Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: feels loose on the road  (Read 9290 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: feels loose on the road
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 02:06:41 AM »

Don, I wasn't aware that could be done. Have you swapped swingarm to newer style? I would like a fatter tire on the back, but it's only for aesthetics. I would think that it would be a costly mod as well so I haven't really researched it yet.

Yes, and it's a really worthwhile upgrade.  The old square hollow swingarms had a tendency to bend, crack or even break.  I thought I was changing mine on the SERG prophylactically a few years ago.  But when I got it out found it both bent and cracked. 

There are two ways to make the change.  One is with the bushing kits that mate to the 02 and newer swingarms on their OD and keep the smaller cross shaft size from the 01s and prior on their ID.  The other option is to change cross shafts also but that means boring out the tranny case to accept the larger diameter shaft from the 02-08 bikes.  The larger shaft just isn't worth the trouble.

Rivera and Sta-Bo both make (or made) kits for this.  Sta-Bo's is their Sta-Bo III.  I just looked and can't find the Rivera kit in the Drag book nor anyplace else either.  Perhaps no longer available?

The Sta-Bo kit makes for an easy retrofit though.  Allows using the 02-08 swingarm on the 01 and prior touring bikes.  Brake caliper mount stays the same.  You'll be using the larger 1" axle (and losing the old stupid axle adjusters) so you'll need to change bearings in the wheels too.  Some of the old wheels don't have a large enough center hole to accept the spacer between the bearings for the 1" axle.  That's not a deal breaker though.  All of the aluminum wheels can be bored through to accept the spacer.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 01:08:01 PM »

Yes, and it's a really worthwhile upgrade.  The old square hollow swingarms had a tendency to bend, crack or even break.  I thought I was changing mine on the SERG prophylactically a few years ago.  But when I got it out found it both bent and cracked. 

There are two ways to make the change.  One is with the bushing kits that mate to the 02 and newer swingarms on their OD and keep the smaller cross shaft size from the 01s and prior on their ID.  The other option is to change cross shafts also but that means boring out the tranny case to accept the larger diameter shaft from the 02-08 bikes.  The larger shaft just isn't worth the trouble.

Rivera and Sta-Bo both make (or made) kits for this.  Sta-Bo's is their Sta-Bo III.  I just looked and can't find the Rivera kit in the Drag book nor anyplace else either.  Perhaps no longer available?

The Sta-Bo kit makes for an easy retrofit though.  Allows using the 02-08 swingarm on the 01 and prior touring bikes.  Brake caliper mount stays the same.  You'll be using the larger 1" axle (and losing the old stupid axle adjusters) so you'll need to change bearings in the wheels too.  Some of the old wheels don't have a large enough center hole to accept the spacer between the bearings for the 1" axle.  That's not a deal breaker though.  All of the aluminum wheels can be bored through to accept the spacer.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware you were referring to putting an 02-08 swingarm on an older bike. I had the thought of an 09 for my 08 to accept a wider tire. But I'm pretty sure it won't be worth the money for purely aesthetic purposes

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 05:36:18 PM »

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware you were referring to putting an 02-08 swingarm on an older bike. I had the thought of an 09 for my 08 to accept a wider tire. But I'm pretty sure it won't be worth the money for purely aesthetic purposes

Ooops, wrong retro....  ???

Have not seen an instance of the 09 and up swingarm used on the 02 to 08 bikes.  Everything else in the driveline is different including its length so doubt it's an option.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 06:27:56 PM »

Ooops, wrong retro....  ???

Have not seen an instance of the 09 and up swingarm used on the 02 to 08 bikes.  Everything else in the driveline is different including its length so doubt it's an option.

Gotcha, thanks. I've seen complete kits, but big $$$, thought if I could pickup an 09 swingarm on the cheap it may be worth while

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 06:50:32 PM »

Gotcha, thanks. I've seen complete kits, but big $$$, thought if I could pickup an 09 swingarm on the cheap it may be worth while

The wide tire swingarm kits used to be at least not uncommon.  Were commonly pricey though.  Personally the wide tire thing was never my thing.  Just different personal tastes.  So it's not anything I ever paid much attention too.  Some of that got really extreme though.  So it that look did float someone's boat they could push it a long way.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 10:24:10 PM »

The wide tire swingarm kits used to be at least not uncommon.  Were commonly pricey though.  Personally the wide tire thing was never my thing.  Just different personal tastes.  So it's not anything I ever paid much attention too.  Some of that got really extreme though.  So it that look did float someone's boat they could push it a long way.

Yea I'd be stoked with a 180 on it. I know it won't make a difference in the ride, just looks more aggressive. Such a large bike and a skinny tire. I'd never wanna go any wider than that because I don't care for that really fat look either. Just want it a bit bigger, so....not worth the money to do so.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2013, 11:21:01 PM »

Yea I'd be stoked with a 180 on it. I know it won't make a difference in the ride, just looks more aggressive. Such a large bike and a skinny tire. I'd never wanna go any wider than that because I don't care for that really fat look either. Just want it a bit bigger, so....not worth the money to do so.

That was something that always amazed me to almost dizzying levels; the expense that would be gone to for an extra inch or two.  It's not like it's a.... well, never mind there; it's just a back tire!

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2013, 11:41:41 PM »

Well it was this time at band camp what I felt loose on the road......okay probably funnier in my head

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 12:02:14 AM »

Well it was this time at band camp

That's always funny.  It's weird what can become iconic.  "This one time at band camp" and 99% of everyone here is going to know exactly what that means.  Not bad for a movie line from 1999.  :2vrolijk_21:

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2013, 12:21:14 AM »

That was something that always amazed me to almost dizzying levels; the expense that would be gone to for an extra inch or two.  It's not like it's a.... well, never mind there; it's just a back tire!

Oh I know  :lolk:

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2013, 11:32:37 AM »

That's always funny.  It's weird what can become iconic.  "This one time at band camp" and 99% of everyone here is going to know exactly what that means.  Not bad for a movie line from 1999.  :2vrolijk_21:
Isn't she the Wendy's girl now?

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2013, 06:00:02 PM »

No not the Wendy's girls. She is on a show called "how I meet your mother" or something like that.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2013, 08:37:13 PM »

Isn't she the Wendy's girl now?

Allyson Hannigan.  Before "How I Met Your Mother" and the "American Pie" movies was in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer."  Yeah, I think she's hot.

grtguy657

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2013, 07:04:16 PM »

Ok we t to dealer today had few things done, they did replace grease in steering head and tightened bearings also check the call-off , said it set a little to the tight side since I was used to a metric bike, reall made it ride and handle better

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 10:58:37 AM »

Has anyone gone to an extended swingarm to fix the problem?  I'm thinking about going that route on my 2010.
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.