Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Want to be able to charge my iphone on my bike. What are the options?  (Read 2191 times)

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic

Any ideas guys?
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Layin the Pipe

• Drill baby drill!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Hard Candy Gold Dust/Liquid Sun
Re: Want to be able to charge my iphone on my bike. What are the options?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 02:01:44 AM »

I'm thinking about putting the Kuryakyn usb ports on both of my bikes.
You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! - Davy Crockett

Breakout

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout gold candy
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 03:12:17 AM »

I have insatlled the Kuriakyn USB connection, works great, have installed the transformer inside the headlamp with feed from the city light bulb (the breakout has no switched accesory connection) And glued the outlet socket on the back of the crome fork cover (see photo in red circle).
I am using the iPhone now with a lifeproof watertight cover and lifeproof cradle on the handlebars, not only do I have my telephone now working, but it also doubles as a Navigation aid (with navigonapp)so I have saved myself a few bucks for a searate gps system.
I have even tried it with a iPad , the connection is giving enough power to charge the iPad, but I was thinking of using the iPad as Nav aid with nice big screen, but unfortunately the GPS propertys of the iPad are not good, not enough updates for some reason (or I am driving too fast) so the indication of my position was lagging a few miles behind. I have put a photo of the iPad on the next post.

2013 CVO Breakout Hard Candy Gold , Jekill&Hyde Shorty, SERT, Daymaker , Elite Air Filter.

Breakout

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 03:19:16 AM »

Here the photo of iPad installed, looks great in the Garage, but worthless on the road

2013 CVO Breakout Hard Candy Gold , Jekill&Hyde Shorty, SERT, Daymaker , Elite Air Filter.

psdj52

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 07:05:53 AM »

I don't mind the idea of a usb charger on a bike. I saw one hidden in a swing arm bag. Looked and functioned well, but on a bike so you can run a Ipad. Why. To many gadgets on a bike just looks like to many gadgets on a bike. Less is more. Plus, dump the wind shield on that Breakout.

Breakout

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 07:25:00 AM »

Ever been driving 1200 km (or 800 miles) on one day without a windshield ??

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »

I have insatlled the Kuriakyn USB connection, works great, have installed the transformer inside the headlamp with feed from the city light bulb (the breakout has no switched accesory connection) And glued the outlet socket on the back of the crome fork cover (see photo in red circle).
I am using the iPhone now with a lifeproof watertight cover and lifeproof cradle on the handlebars, not only do I have my telephone now working, but it also doubles as a Navigation aid (with navigonapp)so I have saved myself a few bucks for a searate gps system.
I have even tried it with a iPad , the connection is giving enough power to charge the iPad, but I was thinking of using the iPad as Nav aid with nice big screen, but unfortunately the GPS propertys of the iPad are not good, not enough updates for some reason (or I am driving too fast) so the indication of my position was lagging a few miles behind. I have put a photo of the iPad on the next post.
There's a lifeproof cradle that fits our handlebars?
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Breakout

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 02:49:23 AM »

Yes, Go to the Lifeproof site there you can find them , Watertight Case 89.99 , Bike and Bar mount 39.99 the bar clip just fits the breakout handlebar.

http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/us_en/iphone-5/nuud/

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 03:54:23 AM »

Yes, Go to the Lifeproof site there you can find them , Watertight Case 89.99 , Bike and Bar mount 39.99 the bar clip just fits the breakout handlebar.

http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/us_en/iphone-5/nuud/
Thank you!  Cool. :-)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 03:56:24 AM »

When I get back from this trip, I'm mounting a marine dual usb plug in the glovebox of the '09 SERG, and wiring it so that it is hot all the time (so that I can charge devices while I am off the bike and not have to leave the bike on accessory), with a toggle switch so that I can switch the plug completely off.

'Run iPhone 5 / Lifeproof / Cardo Q3 Teamset and got the smaller Kury Tech Mount (mounts to the switch housing) at Sturgis and really like the mount. It's in an ideal position for me for poor man's nav, caller id, iTunes control etc and doesn't look to bad to me.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 04:00:49 PM »

Put an iPad Mini in a LifeProof waterproof case in a Ram mount on my Switchblade for the 3500 mile trip out to Washington in August. Worked GREAT. Tunes, GPS, Camera, Video recorder, night time internet surfing and e-mails. Won't go on a long trip without it. On and off in seconds. Purchased a USB charger that plugs into my Powerlet outlet when I need more juice. Didn't come close to draining the battery on the iPad Mini any day I was riding.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=86009.0

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 04:08:43 PM by Buy early »

Firewalker

• Firewalker.
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide
    • CVO2: 2007 non-CVO Road King Classic
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 08:51:28 PM »

On my 2012 Ultra and I use my iPhone as my 'iPod' or music source hooked up in my bag, it charges while it is playing and is always at 100% when I get off the bike.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 03:32:01 AM »

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/4206/USB-Power-Source

This looks like a great product!

Thanks for the post Speedy, hadn't even thought about a charger till you brought it up, now I need one!!!!

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 06:52:54 AM »

Speedy, check out this vendor:   http://www.powerlet.com/
just about every different way to handle your question is answered there.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.