Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Chrome Front Fender Spear  (Read 2620 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Chrome Front Fender Spear
« on: October 30, 2006, 11:23:42 AM »

Don't know exactly where to put this thread, but when I saw this part on some of the SEEG's and Ultra's in MV, I thought it was a nice classy touch, so got me one.  Installed carefully, following directions (cleaned fender well with alcohol, let dry, etc).  As you know, it just sticks on...stuck great everywhere but the very tip of the front, which popped loose the next day for some reason.  It's just the front most tip of the spear...the rest of it is stuck like it was nailed on there. I've tried sticking it back down with no luck. Any suggestions as to what kind of glue or stickum could be used to stick that tip back down?  It's hardly noticable, but I know it's there, and it's bugging the crap out of me.  I've got the equivalent to a large clothepin to hold it down while it's curing, but don't have a clue as to what type of adhesive they use on these "stick on" parts, and don't want to pull it off.

I was thinking a drop of Gorilla Glue or something....????
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Chrome Front Fender Spear
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 01:57:37 PM »

Hi TCnBham,
I would be afraid of using liquid glue on a painted surface. I would be afraid of overruns or drips eating the paint not covered by the trim.
I think most of the trim is on bikes and many cars and trucks is installed with double sided tape made by 3M and has a red backing. It is called VHB for very high bond. There are other types in other colors that don't have the same hold strength. You can buy it at auto parts stores.
If you can not remove the whole piece by using fishing line under it you may want to just try this to get some VHB 3M tape under the gap. You try sliding a small piece under the gap with the slippery side near the fender,then when under the trim you press the trim down so the sticky side adheres to the trim. when that is in place you them remove the backing carefully and press the part down to the fender. This should make it stick. Then trim off the excess tape with an Xacto knife. If you have any tape residue on the fender you can remove it with a Qtip treated with a cleaner like 3M bug and decal remover.You can get that at the auto parts store too. It works good without damaging the paint.
I hope this helps you, good luck.

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 02:16:53 PM »

TC,
I know this may sound crude but liquid nails will hold anything. Just hold it with a c-clamp and let it sit overnight. It's pretty thick so I doubt it would run on you, wouldn't need much. Just a thought .

Ed
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 02:23:59 PM »

In my opinion the best solution would be to remove the spear using finsing line and re-install it. Be sure to clean off the old tape and use new tape to reinstall. You may need to "dry fit" it first to be sure that it follows the curve perfectly. If you would like I can send you some new tape and the activator to hold it down. ( I use the VHB tape on the LED's I sell)

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 02:31:34 PM »

In my opinion the best solution would be to remove the spear using finsing line and re-install it. Be sure to clean off the old tape and use new tape to reinstall. You may need to "dry fit" it first to be sure that it follows the curve perfectly. If you would like I can send you some new tape and the activator to hold it down. ( I use the VHB tape on the LED's I sell)

I agree that would be best. As along as you can remove the spear without damage to the paint.

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 02:32:29 PM »

Is the VHB tape wide enough to do the spear in one strip or do you have to lay down a couple side by side?

Cheers

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 03:32:09 PM »

I agree that would be best. As along as you can remove the spear without damage to the paint.

Yea, that's what concerns me...what has the sticky done to the paint already, if anything...there's such a very small part not stuck.

I've got some Glare Spider Web Swirl remover coming anyway, so can get rid of any small surface scratches...got a few to get rid of anyway.  One disadvantage to a dark color is that every little spider web shows up no matter how careful you are washing.

TTS Mastertune

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 03:36:04 PM »

Yea, that's what concerns me...what has the sticky done to the paint already, if anything...there's such a very small part not stuck.

I've got some [highlight]Glare Spider Web Swirl remover [/highlight]coming anyway, so can get rid of any small surface scratches...got a few to get rid of anyway.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 03:52:06 PM »

Uhh HELLO!!!!!

[smiley=worthless.gif]

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 03:59:01 PM »

Sounds good let me know how it works I could use that too on the dark cherry paint.

Ed, there's a good review of Glare products on Webikeworld, including the Spider and their regular Polish, with before and after shots on a black bike.  I can personally attest to their Polish, Leather Treatment, Wheel Cleaner, Tire treatment, and Wash...never used anything better, and I've tried everything.  I had a BLACK 19 foot BassCat Pantera II with only 10% silver flake, a Black 200 Merc, black trailer with fiberglass fenders,  so I got an opportunity to try out every polish/wax on the market!!!  All of the Glare stuff is the best I've used!!!

TTS Mastertune

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 04:16:46 PM »

I've got some Glare Spider Web Swirl remover coming anyway, so can get rid of any small surface scratches...got a few to get rid of anyway.  One disadvantage to a dark color is that every little spider web shows up no matter how careful you are washing.

Terry;
I would also use a heat gun to warm up the strip and fender, it will help the tape release. just don't over do it and burn the paint!

Is the VHB tape wide enough to do the spear in one strip or do you have to lay down a couple side by side?

Cheers

Dave

Dave, the tape comes in all different widths, I have 1/4" and 1/2". It comes in differnet width as well. Using two strips side by side if necessry is no big deal.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 04:57:29 PM »

Terry;
[highlight]I would also use a heat gun to warm up the strip and fender, it will help the tape release. just don't over do it and burn the paint![/highlight]

Jim...about as close to that as I can come is a hair dryer on high, so maybe that will do the trick...actually, I tried that on the part that came up thinking it might make the thing stick back down by making the sticky stuff "tacky" again, but it didn't work.  All this because I wanted a 30 buck decoration on the fender!!!  I did manage to get the Screamin' Eagle Medalion on the back center of the leather tour pak lid though, and it looks good...it also STUCK!!

TTS Mastertune

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 05:17:44 PM »

Heat it up and use Dental flosh to cut it off. clean -up with goof off :)

Flying Ace

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA#10357

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTKSE
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 05:57:32 PM »

[smiley=worthless.gif]

Part number pleeeeeese...?
CVO Limited

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 06:12:16 PM »

91195-04

Here's a pic too!

TTS Mastertune
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 20 queries.