Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: What do you guys think about Ducati?  (Read 12495 times)

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
Re: What do you guys think about Ducati?
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2013, 08:19:21 PM »

The three major reasons leaving me on the fence at the moment are only the creature comforts of a radio, cruise control and a cigarette lighter ... yes, really that's it. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling Ducati isn't offering 1.99% for the MTS for a reason.

http://www.powerlet.com/product/handlebar-power-outlet/456

One problem solved...

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2013, 01:45:54 PM »

Tuneboy also offers a cruise control kit for the MTS/Diavel.  It's around $400, is electronic, and works just like the one on your HD.

The powerlet option is a good one if you must have a cigarette lighter.  There are already two power outlets on the bike for heated gear, phone charging, etc.  I'm a smoker and can count on one hand the number of times I used the cigarette light on my HD bikes.  If I need to smoke I do so when I stop for fuel and take a 15 minute break.  Smoking while riding never really worked too well for me.

I know you said previously that you wear a half helmet.  I can't imagine riding a bike like the MTS with a half helmet on for a number of reasons...first, I do not think they are as safe as a 3/4, Full Face, or Flip Face.  Flip face helmets are the best thing since pajamas with feet in them, especially if you wear glasses.  Second, a half helmet allows much too much wind noise to the ears, not to mention bugs/debris to the face. Third, a half helmet would look weird on a Ducati, IMO. Last, a helmet that provides more coverage also allows a more aerodynamic flow of air over the top and sides of the windshield...less buffeting and no feeling like the helmet is being lifted off your head.

Unless you have some particular reason to NOT wear a better, more protective helmet, a Flip Face like the Schuberth C3 Pro, the Nolan N-104, etc allows use of a Bluetooth headset.  Both Schuberth and Nolan provide their own versions of headsets designed for their helmets...the Schuberth is one of the most clever designs in that the system replaces the "collar" on the bottom of the helmet, as shown here: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schuberth-c3-pro-src-system    One other good option is the Shark Evoline 3, which, to my knowledge, is the only helmet that converts to a true 3/4 without removing any parts...simply release the chin bar and flip it all the way back and you have a 3/4.  Shark also offers their own version, made to fit, of a Bluetooth.  Any of those helmets would solve the third problem...the tunes.  Simply load your smartphone with tunes and stream them to the helmet. It will also connect to the GPS system available for the MTS via bluetooth so you get directions in the headset.  If you just can't stand anything other than a 1/2 helmet, the same phone could be hardwired via some good earbuds, and kept fully charged via one of the two power outlets on the side of the bike.

Just food for thought...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2013, 03:46:58 PM »

Midnight Rider has successfully removed all your obstacles that you gave earlier in purchasing the MTS.  Now you have no excuses. Go and get that MTS and post some pics ASAP!
Jesus is Lord

fresch

• CVO1: 2011 cvo ultra
    • CVO2: 2008 cvo dyna annv color
    • CVO3: 2012 ducati streetfighter s
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2013, 07:14:09 AM »

sent you a pm

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2013, 01:44:04 PM »

Finally got some well needed sleep, can't remember the last time I slept for 12 hrs or better. I have it so bad for this bike I rode up yesterday when they were closed just to gaze at it through the window. I wish it were as easy as some of you are making it out to be, but it isn't ... for me at least. It all comes down to money in the end (doesn't it always?). I really didn't want to put this out there, but don't care anymore I'm getting so desperate. I could have rode off with it that day after my test ride if my wife co-signed. She thinks I need this bike like a hole in the head and I kind of agree to a point, but I know deep down I really do want it. My credit is really good, but at the moment my debt to equity ratio is bad so I need her to co-sign and she doesn't want to. This is a major letdown for me because I purchased my last four brand-new bikes (including the RGU) on my own without a co-signer. She's hesitant because in my last fifteen years of driving tri-axle dump, these last couple years (especially this year) are the worst I've ever seen in my life. I'm getting by, but just barely. I have three other bikes (2 dirt & 1 street) that are paid for collecting dust that I want rid of, but don't want to give away. Today's economy sucks and many others are in my boat so I understand trying to get a bargain, but I don't want to get beat up too bad on them. My wife is willing to go up there with me later today after work to help out, but not to co-sign. I have to see if we can figure something out. All will be good if I can keep my payments at or less than the $445 per month where I'm at now. Winter sickens me since I'm stuck paying for something I can't use til spring but you have to pay to play. She keeps telling me the riding season is almost over for the year (which I know) so why get a new bike now, but what's the difference? Provided I can keep my payment the same or a bit less than it is now, it would still cost me the same if a 2.5 yr. old Harley or a new Ducati sits in the garage for the winter.        
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:54:33 PM by Phantom309 »
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2013, 02:08:37 PM »

sent you a pm

Thanks, now you have one.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2013, 03:58:41 PM »

Midnight Rider has successfully removed all your obstacles that you gave earlier in purchasing the MTS.  Now you have no excuses. Go and get that MTS and post some pics ASAP!

Yes, he has ... wish he could take care of my last hurdle too. I'm gonna try my best and will let you and everyone know the good or bad news later this evening.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2013, 04:01:25 PM »

http://www.powerlet.com/product/handlebar-power-outlet/456

One problem solved...

Thanks, that looks nice but may have to put that one on the back burner if all goes well.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2013, 04:18:06 PM »

Phantom309 I understand the situation you are describing and see both sides. The emotional conflicting with the financial/practical.
I see vehicles as fun and look at each one as potential good times. My spouse looks at vehicles as basic transportation and no need for extra ones or super fancy ones.
We have learned to compromise most of the time on transportation vs. toys and wants vs. needs. Over time we all have problems in life to deal with and many of us learn to put priorities in order so that needs are met before wants.
Just my .02 but maybe the roadblocks you are hitting are gentle ways of telling you that the Ducati is just a want and not a need? You may hate not owning one now but if you get laid off in bad weather or other family financial emergencies come up could you afford to be "bike poor" having all your money tied up in bikes and not cash or savings?
As far as having the new Ducati sitting in the garage over the winter you could think about the fact that the new warranty would be in effect and wearing away while it sits in your garage. Also whether you sell some of your other bikes outright or trade them in since it's near the end of the riding season you won't get as much as if you wait until spring when everyone gets the riding bug. Of course the bikes will be X amount of months older too in the spring.
I know many members on this site have multiple CVOs or other bikes and I thought it would be fun to be a collector but for a little over 3 years I owned two CVOs and found it stressful to keep them both from being neglected or maintained and licensed. Now that I only have one I am more happy and save money at the same time. That's just me though.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2013, 02:05:17 AM »

Why not wait until spring and in the mean time try to sell off the bikes you said were collecting dust.  It will give you some time to think about the matter and if you still feel as strongly about it next spring then get one.  Another consideration is looking for a gently used 2011-2013 model with low miles on it.  If you look around there are some deals out there if you are diligent and prepared to move on then when you see them.  If a used model is not an option then maybe Ducati will have another special financing option by the time you are ready to buy.  It's been my opinion that it is almost always better NOT to buy when the emotions are high.  Like you said, why let it sit in your garage for the winter while you are making monthly payments when it can sit at the dealership.  I see one in your future but be patient Grasshopper. 
Jesus is Lord

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2013, 02:23:58 AM »

Too late, I did it! Payments are a bit less than the Harley and that includes extra three years unlimited miles on top of factory warranty. I'm covered for as long as I'm paying for it. Try to post some pics later, going back out.
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2013, 02:45:35 AM »

Too late, I did it! Payments are a bit less than the Harley and that includes extra three years unlimited miles on top of factory warranty. I'm covered for as long as I'm paying for it. Try to post some pics later, going back out.

:2vrolijk_21:  waiting for pics!
Jesus is Lord

fresch

• CVO1: 2011 cvo ultra
    • CVO2: 2008 cvo dyna annv color
    • CVO3: 2012 ducati streetfighter s
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2013, 07:06:53 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:way to go Phantom

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2013, 11:00:10 AM »

Holy hell this thing should be illegal it's so much fun, I LOVE IT! Pics are gonna have to wait, just came home to get my spare key and owner's manual for big blue. I wasn't leaving without this bike last night so I have to get an inspection sticker on it today if I can stand to park it long enough for that. Only about 150 miles so far, had a little nap when i
I got home after picking it up and read about some of the gadgets (ON-LINE) I couldn't figure out since my manual and stuff was locked up yesterday evening. Rode around looking for every twisty road I could find this morn and even carried the front wheel over a knoll, wasn't even trying. This bike is so awesome I'm sorry I never gave Ducati a chance before now. I think this bike is just what the dr. ordered to yank me out of my rough patch ... no medication needed. I don't miss anything I was all flustered about, they're ALMOST faded memories now. I thank all of you for your help and practical thinking, but I can tell I made the right choice with do doubts whatsoever now, it gets even better the more you ride it. Any of you on the fence like I was, go for it ... trust me, you won't regret it. I love the bike just the way it rolled off the showroom, can't wait to see what I'm like once I have money for the exhaust!

:2vrolijk_21: :orange: DUCATI  :orange: :2vrolijk_21:    
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2013, 11:43:55 AM »

Congratulations on your new love. Just be careful with all that instantly available power, they are completely different animals than H-D's. Enjoy!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 25 queries.