Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Harley's new plus size oil pan  (Read 22963 times)

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
Re: Harley's new plus size oil pan
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2013, 04:43:23 PM »

Ultra Cool.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

Motor-LE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2015, 12:48:46 PM »

I would think the extra oil capacity would delay peak oil temp.  Should help delay and slow the rise to the peak oil temp.   But it would also hold oil temp a bit longer as it will take some time to cool it down as well.

The heat sink design and fins would offer slight extra cooling ability.  So this combined with the above would be helpful for those who ride in parades, thick traffic, or so police motor work.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: Harley (Keep it cooler) Screamin’ Eagle High Capacity Oil Pan
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2015, 02:08:11 PM »

Part of the American way - take someone else s idea, copy and market as your own.
Oh - I said that already .....

Buy the Baker instead, besides, their customer service is way better then the MoCo's

you aren't the only one to say it, and there's a lot of comments on the cyril huze blog saying the same thing, but seriously, has anyone stopped to think that maybe baker makes this for the moco?  instead of being a 'blatant rip-off', it could be a royalty producing item.....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Harley (Keep it cooler) Screamin’ Eagle High Capacity Oil Pan
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2015, 02:33:32 PM »

New Harley Screamin’ Eagle High Capacity Oil Pan Holds More Lube. Keeps It Cooler.
http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2013/11/16/new-harley-davidson-screamin-eagle-high-capacity-oil-pan-holds-more-lube-keeps-it-cooler/
Just like most of the car and bike magazines, this is just an advertisement for the product that's been camouflaged to look like cyril huze evaluated it.  They didn't.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2015, 03:04:21 PM »

Same as shocks...and head lights.....and brake lights.....and exhaust....and windshields....The MOCO shoulda built them right at the factory....so...I'm NOT gonna buy a second component from the MOCO. So long as the aftermarket is as good as or better than the HD 'improved' part...I'll go aftermarket every time!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:06:25 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2015, 05:58:36 PM »

Same as shocks...and head lights.....and brake lights.....and exhaust....and windshields....The MOCO shoulda built them right at the factory....so...I'm gonna buy a second component from the MOCO. So long as the aftermarket is as good as or better than the HD 'improved' part...I'll go aftermarket every time!

BINGO!!!

As for the oil pan, as someone else said, it will likely delay the peak temperature, but probably not reduce it.
It will show great results to those people who ride within a 30 mile radius of home though.

:soapbox:  IMO, it's a solution looking for a problem. There's literally hundreds of thousands of these bikes out there being ridden in all kinds of crazy traffic, weather extremes etc, by owners that are totally oblivious to the supposed "problems" that these bikes have, yet when was the last time you saw them lined up on the shoulders of the roads and back rooms of dealerships with dead engines?? If it was really as a big an issue as many of the fear mongers would like to make you think(notice how many of them have parts to sell you), we'd damn sure be hearing about it.  :soapbox:
2015 CVO Road Glide

Motor-LE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2015, 09:13:09 PM »

^ try slow rolling behind a group of foot marchers for about an hour in the southeast summer.  The bike cooks!  We had one shut down. Two others were so hot they after shutting down it took over 20 minutes to cool down enough to start.  The engine was so hot it was seized up so tight it would not spin overs.

Next week we start a 200 mile detail.  20 miles per day at a walking pace.  So heat will be an issue.

tdkkart

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2015, 09:18:29 PM »

^ try slow rolling behind a group of foot marchers for about an hour in the southeast summer.  The bike cooks!  We had one shut down. Two others were so hot they after shutting down it took over 20 minutes to cool down enough to start.  The engine was so hot it was seized up so tight it would not spin overs.
Next week we start a 200 mile detail.  20 miles per day at a walking pace.  So heat will be an issue.

And then there are those that can't figure out why air cooled vehicles and parades don't mix........... :nixweiss:
2015 CVO Road Glide

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2015, 08:48:10 AM »

Perhaps that is why some law enforcement agencies around the country have bought other brands of bikes in recent years.  If anyone is going to use a late model emission regulated Harley for extended walking speed operation, they need to spend the coin for cooling fans, both for the heads and for an oil cooler.  Thinking you can take a stock setup and submit it to walking pace parade duty in summer heat without repercussions is naïve at best.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Motor-LE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2015, 10:12:29 AM »

And then there are those that can't figure out why air cooled vehicles and parades don't mix........... :nixweiss:

They ones that make the purchases don't ask the ones that ride.  :soapbox:

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2015, 01:34:41 PM »

Ultra Cool.

There is the true answer to taming the engine heat, along with a good tune.
Fan assisted Ultra Cooler. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

nytryder

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2015, 08:53:25 PM »

A set of Wards fans will solve any heating problem you have. Larger oil pans and oil coolers will help some but does not address the main problem. Cylinder head temps. The fans cool the top end and solve over heating issues.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2015, 07:57:15 PM »

A set of Wards fans will solve any heating problem you have. Larger oil pans and oil coolers will help some but does not address the main problem. Cylinder head temps. The fans cool the top end and solve over heating issues.
For bikes with an oil cooler, the parade problem is lack of airflow through the cooler.  You can solve the problem of slow speed overheating by putting fans on the oil cooler.  I have both head fans and oil cooler fans.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
Harley's new plus size oil pan
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2015, 12:49:58 AM »

Saw this new fan introduced at biketoberfest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 24 queries.