Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Southwest travels Nov. 2013  (Read 13071 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Southwest travels Nov. 2013
« on: November 17, 2013, 01:53:17 PM »

Not exactly a ride report so I'm putting this in pictures.  In between jobs...putting my things in storage I decided to hit the road.  From Coronado, Calif. traveling many of the same places that a group of us from this forum rode a couple of years ago, I headed out....come on along, you can join me.....

Our previous ride report that took us to these same locations....  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=74330.0

For those that don't know, Coronado is a small resort town that sits in the middle of San Diego bay....very close to Mexico and only about 2 1/2 hrs. from Yuma.

For those passing through Yuma, the Best Western Plus Yuma Mall hotel is very nice and directly across the street (walking distance) from the mall for your lady to visit

and in the mall, I ate at Famous Dave's B-B-Q.  Great choice!

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Re: Southwest travels Nov. 2013
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 01:54:44 PM »

The next morning, up early I continued east towards Phoenix.  Passed through Gila Bend.....where 5 old crabs live. ;D

North of Phoenix a ways, I entered the red rock country

and quickly Sedona looms in the distance

Rolling north up through Oak Creek Canyon (Hwy 89A)....

Stopped by The Route 66 Roadhouse Bar & Grill (and Grand Canyon HD) for a nice Porterhouse steak for lunch

In the back of the Roadhouse Grill is a little shop....Trikes By DJ   http://www.trikesbydj.com/   DJ bought an 09 SERG and converted it to a trike and coicidentally, I ended up buying all the take off parts (streatched fender, LED lights, streatched bags, tire and wheel and exhaust) on ebay for $1200 by clicking on "buy it now" just seconds after the add was posted.  I had Jim (hd-dude on this forum) add all the CVO goodies to Terrie's 09 Street Glide. 

DJ has received much attention and notoriety for his John Deere trike and manure spreader (cargo trailer).  That trike and trailer are now for sale to the right farmer.  ;)

Moving on down Route 66, I had to run through Williams, Az. again

and a new feature just at the edge of town is Bearizona a drive through wild life park that has all the critters of the west in one location....(I didn't drive it this time and don't know if motorcycles are allowed...but I will make it a point to tour the next time I pass through Williams, Ariz.)

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 01:59:09 PM »

I finally arrived at the Grand Canyon just before sun down

I stayed at the Best Western Premier Grand Canyon.  Being a "Premier" Best Western, it has features that most BWs do not have.....like a bowling alley, arcade, hair salon, gift shop, etc. etc. that are all located inside the hotel and one of the best breakfast buffets I've ever experienced.

While I used my BW Ride Rewards points to cover about half of the hotels on this journey, because it is off season in many of these tourist locations.....I believe a King Deluxe room at this hotel only cost me $95.  Very, very reasonable during off season and........the best part....little traffic and few people all along my journey and stops! :2vrolijk_21:

By the way, there were motorcycles all along this journey....ever in the Colorado rockies.  So it's do-able this time of year, provided you've got your Gerbing gear.

Heading out the next morning, northeast, towards Monument Valley...

I stopped to view the area where one of the Flying Walinda's (I believe it was Nick Walinda) walked a tight rope across the Grand Canyon a few months back.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 02:00:07 PM »

Soon, I arrived in Monument Valley.  Checked in to Goulding's Lodge and went over to the resorvation for photos...

and a quick ride on an Indian pony....

and a view from my room balcony the next morning, as the sun was coming up....

And the John Wayne cabin (used in one of his movies) is available for tour, along with the museum (which was also used in the movie)....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 02:01:05 PM »

Moving on through Four Corners and Cortez and up through Cortez and Delores, Colorado....the way we went on our tour a couple of years ago.  Everything looks so totally different doing this route in early to mid Nov. than it did when we rode through in May 2012.  Still beautiful, but much, much different.

Another quick rest stop in Rico, Colo. where yes, it's CCcccccold!  But all the roads are clear and dry...

(Please excuse the reflections/poor pics...many of these photos were shot right through my front or side windows while I was diving)

Soon I'm back in Telluride.  One of the most beautiful towns I've ever been in, summer or fall....just incredably beautiful...(not to Jock....put it on your list!)

And look at the size of these knobby tires on their bikes and how wide the rims are.  They even have them with spikes in the tires!

Brown Dog Pizza....where the white dogs and black dogs wait patently outside  :huepfenlol2:

Of course, this time of year there's lots more wildlife.....arriving in Ouray, Colorado

At this time of year it's very easy to see why the call Ouray the "Switzerland of America".....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 02:01:56 PM »

While most waterfalls were frozen in place, the larger one was still flowing....although it look like it was flowing a frozen slush.

I had dinner at the Brown Bear Cafe in Silverton...

I stayed at the Weisbaden Spa & Hot Springs in Ouray.  Took advantage of the vapor cave a massage and the solitude while exploring the area for a couple of days.

and again, much more wild life on the Million Dollar Highway

And for you off roaders, there's the Alpine Loop   http://www.alpineloop.com/HTML/index.html

For this trip I stay on the paved road....well, for the most part.  I did do a little 4 wheeling...

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 02:03:36 PM »

They advertise it in Colorado  :nervous:

hot springs are found all over this part of the rockies

The big horn sheep licking up the water from the melted ice...

and this one seems to have a tracking coller with antenna...

I had an opportunity, as a car came from the opposite direction a bit to fast, to see this little heard go right up the side of this cliff.....so fast and so graceful....it was incredable to watch and they do it so effortlessly.

I'm going to take a break here.  I'll post more of this journey (Bryce Canyon, Zion, Las Vegas, etc.) later.

West Coast GTG   

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 04:33:25 PM »

The next morning, up early I continued east towards Phoenix.  Passed through Gila Bend.....where 5 old crabs live. ;D

My family is from Gila Bend and two of my cousins are considered the "old crabs."

My uncle used to have a used car lot across the street from the Space Age.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 04:36:43 PM »

Great pics. Those ribs looked mighty good. Thanks for the tour.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 05:32:14 PM »

Great shots, JC.  Very happy to see you are still on the road and still sharing!    :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 06:15:23 PM »

Spent a day in Cortez so I could visit the Mesa Verde Cliff Dwellings.  Again, no long lines, straight forward access, quiet and easy....I was loving every minute of this journey.

and a pack of deer right up next to the visitors center...

Heading east through Utah, and past Fort Bluff and back through Monument Valley...

Bryce Canyon and the Best Western Ruby Inn were the next stop

West Coast GTG   

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 06:52:10 PM »

Looks like a great trip, it has been years since being in some of those locations.  Thanks for posting the pictures for us.
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 07:08:17 PM »

Amazing what a difference the white powder makes!  And in November too!  Keep 'em comin' and thanks for sharing!

So glad to read that you are enjoying the journey!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 09:34:36 PM »

I stayed at the Best Western Ruby Inn, right at the entrance to Bryce Canyon NP.  They have a very nice indoor pool and hot tub.  I had a ground floor room, right across the hall from the pool so nice location

Moving on to Zion National Park...where I met a couple whose blog I'd been following for more than a year on one of the RV forums

and talkin about RVs....here's a blast from the past that I'd run into just over the Nev. state line

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 09:35:26 PM »

Arriving in Vegas, cruised by the Gold & Silver Pawn Shop as seen on TV on Pawn Stars.  A line around the block.  I stopped by later that night as I headed down to Heart Attack Grill, when there wasn't a line.  Smaller than it appears on TV and much older looking in person, both inside and out.

The first night I stayed at the Best Western Mardi Gras on the strip.  The second night I stayed at the Golden Nugget in the gold tower, pool view.  Here's a shot from my room on the 11th floor...

The pool has a water slide and the tube goes through the middle of the shark tank.  Of course I had to test drive that one, first hand

a view from under one of the waterfalls....

I got ready to take a pic and all the ladys took off, leaving their towels behind  :huepfenlol2:     Just funin....nobody was there when I got there....

This pool is up above the main pool.  It's called the Hideaway....

West Coast GTG   
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 25 queries.