Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Harley's new plus size oil pan  (Read 22960 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Harley's new plus size oil pan
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 10:53:20 AM »

I was thinking the newer Jagg is a 10 row cooler and made with more passages and you can get it with a fan now.

Yep...I've been running a 10 row Jagg cooler for a couple years and I added a Jagg thermostat controlled fan this spring.

The change from the stock CVO oil cooler to the Jagg 10 row cooler dropped my highway oil temperatures by approx. 20 degrees.  The addition of the fan had no effect on my highway oil temperatures, but did reduce my "town" oil temperatures by 10/20 degrees, depending on how long I was at "town" speeds.  Jagg will tell you the addition of a fan only provides additional oil cooling at speeds of 30 mph or less.  My experience indicates this is a true statement...  The addition of the Jagg fan did not effect my highway oil temperatures at all, either positively or negatively (by reducing flow thru the cooler, which was an initial concern I had about adding the fan). 
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 11:41:57 AM »

If you want to add cooling to a larger capacity oil pan, this is the only way to do it.

This oil pan sells for $119.95 and fits a Chrysler 727 Torqueflight and is stamped steel, not cast or billet aluminum.

I think bikers get ripped off on their parts compared to cars.

I would think that if Derale made one for the Twin Cam that there would be as large of market potential as with the 727 Torqueflight.  Granted, there are tons more 727's out there than the MOCO's Twin Cams, but I believe that a higher percentage of TC owners would buy over 727 owners, especially at $120 price point.

But if the added cooling air tubes could be incorporated into the 1.5+ pan, it would be much more worth the dollars and effort.  At that point with cooler oil the bike would run cooler.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 05:58:57 PM »

Wonder how well all those weld joints would hold up with all the shaking going on in a Twin Cam? Torqueflights don't vibrate much.

TorqueInc

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. Mark Twain
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 12:43:14 AM »

a stamped steel pan with tubes thru it....I doubt anyone would buy into that one
2011 SG Sedona Orange 105" 125/123

www.jwperf.com

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 10:55:25 AM »

I can only respond to my own findings. When I purchased my 08 SERK I was bothered with the amount of heat we all pretty much experienced and the occasional high speed bike wobble when going into a sweeper pretty hard.  I had the opportunity to talk to the folks @ True Track & they offered me a super discount for the Baker +1 oil pan along with the True Track that mounted to the threaded boss on the pan itself.  The True Track worked great, along with a full compliment of Traxxion products for the front & rear.  The amount of heat was still there.  My bike used to get so hot I have burn spots on the painted frame when the RHTD were removed.  I realize a better exhaust & tune like Steve offers would have been a better choice overall but I was not aware of his offerings until it was to late.  With all that said I would not recommend spending the money on the extra capacity oil pan but I do agree with the other methods such as a Jagg oil cooler.  If I built motors for a living I can understand their reasoning for the additional capacity, which should already be on the bike from the factory.  The extra capacity is nice to have but I just don't see it as assisting the cooling process.  Seriously I would go with a high performance oil cooler and possibly a fan unit of some kind if it makes you feel better.   

RedMoon

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE 3
    • CVO2: 2013 FXSBSE
Harley (Keep it cooler) Screamin’ Eagle High Capacity Oil Pan
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 07:31:40 AM »

New Harley Screamin’ Eagle High Capacity Oil Pan Holds More Lube. Keeps It Cooler.
http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2013/11/16/new-harley-davidson-screamin-eagle-high-capacity-oil-pan-holds-more-lube-keeps-it-cooler/

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: Harley (Keep it cooler) Screamin’ Eagle High Capacity Oil Pan
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 08:15:24 AM »

More oil is a great thing. However, if you are thinking about doing this for greatly reduced oil temps you WILL be disappointed. A friend of mine has a Baker and it didn't lower but 2 to 3 deg, barely enough to see on gauge. That being said, more oil is a good thing.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

mark

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 08:22:20 AM »

Notice what the description didn't say - HD makes the claim that oil temp will be lowered, but doesn't state by how much (i.e., 10%, 15 degrees...give me something to justify the cost). Before spending $600 plus labor, I'd want to know if this would make a noticeable difference.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 08:43:37 AM »

Notice what the description didn't say - HD makes the claim that oil temp will be lowered, but doesn't state by how much (i.e., 10%, 15 degrees...give me something to justify the cost). Before spending $600 plus labor, I'd want to know if this would make a noticeable difference.

It's the new normal in advertising, no facts and a lot of meaningless smoke.  Trust me, if you want to significantly cool the oil this isn't the way to do it.  It would be wiser to spend the money on a high quality ten row oil cooler with thermostatically controlled fans if you want to make a significant difference.  And then you need to think about why you believe you need to cool the oil that much anyway.  Have you suffered any failures caused by overly hot oil?  Do you plan to extend your oil changes to 10k or 20k miles, or do you plan to stick to the 3k to 5k almost all Harley riders use? 

This product is like so many others being hawked to the Harley crowd, overpriced and of little to no real benefit.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 09:08:45 AM »

Didn't read the whole mis-advertisement the 1st time, cause I knew it was a waste. The damn thing is marketed by the MoCo!!! :confused5: If it was a needed benefit, WTH don't they install them from the factory.  :nixweiss:  :-[  :sauer005:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 10:08:27 AM »

Part of the American way - take someone else s idea, copy and market as your own.
Oh - I said that already .....

The claim to lower temps is BS. Sure, it will keep the temps lower until it warms up. Once at op temp it will be the same.

A waste of money for that feature, but if increasing the oil capacity is your gain, that's different.
I did the Baker oil pan for the additional quart of oil. Got it for a really good price at the time too.
The 20% oil capacity increase is good for the engine. Wish it was that easy to add 20% to my F-350

I have noticed that with the Baker pan, once shut off the oil cools down much quicker, that pan is a big heat sink.

Buy the Baker instead, besides, their customer service is way better then the MoCo's

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 11:00:05 AM »

The idea of more oil is a good thing as you spread the load being placed on the oil over a larger volume. Since your doing that it's going to take longer to heat up, which by the way, also means it's going to take longer to cool down as well. The only way to really reduce the oil temperature is to expose the oil to a cooler surface to remove the heat from the oil. How you go about that is up to you.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 11:53:47 AM »

Drain plug is on the side of this pan.  Wonder if it even has the extra hole that many use for the oil temp gauge sending unit up front?

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 12:54:17 PM »

Drain plug is on the side of this pan.  Wonder if it even has the extra hole that many use for the oil temp gauge sending unit up front?

Next to the dead cat...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 04:42:11 PM »

Have the Baker 1.5 pan and the Ultra Cool oil cooler.  Was stuck in traffic the other day to a point that the rear cylinder cut out due to the heat. Fans were on, checked the temp gauge on the dip stick, it read 230 and the bike did not seem to be burning up.  Also, used to run the bike 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart low to stop the air filter oil infiltration. So, that's less than 4 quart's to make that happen.  Now I dump 5 quarts of juice in to her, and call it a day.  And, for the $$ it looks very cool when you are lying on your back, not drunk, under the bike.  :2vrolijk_21:
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 21 queries.