Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: A Black Eye for Bikers  (Read 20879 times)

cvoDoug

• Junior CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2004 CVO Electra Glide
Re: A Black Eye for Bikers
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 10:13:36 AM »

HHHHMMMMM, had to to think about this and try to be subjective.  We all know that when we ride there's the occasional butthole that is in a hurry and needs to break into a group.  I've experienced it and I'm sure many of others have too.  Now with that being said, we ride open vehicles.  No cage and all the metal is between our legs.  Right or wrong, I guarantee that without a hundred buddies around that idiot wouldn't have break checked a 3 ton vehicle.  Just stupid.  I ride alone or with a few buds for the most part.  When we encounter idiots in cages that do stupid sh*t we just let em' on by.  If we see them at a stop then we may confront them.  But taking action on a public road with bike vs. car/truck scenario is never going to work and usually never in the bike favor.  Whether the guy in the car did some chit to provoke the actions of the guys on the bikes or not.  When they all joined in it became a mob action and that is where it's a chicken chit act.  Get the guys tags, follow while someone calls the cops.  It doesn't really matter who's at fault, now it's perception.     

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Animals like this give the rest a bad rep..........
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 10:29:17 AM »

Animals like this give the rest a bad rep..........

Since the video is public I hope that the bikers who did the follow up attack get charged.

The initial incident was minor, can't say I blame the guy for what followed after they attacked him.
And if you have ever been in the Tri-State area with angry hoard of sport bikers you know why this guy tried to take off.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/pack-motorcyclists-chase-man-suv-attack-upper-manhattan-street-fender-bender-west-side-highway-article-1.1471585

Surprised it doesn't happen more often.
I have seen groups of 50-100 flying down the Garden State Parkway well in excess of the normal traffic speed of 75 mph
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 11:23:30 AM »

Them guys were lucky he didn't have his ccp.  Helmet won't stop a bullet. 

Todd.

Not an issue in NYC or NY for that matter.

Living in this area and having seen plenty of these sport bike groups, I don't blame the driver one bit, especially with a 2 year old in the car.

These groups ride like asswipes and use the gang mentality on the road. They intimidate and ride recklessly. If you ever get to see 50-100 of them using all 5 lanes on the Garden State Parkway you would know what I mean.

It is quite obvious that early on in the video that the group is "circling the wagon" and boxing the SUV in. When they followed him off the exit it really became a different story.
If you are stupid enough brake check a truck on a bike, well then.

The really sad part is that for over 6 minutes there is no NYPD intervention.

What really surprises was one of the knuckleheads made the video public, that should really help the DA get an assault charge against several of them.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 11:57:13 AM »

Hard to tell what started the (metric) road rage much less the "group think", probably (something like) a close call on a lane change, after that, the taunting began and the camera went on. The injury resulted when the rider slowed way down and faked a stop. The Rover bumped him, he went down and the driveover busted his legs. Match+fuse+testosterone=BOOM.

My group is older, we wouldn't have reacted that way, but I have to admit, thirty years ago.............we might have done something equally as stupid, if not worse. The driver probably deserved a major ass chewing and a "corrective interview" about watching for motorcycles. The whuppin' they gave him is going to result in some time in County.  There is a lesson here, but I have to agree, under the circumstances, "restraint" might be hard for any of us to find at that moment.

Unfortunately, several of us that carry might have shot "helmet guy".  No winners here, and as the post suggests, a "Black Eye" for all of us.  This is very insightful stuff, raises many issues, good job guys.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »

Stuff like this is exactly why I don't watch the news anymore, too depressing.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 01:01:10 PM »

I just went back and read the news story again. Someone is naming names in the comment section. May or may not be actual participants, could be someone with a grudge placing blame. Either way it seems there is enough photographic evidence to round up many of the perps. I never found any reference in any news outlet that indicate the driver started anything. When he ran over the bikes early in the video and mid way through he was trying to get his family out of harms way, can't fault him for that. Haven't heard of anything as bad as this happening in Atlanta, yet, but the gangs are here and they screw up traffic occasionally. Saw them once on I-20 blocking all lanes then tearing out doing 90 mph wheelies.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 01:22:02 PM »

We have a Stand your ground law here, plenty of targets in that group.  What a bunch of idiots and to film it as well.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 02:17:36 PM »

I woudn't consider this a 'black eye' for bikers.  This is a isolated case of a group of punks in New York.  Those Range Rovers are tough, it would have easily trampled over a couple of dozen bikes!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2013, 02:41:06 PM »

Hey RIO, I think you are right that among "motorcycle enthusiasts" it may not be a "Black Eye" but for every non-rider watching the news, we are at fault even when we are not. We are ALL considered "1%ers", and no amount of good deeds will go unpunished (in their opinion).

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 03:32:01 PM »

watched the video a couple times. those are not bikers just thugs riding motorcycles.

Totally agree. Animals on two wheels. Some MadMax bullchit.

Sad thing is though, even if the driver of the SUV had jumped through all the hoops to legally own a handgun in NYC. I'm sure that Rover would be riddled with holes, had he pulled it out for self-defense, from all the illegally possessed firearms on the majority of those bikes.

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2013, 03:44:24 PM »

Never thought of that, but you're right.

OWL

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2013, 03:47:45 PM »

the worst hurt of the so-called bikers is fairly local to me 

A Lawrence man is recovering in a New York hospital after being struck Sunday by a Land Rover in New York City during a wild confrontation between the Land Rover driver and dozens of motorcyclists.

Motorcyclist Edwin Mieses Jr. sustained at least two broken legs during the incident, which has drawn national attention after dramatic video of it was posted on the Internet.

like most have said we dont have all of the facts and likely never will.

that said i do believe this group was looking to shut-down a highway and turn it into their own personal playground. i saw many gopro helmet mounts as well as BSR's with cameras and ipads.

they also blocked a white van that was able to get away without incident.

According to The New York Times, Commissioner Kelly said the bikers were apparently part of loosely organized group of motorcyclists who planned to drive into the heart of the city as they had done last year, effectively paralyzing Times Square. Kelly said his department was on alert this year and stopped bikers throughout the city before they could grow into a large throng.f

the swarm was already agitated....
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 04:37:22 PM »

"Motorcyclist Edwin Mieses Jr. sustained at least two broken legs during the incident"

I knew whey were animals, now its confirmed!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 04:41:31 PM »

It's telling that as the bikers took various off ramps while following the SUV that not a single bike is visible in the video choosing NOT to take the off ramp, divorcing themselves from this rapidly deteriorating situation.  All chose to follow the pack.  You'd like to think there was at least one rider thinking it was a bad choice to continue involvement.  

Also notice the red light being blown thru once in the city environment, putting other innocent folks in jeopardy.  There is no excuse for such action, regardless of what events preceded the chase.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 01:41:43 AM »

It's telling that as the bikers took various off ramps while following the SUV that not a single bike is visible in the video choosing NOT to take the off ramp, divorcing themselves from this rapidly deteriorating situation.  All chose to follow the pack.  You'd like to think there was at least one rider thinking it was a bad choice to continue involvement. 

Also notice the red light being blown thru once in the city environment, putting other innocent folks in jeopardy.  There is no excuse for such action, regardless of what events preceded the chase.

Amen to that.  All those folks need to grow up and learn to act like civilized adults.  They think they're Mad Max, when they're really Beavis and Butthead.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.