Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: What else do I need  (Read 4018 times)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
What else do I need
« on: November 30, 2013, 03:26:06 PM »

OK, first let me say I have never used any type of SE tuner. TTS has always worked for me

So I go out and spend my last 20k on a FLHRSE5, knowing I will be riding a sweet SERK that sounds like a Honda Rebel for several months until TTS funds become available As I am unpacking the bags, find this in an unopened box: Price $489.00, Super Tuner Pro. Sorry for the chitty pic. At 1st my heart jumps a little, but is this all I need? I thought there was a resident module that stayed on the scoot? If there is it ain't under the seat or behind either side cover. HELP, somebody tell me I can dump the Honda sound without buying a tuner right now.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 03:31:05 PM by 2k »
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
Re: What else do I need
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 03:30:31 PM »

Sell it! Put it on Ebay & put the funds toward the TTS. :bananarock: :bananarock:
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 03:31:20 PM »

Nice! Thats what i use. Works great as long as you find the right guy to "work it"..
Alan

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 04:03:20 PM »

I'm assuming the bike was previously owned, correct?  If so, I'd guess that the previous owner had the bike tuned and unlike so many others was decent enough to leave the VCI with the bike for the next guy.  If that is the case and that VCI was used to tune that particular bike, it is married to the ECM and you can't sell it to someone else.

If you want to use it yourself, as opposed to handing it to a professional tuner to use for you, you will need to buy the CD from Harley that contains the software for your computer as well as the canned maps Harley supplies.  You will also need cables to connect the VCI to the computer and to the bike.  If you already have cables for another brand of tuning device you may be able to use those, if not you can buy them from many sources including the stealer.  There is no module that stays connected to the bike.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 04:18:03 PM »

If you're sure the box is unopened, then you can do anything that you want to with it. The HD Pro Tuner is a good tuner, but like all other tuners out there it is only as good as the person doing the tuning. I have found that much more of the "tuning pros" prefer to tune with the TTS.

You might take the bike to the Dealer and have them check the ecm to make sure that the HD tuner is not married to the bike already, they can check the ecm and not have to open the tuner box to do so.

A set of FullSac baffles, a K&N air filter, and you will be able to get rid of that "Honda" sound. Getting rid of the cat and a good tune will cool the bike down a lot and it will run much better.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 10:01:41 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 04:52:19 PM »

OK, first let me say I have never used any type of SE tuner. TTS has always worked for me

So I go out and spend my last 20k on a FLHRSE5, knowing I will be riding a sweet SERK that sounds like a Honda Rebel for several months until TTS funds become available As I am unpacking the bags, find this in an unopened box: Price $489.00, Super Tuner Pro. Sorry for the chitty pic. At 1st my heart jumps a little, but is this all I need? I thought there was a resident module that stayed on the scoot? If there is it ain't under the seat or behind either side cover. HELP, somebody tell me I can dump the Honda sound without buying a tuner right now.

32111-13 CD-Rom kit. MSRP $39.95
32184-084A SE tuner cable kit. MSRP $45.95

These are what you need to use the tuner on the bike
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 06:24:41 PM »

If you're interested I have new in packages, never used.
SE Pro Tuner cable kit #32184-08A
SE Pro Super Tuner CD #32111-11
Super Tuner DVD Training Disc #32101-10

Pm me if your interested. The price will be right!

Danner
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 06:39:59 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like thats the way I will go now, money considered
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 08:07:15 PM »

If you're sure the box is unopened, then you can do anything that you want to with it. The HD Pro Tuner is a good tuner, but like all other tuners out there it is only as good as the person doing the tuning. I have found that much more of the "tuning pros" prefer to tune with the TTS.

You might take the bike to the Dealer and have them check the ecm to make sure that the HD tuner is not married to the bike already, they can check the ecm and not have to open the tuner box to do so.

A set of FullSac baffles, a K&N air filter, and you will be able to get rid of that "Honda" sound. Getting rid of the cat and a good tune will cool the bike down a lot and it will run much better.
Let me start this with saying that I am not mechanically inclined at all and am one of those guys that pisses many people on this forum off because I can't do anything myself and have to pay people to do every mod I have done to my bike. With that being said, I am a researcher when it comes to those mods (always starting on this forum first) and try and make decisions based on the research. I will completely agree that most tuners prefer the TTS but it did seem to me when I got my device that the tuners with the best reputation on this forum (and other places) would use the HD tuner and get great results with it. That doesn't mean that those same tuners wouldn't get the same results with the TTS device though. The results that Bob Lobenburg got on my stock crate 120r with the HD tuner could not have been any better no matter what device was used.
Lots of opinions for sure when it comes to tuners both people and devices!
Alan

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »

Let me start this with saying that I am not mechanically inclined at all and am one of those guys that pisses many people on this forum off because I can't do anything myself and have to pay people to do every mod I have done to my bike. With that being said, I am a researcher when it comes to those mods (always starting on this forum first) and try and make decisions based on the research. I will completely agree that most tuners prefer the TTS but it did seem to me when I got my device that the tuners with the best reputation on this forum (and other places) would use the HD tuner and get great results with it. That doesn't mean that those same tuners wouldn't get the same results with the TTS device though. The results that Bob Lobenburg got on my stock crate 120r with the HD tuner could not have been any better no matter what device was used.
Don't feel alone... I'm not mechanically inclined and prefer not to work on my bike... any tuning device is only as good as the person using it... In other words find someone that you feel confident in their tuning abilities and go w/the device the recommend (why be the guinea pig and have them learn a new device on your bike :nixweiss:) If a person can't do the work themselves find someone that is competent and they can trust and leave it to them. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 08:28:36 PM »

Now that the box is opened and the seal broken....it isn't worth much to anyone....unless you have a friend that wants one.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 08:39:28 PM »

I used the SE tuner on my 2013 SERK. I found a guy that had a really good reputation and he prefered that tuner. I put V&H hi output slip ons with the V&H X-Pipe on myself and found a map in the software that I installed. This allowed me to ride the bike 3 hours to the tuner and he polished up that map with a good dyno tune. I wound up with 98 horse power and 118 foot pounds of tourque. My fuel mileage is about 37 MPG. If you can find the right guy that is comfortable working with the SE tuner you are good to go. This particular guy used to be a manager at a MOCO shop but has had his own cutom shop for a while now and he was reasonable also and not out to screw folks. He charged me $250.00 and told me that if I put cams in it he would re-tune it and not charge me the full 250.00 the next time. It took me awhile to find him but look around hard their are good tuners out there that like the SE tuner. To bad you dont live close you could use my cables and my computer that the software is loaded on.

By the way it is bound to work on your bike because it worked on mine and they are both BLUE :huepfenlol2:

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 09:31:42 PM »

I was a mechanic by trade for close to 20 years in a prior life, did all the wrenching on my Sporty, Shovel, GPz 1100, and all the dirt bikes over the years. Now that I am semi-retired, still have tools, and more time, I never turn a wrench anymore except to service my boat, I just wanna ride...

I should have been more clear " Most of the tuners that I spoke with prefer TTS". (wasn't bashing any tuner out there, I'm not doing the tuning so I don't have any opinion one way or the other) The major reason I went with the SEPST is that I travel a good bit and I have to rely on the closest Harley Dealer if I have a problem...

Going with the Power Commander V / AutoTune ~ gonna try that closed loop thing for a while... And see if I can get out of the dyno business? 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 09:34:44 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 11:07:37 AM »

Just an observation.....but most indy turners sell the TTS and not the SE....therefore by default they are more familiar with the TSS...thus they prefer them.   The HD shop sell the SE turner thus by default they are more familiar with the SE.

For me....(lessons learned) I have both the TSS and SE for my bike and this happened because I first had it tuned by an indy and he wanted to use the TTS....but the tune sucked.....then during some warranty work my HD dealer questioned the tune and put it on the dyno and told me if he could not improve the preformace I would not have to pay....but he wanted to use the SE turner......OK..he did...and I payed.

My point is that (and it's been said before) it the man that is doing the tuning not the tuner.....so my advise is ask around and see who are the best turners in your area and go talk to them....you will know in a hurry who is passionate about their craft.

Good luck and the fact that you already have the SE tuner don't let that decide who does your tuning....it will be the best money you spend.

60FLH

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 08:48:21 AM »

The software is now distributed by HD as a free download.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.