Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Gear drive cams  (Read 6288 times)

Street Stalker

• Junior CVO Member
  • All show and no go, but about to change
Re: Gear drive cams
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 05:39:33 PM »

If you go to gear drive be prepared for more engine noise.  My gear drive Zippers 575's are quiet when cold but get a little noisy when hot.  If your pipes are fairly loud you won't notice much...

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 05:47:45 PM »

If you go to gear drive be prepared for more engine noise.

Street Stalker

• Junior CVO Member
  • All show and no go, but about to change
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 04:46:27 PM »

No, does that keep the noise down? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

I did add the Baisley spring though

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 05:13:07 PM »

I think you'll find the whole motor somewhat quieter at high temps with the increased scavage and flow of the Feuling...

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006, 06:53:41 PM »

I'm thinking of going to gear drive cams next Spring.  I notice some of you have the Freedom FCC9 and others have the 14.  What is the best set up for my '05 Banana with Freedom pipes etc.  Bike has a Power Commander.  I don't really want to split the cases to install a Timken bearing. [smiley=banana.gif]

Thanks, Chris
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2006, 10:16:57 PM »

I'm thinking of going to gear drive cams next Spring.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2006, 11:36:47 PM »

I'm thinking of going to gear drive cams next Spring.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 11:37:33 PM by twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2006, 11:41:08 PM »

Hmm, for whatever reason that link pulled a Humpty Dumpty and I was like all the Kings horses and men.  So try this instead:

http://www.gpdesigns.net/whatsnew/twin_cam_outer_bearing_support.html

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2006, 11:42:47 PM »

Chris, if you're concerned about the bottom end at all or just want to ease your own mind on the matter there is a device that (apparently) offers real improvement over stock and does so without having to open the bottom end.
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2006, 11:44:19 PM »

Don, this link comes up "Product Not Found" I was curious what it was. Hoist!

It's a different kind of bearing support Hoist.  Take a look at the very next post right after the one with the screwed up link.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2006, 11:53:17 PM »

[highlight]It's a different kind of bearing support [/highlight]Hoist.

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2006, 12:02:22 AM »

Got it Don. Wow, what a great idea. And that thing looks bulletproof too. What about interference with the Primary Chain tensioner or the Hayden Auto Chain Tensioner, any issue you see? Hoist!

Can't speak to bulletproof.  But one can certainly hope!

I used this because I was upping the motor a bit, but not a ton.  I specifically was not doing enough to make me think I HAD to do the Timken conversion.  But I could do this piece and know I was adding a significant degree of insurance; and not have to split the cases to do it.

As to the tensioners; the early iterations of this part did not account for the Harley branded chain tensioner.  It wasn't a big deal as you could account for it by relieving a small amount of material from the unit in an area that harmed nothing by doing so.  The current version of the part is machined such that it accounts for the tensioner without having to do anything.  

Whey I asked them about it they didn't/wouldn't claim experience with the Hayden or other third party tensioners.  But the unit does specifically fit around the Harley branded unit now.

When ordering mine I was assuming that it was another of those pieces we do whose price is significantly accounted for by what it does or that we'll pay for it every bit as much as what it is.  When you get this in hand, however, it is an impressive part.  Anyone who has ever spent any time with machine tools will be immediately impressed.  It is a beautifully made set of components that goes together like music.  Really really sweet.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2006, 12:21:48 AM »

Can't speak to bulletproof.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2006, 12:39:05 AM »

That's what I thought when I saw it and called it "bulletproof". Between that and the Feuling, you got a lot tied up in bearing support plates! Ithink it's money well spent though. For what you did to that motor, a little insurance can go a long way toward peace of mind. Especially if you're still concerned about those heat marks. I think that was from the forging process, not your engine. I would definitely consider this if I was doing a hot-rod top end job. BTW, I didn't check, are they only for TCs or do they have them for EVO's as well? Hoist!

Hoist, if memory serves they didn't offer an EVO product.  And as much as I'm pleased to have added the Feuling plate when I was working mine I would have been satisfied with the OE part were it not for a smoking deal on eBay.  Someone had a Feuling plate listed awhile back while I was still in "wait" mode for all the parts to get in.  But the seller spelled Feuling considerably wrong and apparently no one but me found the listing.  Seller had started it at $110.00 (I think that's what it was, darn close anyhow) and it never went up from there.

I agree that I think what we saw on my rods was never a problem within the engine.  Enough so that while I was willing to jaw about it I never seriously considered doing anymore than that.  And if I was really concerned there was something going on I'd not have not taken care of while I was already that far in.  But hopefully the believed lack of problem there, along with the extras like the Feuling oiling parts and the bearing support will make this a motor that can hum away for a long time to come.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2006, 12:51:10 AM »

Hoist, if memory serves they didn't offer an EVO product.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.