Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Air shocks  (Read 9922 times)

Rig Magician

• Stupid Hurts

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road Glide Custom
Air shocks
« on: September 03, 2013, 06:47:36 AM »

I am wanting to add air shocks to my 13 CVO RG custom. From reading I am sure that the ride will be better than the stock single sided adjustable shocks. I like the way it drops, I think it will look good. I am looking at the DIY and also the Arnott with the Bilstien shocks. I have also looked at the Xotic shocks. Is this a worth while upgrade to the RG custom? I am getting ready to install the mono tube for the fronts before I leave for my trip this month.
Thanks,
Mark
You have to be tuff if you are going to be Dumb!!!!

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: Air shocks
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 08:29:10 AM »

I am wanting to add air shocks to my 13 CVO RG custom. From reading I am sure that the ride will be better than the stock single sided adjustable shocks. I like the way it drops, I think it will look good. I am looking at the DIY and also the Arnott with the Bilstien shocks. I have also looked at the Xotic shocks. Is this a worth while upgrade to the RG custom? I am getting ready to install the mono tube for the fronts before I leave for my trip this month.
Thanks,
Mark
I am curious about this myself. I am 5'6" and was thinking of doing this on my CVO SG this winter. If anyone has info on the install, parts required, and type of ride it provides, please chime in.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Beloved Memories

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 12:12:03 PM »

Thanks,
Mark
I wouldn't  recommend air shocks
progressive 944's

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 02:31:46 PM »

I wouldn't  recommend air shocks
progressive 944's
Are you going to state why or just drop by and leave us hanging?  :nixweiss:

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 03:51:50 PM »

Motorcycle specific shocks offer between 2"-3" of travel. This is fine for most applications.

The automobile shocks offer between 4.5" and 5.5" of travel. These work well with extended bags.

The MC shocks pump up faster with the kit supplied compressor.

The Auto shocks take longer to pump up.

2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Rig Magician

• Stupid Hurts

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 05:38:45 AM »

Puzzled,
 Do you have them and how is the ride? I am looking at the DIY or the Arnotts with the Bilstein shocks. I like the way the arnotts has a small compressor that mounts in front of the battery out of the way. I want it to ride good and also look good.
Mark

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 09:32:28 AM »

Yes I have air ride on my 2013 currently. I originally had the Arnott Aldan's and just recently switched to the Monroe's. I like the ride better with the Monroe's as well as the extra suspension travel. If there were a down side it would have to be the time it takes to air them up compared to the Aldan's. I have been looking into installing a small air tank on the bike to aide in airing up the suspension a little quicker. We aren't talking minutes here but rather seconds, what seems like forever while sitting there.

On my 01 I had Legend's (first generation, modified OEM shocks) and Monroe's. I ran the Monroe's (different part number than my 13) right up to the day I sold the bike.

For me the Motorcycle Specific shocks just don't offer enough suspension travel to get my extended bags hi enough to not drag in the corners. The MC shocks work great with a loaded bike or with a passenger. Solo I thought they were a little harsh for me.

Monroe's, air out.

Aldan video (click on picture to watch video)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 09:37:07 AM by Puzzled »
2023 CVO Road Glide

CVO Brian

• Full CVO Member
  • Baggers- Not just for grandpa anymore

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Orange and Black
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 09:49:02 AM »

Be careful with the Arnott compressor if you have abs brakes. I know the model I had , the directions called to mount the compressor where the abs module was if you didn't have abs. I ended up mounting back by rear fender strut.It worked fine little noisy. The ride was ok. I used it primarily to get my stretched bags off the ground and to drop the bike to look cool at shows and bars. it does have on the fly adjustment which is very handy. And if I recall I got the whole thing from Custom Dynamics for around 450-500. Very easy to install, I opted for the toggle switch under the seat but I know you can get it handle bar mounted as well.
If you want a true touring and handling shock I would choose one of the coil over brands, progressive, Bitubo etc...
Jesse,
You and your wife combined weigh about 200Lbs, do you even need shocks on your bike brother?  :huepfenjump3:
V&H True Duals
Rinehart 4" Chrome Pipes
Trucklite ph 7 w/ passing lamps
Pollished front rotors
SE Race Tuner
SE Chisel Air Cleaner
Wild1 Chubby 578 10" Bars
TP Removal System
CVO SG Stretch Bags and Rear Fender
CVO SG 110 Derby Cover

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 10:01:53 AM »

With the ABS bike I've been mounting the compressor in front of the battery. I wrap the compressor in a can "coozie" to keep it from rattling around.

Handlebar controls.
2023 CVO Road Glide

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 10:54:14 AM »

I have seen people use the Arnott compressor with Legends shocks and they pump up right now where the Legends are very slooooooww.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 12:26:27 AM »

It is all in the compressor size/model. I believe the early compressor Arnott shipped was a Viair 90C. A 92C or 95C is a little bigger volume wise and about the same physical size. The new Arnott kits for the ABS bike are coming with a Ghast compressor (I don't know the size).
2023 CVO Road Glide

twistedcherokee

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 12:50:30 AM »

This is what I did. List is in post 15.  http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/582587-air-ride-installed-2.html
 I like mine but the dump valve that I used was from a Lincoln & the tube size I could not find & modified it to fit but it leaks so I am in process going a different route for the dump valve. It might take longer to air up but it is worth it.
  Toby
1999 Ultra Classic  95 CI, 2005 SG wheels, Fullsac TD

Rig Magician

• Stupid Hurts

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 05:39:20 AM »

Puzzeled thanks for the info. One more question, Where did you mount your compressor at?
Mark

Rig Magician

• Stupid Hurts

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 06:07:09 AM »

Ok, Anybody try the Gabriel shocks. Do they have problems with them hitting the exhaust pipes.
 Puzzeled do the monroe shocks you have hit you pipes??
Mark

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 06:38:11 AM »

Puzzeled thanks for the info. One more question, Where did you mount your compressor at?
Mark
Most likely he has the small compressor and mounted it in the frame below the battery box under the seat.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 24 queries.