Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Harley's new plus size oil pan  (Read 22969 times)

Nutdriverss

Harley's new plus size oil pan
« on: August 22, 2013, 07:21:07 PM »

I see in the new SE catalog they now offer a 1.5 quart over size oil pan for the touring bikes.  I was wondering if it's difficult to install?  I couldn't find the installation instructions on line.  It lists for $599, not too bad if it makes a noticeable difference in oil temps.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Harley's new plus size oil pan
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 08:13:07 PM »

I see in the new SE catalog they now offer a 1.5 quart over size oil pan for the touring bikes.  I was wondering if it's difficult to install?  I couldn't find the installation instructions on line.  It lists for $599, not too bad if it makes a noticeable difference in oil temps.

Oil pans are a serious chore to install.  The whole ass end of the bike below the fender has to come off.  And while it may take the system a little longer to get fully heat soaked on a hot day of any riding length full operating temperature will still be full operating temperature.

Harley saw Baker selling something and thought they could make a little extra coin.  As much as they fight heat in these engines and add oil coolers and now water cooling if something as simple as a larger oil pan would really have made a credible difference we'd have seen them on the bikes already.

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 10:42:31 PM »

Save your money, and time.  If you're looking for some heat protection, put some fans on the oil cooler.  Actually you could force cool the oil cooler and the heads for a heck of a lot less than the price of that pan.  And since the oil cooler has a tstat built in, it would just bypass the cooler till the additional oil was well warmed up anyways.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 11:36:45 PM »

It's a ripoff with no FACTS to support its claims and $599 price. OEMed from Baker, it looks like...

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 09:01:47 AM »

There is absolutely NO DATA to support any claims of significant oil temperature reduction.  If there was such a significant difference, it would be very simple for Baker or H-D to provide documented and verifiable test results to prove the claims.  Try to find any such documentation.

Btw, what makes you think reducing your oil temps is necessary or even desirable?  The oil is supposed to run at a high enough temperature to drive off fuel and water contamination, and the normal operating temps are part of the equation when determining the proper viscosity and rating for an engine design.  Way too much BS is floating around concerning high oil temps.  It kind of reminds me of all the BS back in the day about water temps in auto engines as the auto makers increased the thermostat settings and started running the engines hotter on purpose.  All the shadetree geniuses threw away the 200° thermostats and substituted 160 to 180° parts, or better yet just removed the thermostats altogether, which actually screwed up the engines.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 09:40:47 AM »

I agree with you completely.
Oxidation doubles for every 18° rise in temperature above 165°F.
Oxidation is the prime element of oil breakdown. We use very high quality oils in these motors, for the most part, (CJ-4 API or better) and temperatures of 250°-275° are not going to affect engine life as long as normal oil change intervals are observed. Assumptions are proper tune, no contamination, no parts failures, and proper air filtration.
If someone wanted definitive data they can always have their oil lab tested. Stavely and Blackstone provide that service as do most Caterpillar dealers.

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
Sreamin' Eagle High Capacity Oil Plan
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 09:13:54 PM »

Page 464 in the 2014 HD Parts & Accessory Catalog lists a High Capacity Oil Pan - Keep your Engine running cooler....what is everyone's thoughts on this new part????  P/N 24400099 $599.95  :o  Increases oil capacity by 1.5 quarts  :huepfenjump3:  :confused5:  :coolblue:

napalm
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 09:16:38 PM by napalm »
napalm

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Sreamin' Eagle High Capacity Oil Plan
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 09:27:29 PM »

Page 464 in the 2014 HD Parts & Accessory Catalog lists a High Capacity Oil Pan - Keep your Engine running cooler....what is everyone's thoughts on this new part????  P/N 24400099 $599.95  :o  Increases oil capacity by 1.5 quarts  :huepfenjump3:  :confused5:  :coolblue:

napalm

See the posts prior to yours in this thread.  Unless you just want to throw $600 away, I'd suggest you forget this oil pan.  If you really want to control your oil temps better, get a good ten row cooler with a fan.  Jagg sells one, there may be others as well.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 09:28:23 PM »

Marketing...

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 05:28:56 AM »

Oil pans are a serious chore to install.  The whole ass end of the bike below the fender has to come off.  And while it may take the system a little longer to get fully heat soaked on a hot day of any riding length full operating temperature will still be full operating temperature.

Harley saw Baker selling something and thought they could make a little extra coin.  As much as they fight heat in these engines and add oil coolers and now water cooling if something as simple as a larger oil pan would really have made a credible difference we'd have seen them on the bikes already.

Don on the early (pre 2009) touring frames the rear tire has to be removed to remove the oil pan. On the new frames I was looking, at Saphire the other on day the lift and it looks like just the left side of the exhaust and cross member needs to be removed. I have not tried to remove one as of yet, but it looks a lot easier that the early frames.

No I am considering the new pan!!!! Unless they will powder coat it SAPHIRE!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:27:16 AM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 07:43:46 AM »

your better off with a good cooler,600.00 is way too high for a oil pan

TorqueInc

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. Mark Twain
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 02:34:37 PM »

Oil is just as much a coolant as it is a lubricant.

You spend upwards of a couple grand to replace the air cleaner,exhaust system and install a cam to increase power,reduce operating temp as well as if done right increase mileage over stock.

The next step ?  Might just be the only cooling system a Harley had(until the recent steamin beagle upgrade  :coolblue:) other than air.

I am not sure that between 1/2 and 1.5 quarts of oil added to a Harley by itself reguardless of the oil pan design is a good thing without adding increased cooling capability in an oil cooler.

What I don't see as anything but a good thing is 1/2 to 1.5 quarts of cooler oil circulating thru a big twin engine.

Jagg/Setrab makes some of the best oil coolers out there,more surface area etc etc....the stock oil cooler on the touring bikes has about 3-4 ounces of oil...a 6 row Jagg has 6-8 ounces and a ten row has a tick over 10 ounces and they

work very well.

Money aside I think that the combination of a larger capacity pan and a better oil cooler is a great upgrade.
2011 SG Sedona Orange 105" 125/123

www.jwperf.com

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 10:55:50 AM »

your better off with a good cooler,600.00 is way too high for a oil pan

+1
More oil without added BTU elimination, heat exchanger capacity, just takes longer to get just as hot. It is possible the + oil pans have better heat rejection capacity.
The motor build and tune have a lot to do with the heat generated to begin with.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 11:40:28 AM by Deweysheads »

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 11:18:06 AM »

I was thinking the newer Jagg is a 10 row cooler and made with more passages and you can get it with a fan now.

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 10:38:32 AM »

I was thinking the newer Jagg is a 10 row cooler and made with more passages and you can get it with a fan now.

:2vrolijk_21:
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.