Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 13 inch shocks on street glide  (Read 12485 times)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
13 inch shocks on street glide
« on: September 26, 2013, 04:27:52 PM »

Has anyone installed 13 inch shocks on a street glide?   Looking to but a Street glide special and improve the ride with Bitubos.    thanks Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
Re: 13 inch shocks on street glide
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 04:34:03 PM »

The stock shocks are much improved these days. Might want to give the air shocks a try before spending the extra $

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 05:29:37 PM »

Has anyone installed 13 inch shocks on a street glide?   Looking to but a Street glide special and improve the ride with Bitubos.    thanks Billy

The street glide is lowered an inch in the rear by the 12" shocks, but the front end is "normal" height.  If you put the 13" shock on the bike, you'll have both ends the same height, more suspension travel on the rear, and better ground clearance in the turns.  No down side other than losing that lowered "look" in the rear.

HD does not make a decent shock...period.  People don't know how bad they are until they ride on something decent.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 08:07:46 PM »

Personally, I would ride the Streetglide Special to see how it rides first.  It has the new front forks and the rear shocks are not air (have the upgraded shocks) but they are still 12"..

Like Terry (Midnightrider) said, the Bitubo's (especially at 13") will ride better. 

The only downside to the 13" shock is the look of the bike parked (some people like the lowered look)..  But once you get the Bitubo's adjusted for sag, when you sit on the bike it will be about the same height as the 12"..   Then you can ride and adjust the rebound as needed.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 08:50:53 PM »

Yes, I just recently installed 13" shocks on my SG.  I notice no difference in height off the ground but a Hugh difference in the ride quality over my OEM 12" shocks.  I installed Suspension Technologies Shocks and I'm loving them.  :2vrolijk_21:

Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide, Skunk
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 07:14:28 PM »

I used the 13 inch Ohlins model 159.  They have adjustment for length, with everything turned-in the bike sits virtually the same as stock.  You still get the 3 inches of travel and a much, much better shock than OEM.
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 24 queries.