Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Cam question?  (Read 9705 times)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Cam question?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 07:01:51 AM »

OK Harry I agree with you now. Tommyo send your heads out. One thing Harry forgot have them shaved 20 thou if you make a piston change 40 thou if not and look at Zippers Red Shift 570 cams in gear drive. While you have the dealer in the cam cavity put in a Fueling oil pump and a Zippers shim. You can find Zippers at WWW.ZIPPERSPERFORMANCE.COM

You will be very happy with that package on a bagger.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 07:02:51 AM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 12:31:23 PM »

Dawg,

Thanks for putting the smile on my face this morning it was good to finally get over here and laugh a bit.

If they shave .040 off the face they wont want to use the .030 cometic prolly put the compression upwards of 10.9 to 11.1.  Prolly best to use a stock harley gasket if you go down this road which generally tends to spec out to be .050 or .060.   I would only know this because well lets not get into that ...

TommyO is this helping to clear it up for you or making it more muddy.  If its not clear or it is confusing in any form please let me know there are several here on the site that will always chime in and help clarify, make simplier or give a better example to help you understand the process.  

The performance you and everyone else is wishing to attain is really all about the right combination for the end result.   Its also about not skimping in the wrong places and in the case what you are looking to purchase as what they are offering it will be far better for you to spend 2 or 3 hundred dollars more than to go with what they are offering you.

But the best answer I can give you perfomance related is to spend slightly less and have your stock heads or a cheap pair you can buy ported by a real professional and obtain what your looking for.

/soapbox off

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 09:38:22 PM »

HARRY my 95 inch build has the heads shaved 85 thou and I run cometic's. You have to look at the cam over lap.

Since the dealer is doing the build I can almost bet they will use STOCK HARLEY GASKETS!!!!!!

He needs to look to be (with F/I ) around 10.0 to one corrected.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 11:36:32 PM »

Dawg,

Your right 10 to 1 corrected is the way to go, but the problem is they havent set him up with a quality / value package its more of the slap it together inexpensive way to go.   They are giving him cast pistons over forged they are giving him the cheapest heads which have absolutely no QC on them as pairs.  I have seen one head be great and the other so bad my stock were better.

I recommended to him to buy 5 over pistons / rings and then have the cylinders honed to get the tightest fitment he could based on tolerances / clearances.   Tommy understood how important break in would be if he goes on the tight side of a build.  He is considering the following cams S&S 585, Andrews 60g, and Zippers 570g.   He is going 10.5 to 1 using a cometic .030 vs harley .050 or .060.   The issue is deciding whether to have his heads done or buy HTCC or other as well as they were giving him stock lifters instead of SE Lifters and so on and so on.

Tommy is a bit more educated tonight and is going to go revisit the dealer to have a more indepth discussion about what his specific wants are now and the combinations open to him.   Hopefully the shop he is dealing with will treat him well and understand what he wants / needs to keep reliability and get the most bang for his dollar.  If he wants more help I am sure we can put together a proper parts list for him by sku number and let him revisit the dealer again.   I don't think that is going to be necessary as he has a pretty good handle on the pitfalls infront of him if he leaves it up to them to interpret what he wants.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2006, 03:58:25 AM »

HARRY I am glad I am getting the rest of the story now!!!!!!

HTCC heads over sending his out would not even be an option. SEND THEM OUT!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2006, 09:57:43 AM »

Dawg,

You can only suggest ... which has been done by you and me ...  Beyond that its his decision on this.

-harry

tommyo

• Throttles on the right!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2006, 06:42:44 PM »

To all that has helped,

This is what I think I'm going with:

Ported HTCC heads pt# 16925-02b W/intake
SE lifters and pushrods
S&S 585g gear driven
Std. SE forged 1550 bore pistons (coated)
and all other nes. parts

With your help I have spent about a $1000 more but I'm with you guys on this!

Thanks again. Nice chattin' with you Harry.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 07:11:27 PM by tommyo »
When in doubt... GAS it!!!

Starting over!!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2006, 09:22:18 PM »

TommyO,

Were good at helping ya spend money on this site, but the idea was to give you more bang for your buck and reach reliability and have some fun too.

Forged pistons ....  get the Forged Pistons and personally I like the 60g more than the 585 from S&S.

K&N Airfilter or Zippers Air Filter ....  model 800 by K&N i think.

BTW did you talk to the Stealer Ooops I mean Dealer yet and what did they think of your revelation on part swapping ... really curious what their feedback to you was.

And your very welcome,

-harry

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2006, 07:59:39 AM »

[/highlight]

VERY BAD CHOICE! First those heads are the cheapest set of SE heads that the MOCO offers and second they are only good for .575 lift not .585.  Harry had a much better idea and I have to agree partly. Take you heads and send them out and have them done the way you want them done for a little more cost then you are spending now. That way you will know what you have and A MUCH BETTER SET OF HEADS. There are a bunch of good head porters in this country some much better then others. PM me and I will give you a few ideas of proven people.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

AMS( http://www.automotivemachine.com/ ) in FT. Worth does an outstanding job on Stock heads. For about 600 they will port and flow your heads and will outperform the SE heads  Call Steve,great guy to talk to and he'll give you the scoop, also right down the street for D&D Exhaust and does  a lot of R&D work Dave Rash... Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

tommyo

• Throttles on the right!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2006, 08:03:59 PM »

BTW did you talk to the Stealer Ooops I mean Dealer yet and what did they think of your revelation on part swapping ... really curious what their feedback to you was.

My dealer was pretty cool about my changes. Here is the story:
I bought the bike there about 2-3 months ago. I've been trying to build a relationship with them so that there is a future for a non- educated harley guy like myself. It begins with me talking through a service writer that is as educated at this as I am. The service mang. is the guy. But I seem to have to go through the writer. They have several packages to choose from for engine work. I asked for a big bore kit (95") and that is what I originally got. But with the help from you all. Now I have a dependable high- preformance kit. They hope that this combination of stuff works well so they can add it to there line up. Kutter is a all purpose shop. They have a dyno and a machine shop and have all kinds of service awards. I guess you could say that they originally didn't take advantage of me. They were just going to build a entry level kit. I guess they have some sort of software that they can enter all of my stuff before the build to see if it is compatible. I'm sure I will be fine, with all the help from you guys. Thanks. Trial and error!!
When in doubt... GAS it!!!

Starting over!!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2006, 07:41:34 PM »

What's a good cam for stock 07 heads- - - - - -meaning it can't have more than .550 lift.

B B
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 08:48:56 PM by SPIDERMAN »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2006, 11:44:59 PM »

Harry,
           I owe you a couple beverages of your choice, next time I see you. You saved me beau coup bucks buddy with your advice.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Big B

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2006, 01:20:07 AM »

Brian,

Glad to help ya out.  Happy Thanksgiving.

-harry

hogasm

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2006, 05:20:29 PM »

What's a good cam for stock 07 heads- - - - - -meaning it can't have more than .550 lift.

B B

Big B   I called Andrews yesterday checking on a cam for Crash,  in passing they informed me that they now have cams for the new 96, 103, and 110 motors. They are utilizing a roller chain. I am out of town now so I don't have their phone number on me.

Hogasm

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2006, 06:03:52 PM »

Here's a link to the ANdrews Cams Page, with specs on the new cams:

http://www.andrews-products.com/motorcycle/cams/T96_ChainDriveCams.htm

It looks loke the 26H or 37H would be good choices for a bolt in upgrade. These have the same specs as the 26G and 37G cams which have both been a proven cam for years...

If it were me and I were changing cams I would go with the gear drive versions.

http://www.andrews-products.com/motorcycle/cams/T96_GearDriveCams.htm
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 24 queries.