got at least some oil to go down the hose).  However, still ran all over the place.  And wrapping the plastic bag around the filter still results in a mess.  And oil runs all over the place.  Yesterday, I had this novel idea.  So, to start with, I took one of those blue paper shop towels and folded it in half.  Now I slid the blue towel under the filter and slid it clear up to where the filter spins on to the threads.  Then I put the orange plastic container under the filter and slid it up to the threads also but near the end, made contact with the blue towel and pushed it up tight near the threaded end of the filter, thereby helping

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

Re: Oil catcher results improvement
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 03:48:49 PM »

to make somewhat of a sealing gasket with the blue paper towel.  Then I spun off the filter until it started to run down into the catcher and down into the oil pan under the engine.  A very little bit snuck out around the blue "paper towel" seal and onto the frame.  But knowing what I know now, I think next time I can devise something to completely plug any escape of errant oil so it all goes down the hose.  I guess Harley decided they could and would make one model of that catcher and with a few cuts and etc, it would fit 95% of all the v-twins out there.  Enter the 110 engine.  Ha!  Hope this helps someone out there be able to complete an oil change on their bike without having to wash the bike down afterwards. Pork.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 04:07:22 PM »

Try punching a fairly small hole in the end of the filter, let it drain into your catch device, then once most of the oil has drained go ahead and stuff the paper towel and catch device under the filter when you actually remove it.  When the filter isn't completely full of extremely hot oil, you won't have a "gusher" when you unscrew it, and the amount of oil that does come out won't overwhelm the catcher and hose.

I've tried many different methods over the years, and none are totally mess free.  But I've found the above method to give me the best result so far (except I don't use the Harley catcher, I use either an old similar product from Drag Specialties or just a modified two liter pop bottle).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 05:14:12 PM »

Hey, Grouch, I have read about the punching of the filter a few times and think I am about ready to try that method.  Rereading about it, it does make sense.  All that volume right at the time you turn the last thread, it does just want to go all over.  And with the paper towel, I should be able to be successful. 

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 10:53:55 PM »

Here is what I have done to remove the filter without a mess.    

I cut approx a 6"x12" piece of plastic from the side of a 1 gallon round windshield washer bottle, its round shape allows it to slip neatly under the filter housing beyond the filter, when it drains and there is no mess.  You can trim it so it fits very snug under the filter housing and clears any obstacle in the area.  Took me a couple of tries but finally got a perfect fit. Overhangs the frame about 2" or so and the oil drains into my oil pan, absolutely no oil anywhere except into the oil drain pan.

To make things easier and cleaner in the beginning I slightly loosen the oil filter until is barely sealed.  I take a punch (made one from an old phillips screwdriver) and punch a lower drain hole and an upper vent hole, go mow the yard or wash the car, when I return 90% of the oil has drained out of the filter, now I can finish removing the filter by hand and very little oil runs out onto the plastic drain piece,  put the old filter in a zip lock bag, clean the filter housing, remove the plastic drain piece install a new K&N filter (the one with the big nut on the end).  The secrete is taking the time for the oil to drain from the hole punched in the filter, sometimes I let it run overnight.

Has worked for me on all my Harley's over the years, just make a new drain piece for your current Harley.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:47:24 AM by SteveO »

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 20 queries.