Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heat Demon Install on 2013 RG with internal wires  (Read 3527 times)

cbtruckin

• Junior CVO Member
Heat Demon Install on 2013 RG with internal wires
« on: December 27, 2013, 12:36:09 PM »

I have my wife's 2013 RG pulled handlebars apart..  Planned on putting WO Outlaws 10" but put them up there and they're too short so exchanging them for 14".  Going to install heat demons also.  Shouldn't be bad running all the wires through at once.

Now the question.  I have the same bike 2013 RG 1 1/4" bars wired internally.  She got me heat demons for Christmas.  I am not changing my handlebars.  All I need to do is install heat demons.  Any tricks to run the heat demon wires through the bars with stock wires already in there?  Their video install is not with internal wiring, just their wiring.  I don't want to have to undo all my connectors and pull wires out just to run everything together.  And I'm sure if I take the handlebars off, unplug connectors, and try to do it on the work bench it will be easier.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Corey

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Re: Heat Demon Install on 2013 RG with internal wires
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 12:50:59 PM »

The 'fish-tape' that comes with the Heat Demons is nice and slim, yet, pushable....use some dish soap as lube. I've also heard of weed eater string being used.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 12:55:02 PM »

The install is a bitch.   Just did this in Nov but haven't ridden yet.  Still putting the bike back together from cam chest work-another story.

My heated grips crapped out on the 10 SEUltra so I installed the HeatDemon's..  I installed the old style kit where the throttle side heater is a metal one like the lh heater.  The newest kit has both type heaters plus a glue on type that attaches to the twist grip sensor.

I have the Harley "reach" bars so had both ends of the bars reamed back in 2010 when I put them on so if I had to put heat demons on in the future I would be ready.

Had to pull twist grip sensor and wiring out of rh bar.  Still barely enough room to snake the small Heat demon wires thru the bars.  I just pulled them to the middle of the bars and basically fished one side at a time.

Just time consuming tedious work.  Plan all day and if you do it in a couple of hours-great.

Good luck.  Have had them on 2 other bikes and my wife's current bike so decided on the demons instead of replacing with harley's again.

cbtruckin

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 12:58:52 PM »

That fish tape might slide right through there with the stock wires already in there.  I always used safety wire before when running internal wires but there was nothing else in there.  I would lube the wires with lotion and pull.

I'm just hoping I don't have to pull the bars off the bike to do it.

Thanks,
Corey

cbtruckin

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 01:01:44 PM »

The install is a bitch.   Just did this in Nov but haven't ridden yet.  Still putting the bike back together from cam chest work-another story.

My heated grips crapped out on the 10 SEUltra so I installed the HeatDemon's..  I installed the old style kit where the throttle side heater is a metal one like the lh heater.  The newest kit has both type heaters plus a glue on type that attaches to the twist grip sensor.

I have the Harley "reach" bars so had both ends of the bars reamed back in 2010 when I put them on so if I had to put heat demons on in the future I would be ready.

Had to pull twist grip sensor and wiring out of rh bar.  Still barely enough room to snake the small Heat demon wires thru the bars.  I just pulled them to the middle of the bars and basically fished one side at a time.

Just time consuming tedious work.  Plan all day and if you do it in a couple of hours-great.

Good luck.  Have had them on 2 other bikes and my wife's current bike so decided on the demons instead of replacing with harley's again.

I got the new style heat demons with both throttle sides, tape and metal sleeve.  Not sure want the ID of the bar is yet.

Thanks,
Corey

andrew pasquale

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 01:19:40 PM »

Could not do my 05 Cvo flhtc.Tried the snake provided with heat demon s along with wire pulling lube also dissconnected wires from conections under fairing to help with no luck,even tried a wire snake but was worried i would damage internal wires. After all this i happened to check oval slot on bottom of bars and found a Small crack.After seeing that I scrapped the bars and went to Outside wiring for controls.By the way,these were Stock Hd Stainless bars.

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 09:42:27 AM »

Here's a couple tricks that have been done installing heat demons that worked for me was. A small type string and using a air compressor blowing the string through the bars. We got it on the first try.
I heard someone has used a small wire and then his shop vac and sucking it through.

You still have to take off everything on the bars.

YB
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 12:04:29 PM »

Hey cbtruckin I have heard that the 2013 and 2014 Harleys with hydraulic clutches have an alignment tab on the switch housing for the perch to line up on so you have to modify the heat demon controller for the clutch side mount. I contacted Heat Demons and they confirmed this. They Emailed me a pdf document that shows how to modify the controller to work with the alignment tab. The pdf is too large to post here. If you need or want it let me know and I can forward the EMail they sent to you.

cbtruckin

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 10:07:34 PM »

PM sent

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 12:01:02 AM »

I did mine a few nights ago with the factory wiring still in the bars. For internal wiring I use a piece of garage door cable as it is thin and relatively rigid. I pushed the cable down from the grip side and pulled it through the hole at the bottom of the bars with a small pic type tool. With extra cable hanging out both ends I was able to pull five wires through for the heated grips I was using.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

cbtruckin

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 12:27:20 AM »

Excellent tip.  Thanks.  Don't have any cable laying around but I'll go to the hardware store tomorrow for some.

Corey

cbtruckin

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 07:14:28 PM »

Got my wifes heat demons and wires pulled through her new 14" outlaws.  Now to mine with the wires still in the bars.  I got the fish tape from heat demons.  Also went and bought two sizes of garage door cable.  That sounds like it push through all the wiring.  Thanks for the tip. 
COrey

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 20 queries.