Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Cam question?  (Read 9715 times)

tommyo

• Throttles on the right!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
Cam question?
« on: November 12, 2006, 10:16:43 AM »

Have an 06' Ultra Classic that went to the dealer (Kutter HD, Janesville) for a 95" big bore kit. My question is what cam fits me and what are my choises?

I like to ride pretty hard with friends or by myself. (raced motocross for 25 years so going fast is all I know) but am trying to slow it down a bit. Most of my riding is with the wife doing long weekend trips. Just looking fo a little input. I've been told there is a tq cam or a top speed cam. I'm sure there is something in the middle for me.
When in doubt... GAS it!!!

Starting over!!

Bagger

Re: Cam question?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 11:13:17 AM »

I had the 95" kit on my 02 Ultra.  Instead of the SE203 cams which came with the kit, I had the builder put in a set of Crane Cams HTC 310-2 cams.  Good torque cams that churned out 76 HP and 90 FT LBS TQ.  Coupled with a custom SERT map and Vance and Hines Big Shots Long for Baggers, that thing was plenty fast and powerful for me (205), wife (115), and all of our traveling stuff.  I could actually pass cars........right now!  Since I sold that bike, I don't have the data saved anymore, but you can get it from their website.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 11:21:18 AM »

tommyo

Cams are a factor of your riding style as much as they are performance. My advice would be to talk with the tech doing the install about how you ride.

Having said that, I'll attempt to expalin the bascis of cams and believe me when I say basics. This is a subject many talented people have spent their lifetimes working at. There are three factors to consider in picking a cam; lift, duration and overlap. Pick up the 07 Screamin Eagle parts catalogue and turn to page 59. All of the all of the numbers for all of the cams are listed on a chart. Overlap is found by adding intake BTDC and exhaust ATDC. For instance on an SE257 ( nice cam by the way) the intake BTDC is 24 and the exhaust ATDC is 21 so that cam has an overlap of 45 degrees. That means that for 45 degree out of 360, both the intake and the exhaust valves are opening an closing at the same time. I personally prefer a cam with overlap in this range, but that's just me. Duration is the time the intake valves are open, as you can see in the chart, an SE257 has 250 degrees of duration on the intake valve and 260 degrees on the exhaust side. So combining overlap and duration you can see that your intake valves with an SE257 would be open for 205 degrees before the exhaust valves began to open. Not bad and when combined with the lift for these cams, like I said I personally feel this is a good cam. The lift is how far the valves open. Note the chart states the SE257 cams have a lift of .569" for both intake and exhaust . So that's why I like this cam, it has good across the  board numbers without concentrating on one thing or another. By that I mean, a high lift (over .6")  long duration cam with overlap in the low 40's will produce a lot of upper RPM hp (think drag strip) and a more moderate lift ( .5" ) with less duration will produce mid range RPM power. OK, I'm gonna stop here because I know there's a bunch more folks on this site who really and I mean really get into this chit. I've had my day with all that and prefer to do whatever mods I do on the longevity/streetability side. Anyway, good luck to you

B B  

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 07:11:42 PM »

Tommy,

First off are you going with Harley Cams or you going with Gear Drive cams?

If your staying with a 95" kit and staying all harley put in the 251 cam it will give you the grunt off the line as well as the top end.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 07:15:38 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 08:49:49 PM »

Have an 06' Ultra Classic that went to the dealer (Kutter HD, Janesville) for a 95" big bore kit. My question is what cam fits me and what are my choises?

I like to ride pretty hard with friends or by myself. (raced motocross for 25 years so going fast is all I know) but am trying to slow it down a bit. Most of my riding is with the wife doing long weekend trips. Just looking fo a little input. I've been told there is a tq cam or a top speed cam. I'm sure there is something in the middle for me.
Tommyo,
I can't tell you which specific cam is going to be best for you, others here are better at that and have already given you some to consider. Only thing I can add with taking your post into consideration is that I would lean more toward a cam that offered TQ versus HP. You stated that you have extensive background in motocross and like the speed, but remember now you are on a much heavier bike (and you have a very important passenger on the back now), so your need for WOT (wide open throttle) isn't going to be needed as much as it was in motocross. What is really nice for the heavier bikes is TQ something that is going to get that weight up and going, something you can appreciate when you want to pass the semi on a two-lane road, something you can impress your buddies w/from stoplight to stoplight, etc. Remember TQ is what you feel, and HP is what you get if you hold the throttle WFO.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 09:31:45 PM »

Harry,

This is all new to me. I had a '01 RK with a 95 kit but I bought it that way. It was all HD stuff. When I got done with it buy changing pipes and adding a power com. it put out 85 hp and 100tq. Now that I'm starting out from scratch I need some direction. I still have to get together again with my dealer and find out all the exacts. We did talk about gear driven cams but that is all that was said. Not witch one. I'm going with the SE heads. Already have Rinehart's and a PC. Looking to join the 100hp club if possible. They said they put a package together that was about $2500. Like I said it has all been talk over the phone . I still need to see something on paper. With this price does it seem like they are using HD cams or GD cams? Thanks for all your info.

Thanks to everyones input.

Starting over!!

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 09:44:07 PM »

Firedood,

Thanks for your input. Your idea is what I have been leaning towards. Thanks again.

Starting over!!

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 08:47:09 AM »

Harry,

This is all new to me. I had a '01 RK with a 95 kit but I bought it that way. It was all HD stuff. When I got done with it buy changing pipes and adding a power com. it put out 85 hp and 100tq. Now that I'm starting out from scratch I need some direction. I still have to get together again with my dealer and find out all the exacts. We did talk about gear driven cams but that is all that was said. Not witch one. [highlight]I'm going with the SE heads.[/highlight] Already have Rinehart's and a PC. Looking to join the 100hp club if possible. They said they put a package together that was about $2500. Like I said it has all been talk over the phone . I still need to see something on paper. With this price does it seem like they are using HD cams or GD cams? Thanks for all your info.

Thanks to everyones input.

Which model of SE heads???? If you are going to run the 16925-02b heads you can a gear driven S&S 585 or 625 if you change and run high comp pistons. This will get you in the 100hp range. You may want to look into a set of Red Shift cams as well.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 03:23:23 PM »

Tommy,

If you are going with the htcc heads or the SE heads you can put out the 100 hp / 100 tq without too much trouble.

They are charging you approx 11 hours for juggs / pistons and heads / cam install

Generally 4 hours on Cam  6 to 7 on top end.

so figuring heads are about 1000 bucks 11 hours of labor is 770  that is leaving about 800 bucks for cylinders / cam / pistons .. so no it doesnt sound like he is giving you a price for Gear Drive at 2500 bucks unless he is figuring in a great discount somewhere.

Juggs figure about 300 bucks harley cam 259 or 279 pistons are about 250 and adjustable pushrods figuring about 139.00  all prices subject to change and may or may not meet harley approval.    

If you were to add about 350 bucks to the price I am sure you could get into a set of cams like the Andrews 55g if you stay below 10 to 1 or the 60g if you go 10.5 to one.   Another good cam would be the 570 or 585 from S&S or the Zippers 570 gear drive.  

If you do stay all harley consider the 251 as probably the best bang for what your asking for and that is from my own person experience and seat of the pants.   I have installed and run all the cams mentioned.   I would make a suggestion though to you and that is to buy a cheap set of your stock heads and do an over the counter exchange with someone like Branch FlowMetrics or Baisley or someone of this caliber.  If you pm or call me I would be happy to discuss this with you and see if we cant put you down the road to your end goal.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 08:34:46 PM »

Which model of SE heads???? If you are going to run the [highlight]16925-02b [/highlight]heads you can a gear driven S&S 585 or 625 if you change and run high comp pistons. This will get you in the 100hp range. You may want to look into a set of Red Shift cams as well.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

16952-06 w/585g cam kit w/ gear
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 08:36:10 PM by tommyo »

Starting over!!

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 08:46:14 PM »

Harry,

Thanks for all the great info. Seems like you have been down my road before (a couple of times). I have an estimate in front of me now and the total is $2654.00 With SE heads and 585g gear driven cams. This also includes a pre dyno on my bike now. I got a 20% disc. on parts and 10% on labor. After the break in I'll have to do some more time on the dyno. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions so I hope I can bother you again. Dealer isn't going to start for a few weeks yet so I have a little time to change things if I have to. I'm guessing this is a 10:1 kit? What is stock?

Thanks again,

Tommy O

Starting over!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 08:51:00 PM »

Tommy,

The stock compression ratio for a TC88 (static) is 8.9:1

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 08:56:45 PM »

grc, thanks!

Starting over!!

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 11:10:48 PM »

[highlight]16952-06 w/585g cam kit w/ gear
[/highlight]

VERY BAD CHOICE! First those heads are the cheapest set of SE heads that the MOCO offers and second they are only good for .575 lift not .585.  Harry had a much better idea and I have to agree partly. Take you heads and send them out and have them done the way you want them done for a little more cost then you are spending now. That way you will know what you have and A MUCH BETTER SET OF HEADS. There are a bunch of good head porters in this country some much better then others. PM me and I will give you a few ideas of proven people.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 01:44:38 AM »

Damn Dawg I must be slipping if your only going to partly agree ...  We just love to help them go fast and spend their money .. its not only an OCD for our Bikes but everyone elses :)

Have to agree with Dawg and that would be send em out for best results if you go 585 go 10.5 to 1 compression with high velocity intakes at 10 inches with your manifold not an elogated one that someone tries to sell you on flow.  And dont accept and answer at 25" what you want is at 10" with your manifold .. if you get that you will have a really really good idea of what the flow really is expect to see around 155 to 170.    If your not going to send them out go with the HTCC's not the ones you have chosen.  Also if you send them out nothing bigger than  a 1.94 intake and make sure they know the cam your using and allow the heads to be setup for this cam / clearances  Also make sure if you send out your heads that the rocker boxes go with them so the porter can clearance your STOCK rocker boxes accordingly.

TommyO I have been down this road ... a .... few .. times
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 24 queries.